Maple stolen from Elandan Garden!

Taste

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Disappointing. I hope the maple is returned in health, unchanged, and i hope the thief has a brown thumb for the rest his days.

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
I don’t understand what idiot would steal such a tree. It’s well documented and could never be sold. It would have to be some selfish fool that wants it for themselves I suppose.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Habitual thieves are an odd lot and they don't necessarily operate on a single premise. Certainly there are people who steal with profit as an incentive, but there are many who steal because it is a game. For the victim it makes very little difference, but from my observations over several decades, the one who makes a game of it is more likely to steal something of greater value simply to chalk it up as a success. These individuals have a serious mental / emotional defect. They can be a stranger but the can just as likely be a good friend. They are often, but not always social friendly and outgoing and often feel remorse for doing something they feel is out of their control. In fact, they feel most things are not under their control and the theft of an expensive item, either individually or collectively, gives them a sense of accomplishment, while the guilt they feel is often not enough to overcome their compulsion. Those who steal with profit as their trigger can be dangerous when confronted. Their motives are more visceral and typically anti social.
Obviously neither is acceptable, but I feel that many people think this whole issue is simpler than it really is.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Was just about to post something about this myself. Thanks!

FWIW, motives for stealing most bonsai are NOT for profit. Some are, but trees taken from notable public locations have more to do with the appeal of bonsai. It represents to the layman a kind of mysterious knowledge that conveys on to them by its presence. Similar to taking a few karate classes, etc. It's silly, but it is what it is. Public exhibitions offer the opportunity for trees to be seen by a wide range of people. Some of those people can't control themselves. The National Bonsai and Penjing Museum had a tree stolen only a few years after opening. The tree was returned and the thief was found to be a teenager who wanted to impress a potential girlfriend...

Last edited:

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
At one time I had a dog kennel for my German Shepherd and it was chain link top, bottom, sides and top. 6' tall and 10 feet on sides. The 6' was a bit short.
When I no longer needed it for the dog, I did put some bonsai in it when we went away.
Easy to water through by any amateur because it was completely open but had locking door which was also chain link steel.

Just an idea.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Am sad for the society we are living in. Not a political statement but the law enforcements are too damn scare of the thugs because of the stupid politicians at the highest levels are too dumb to see.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
FWIW, the theft (s) at the National Penjing Museum happened in 1976. Same tree was stolen again in 1981. The Arb had another stolen in 1991...Stolen bonsai are not the product of some current political breakdown or law enforcement failures. They happen because bonsai is portable and is broadening its appeal.

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
Habitual thieves are an odd lot and they don't necessarily operate on a single premise. Certainly there are people who steal with profit as an incentive, but there are many who steal because it is a game. For the victim it makes very little difference, but from my observations over several decades, the one who makes a game of it is more likely to steal something of greater value simply to chalk it up as a success. These individuals have a serious mental / emotional defect. They can be a stranger but the can just as likely be a good friend. They are often, but not always social friendly and outgoing and often feel remorse for doing something they feel is out of their control. In fact, they feel most things are not under their control and the theft of an expensive item, either individually or collectively, gives them a sense of accomplishment, while the guilt they feel is often not enough to overcome their compulsion. Those who steal with profit as their trigger can be dangerous when confronted. Their motives are more visceral and typically anti social.
Obviously neither is acceptable, but I feel that many people think this whole issue is simpler than it really is.
Incredibly thorough response. I would be inclined to think you were a detective or at least a “true crime” fan. I appreciate your thoughts.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have been wanting to get some property to grow tree’s in ground. But realize a fence is easy to get through. A thief would see a fence and know whatever is behind it must be valuable. All you need is bolt cutters or a battery powered saw.

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have been wanting to get some property to grow tree’s in ground. But realize a fence is easy to get through. A thief would see a fence and know whatever is behind it must be valuable. All you need is bolt cutters or a battery powered saw.
Hide in plain sight. Plant some crap around it to divert attention

Sansokuu

Chumono
Reaction score
Wasn’t there a theory going around when the SoCal nursery thefts occurred that these thieves are shipping them overseas?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wasn’t there a theory going around when the SoCal nursery thefts occurred that these thieves are shipping them overseas?
Yes, I believe that is also a motive for some thefts, particularly on the West Coast.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Something like this for extremely nice trees? Put it right inside the pot under a bit of moss they’d never know and then you can track it to where it is?

Under many conditions I think its a great idea. Particularly if you are in a high visibility or high crime area.
Incredibly thorough response. I would be inclined to think you were a detective or at least a “true crime” fan. I appreciate your thoughts.
No, I am just old.
And I love studying the workings of the mind.
Hide in plain sight. Plant some crap around it to divert attention
Made me think of when I lived in the city. People were stealing broccoli from my garden, so I dusted them with flour and put up a skull and crossbones sign for poison. It worked.

Top Bottom