Maple stolen from Elandan Garden!

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
What a buzz kill. I hope they get the tree back unharmed.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Something like this for extremely nice trees? Put it right inside the pot under a bit of moss they’d never know and then you can track it to where it is?

Problem is the battery is only good for 6 months on low mode. Given most valuable, well developed trees get repotted every 3-5 years, having to dig it out every 6 months could be an issue.

Really sucks a nice tree was stolen yet again. Hope they get it back and hang the bastard(s)

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Jim Doyle had trees stolen and then returned recently. I think getting the word out is the best thing you can do. The community is so small that anybody truly involved will realize very quickly they messed up. Unless of course it was a rando, in that case .. RIP

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I have been wanting to get some property to grow tree’s in ground. But realize a fence is easy to get through. A thief would see a fence and know whatever is behind it must be valuable. All you need is bolt cutters or a battery powered saw.
No one is going to steal a tree growing in the ground, lol.

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
No one is going to steal a tree growing in the ground, lol.
This has been posted here before (turn your sound down, auto playing news video at the top)...

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not about bonsai, but stealing plants just planted in a landscape has been a fairly common thievery for many, many years.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Something like this for extremely nice trees? Put it right inside the pot under a bit of moss they’d never know and then you can track it to where it is?

Pet microchips are a more viable option. They don't require power, but they're only traceable if the tree is scanned with a reader. They can prove ownership, but that may be beside the point if you can't find the tree. I was looking through news articles on stolen California trees. The clip below is interesting in that it says that police look primarily for stolen bonsai at swap meets and flea markets because the thieves are unfamiliar with bonsai.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Pet microchips are a more viable option. They don't require power, but they're only traceable if the tree is scanned with a reader.
Ones for pets aren't generally available to the general public and in fact are illegal for someone to have or use on a pet in some states.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ones for pets aren't generally available to the general public and in fact are illegal for someone to have or use on a pet in some states.
I don't think that is accurate. The chips are readily available from numerous suppliers. It is not illegal, from what I've read, to possess the chips, only to IMPLANT them in your pet because of potential health issues to the dog. And this varies tremendously state to state. Some vets say you can do it yourself, but recommend having a vet do it for safety reasons.

This means having the chips isn't illegal and putting them into trees is, well, not as life threatening as it is with an animal.

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
This has been posted here before (turn your sound down, auto playing news video at the top)...

I stand corrected!!!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not about bonsai, but stealing plants just planted in a landscape has been a fairly common thievery for many, many years.
Landscape plant theft happens quite a bit. Thieves are typically landscapers, construction people, etc. looking for a quick, free source of plants for their work. Older Japanese maples and dwarf conifers can be prime targets.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Apple Air Tags work great, although the notifications are a little oppressive.

*get in car to go to the grocery store*

"You left your bonsai tree behind!!"

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don't think that is accurate. The chips are readily available from numerous suppliers. It is not illegal, from what I've read, to possess the chips, only to IMPLANT them in your pet because of potential health issues to the dog. And this varies tremendously state to state. Some vets say you can do it yourself, but recommend having a vet do it for safety reasons.

This means having the chips isn't illegal and putting them into trees is, well, not as life threatening as it is with an animal.

My comment was based on a search to see if they were available but I didnt find any in a fairly quick search waiting for my crew to show up this morning to go sampling.
Then I remembered that micro tags are also used in fishery work so was going to see where those were available when I got the chance.
Need to also buy a reader for them, not sure what those cost.

I have dogs and honestly I wouldnt think of applying these myself to my dogs as I dont think I am qualified to do it.
Both are mine are microchipped from the shelters we adopted them from already though.

ibakey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have been wanting to get some property to grow tree’s in ground. But realize a fence is easy to get through. A thief would see a fence and know whatever is behind it must be valuable. All you need is bolt cutters or a battery powered saw.
I guess an upgrade to an electric fence would be in order. !

Sansokuu

Chumono
Reaction score
My dad had a papaya tree stolen out his front yard. 😒 It was young and they dug the whole thing out.

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Fine. I'll return it.

Didn't think people would be spazzing out about it.

Scorpius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This is exactly why I tell few people about my bonsai. My yard is fenced and heavily hidden from prying eyes. What they don't know about and can't see they can't steal.

Top Bottom