Maple. Syrup

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I
My ex wife's mom has family in Vermont, and they used to send us real maple syrup. It was amazing.

I read that the Wasatch (also called big tooth) maple, native to the northern Colorado/southern Wyoming/northern Utah mountain range it's named after, has been used in the past to produce maple syrup. Some people in the region still do it, but the yields aren't as high as sugar maple.
There's one growing at my ex's house. Hoping to finagle some cuttings and seeds this year. Should make decent bonsai, and they're s great landscape tree for the local climate.
I play around with some sugar grown from seed . Even have some rare Black maple . ( it’s basically a sugar cultivar darker bark prized for highest sugar yield sides of leaves droop and not as reliable deep red fall colour ) sugar is hard to bonsai long internode and slower growth than red maple . Still looking for the right Yamadori. The wood is very hard and rot resistant . So deadwood is possible . Climax forest tree here . The deep shade it slowly creates . With Hemlock . Reduce anything understory . But those 2 . But does not induce great bonsai . Finds

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That'd be great, but I'll have to see what space I have for new projects after the summer.
NP just let me know . Easy to grow . Not sure your zone . As long as you have cold enough for snow should be fine . I just sow when seeds fresh in fall in the ground or . Pots . Let nature stratify . Get consistent results in spring

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I no longer consume alcohol . But 2 parts whiskey 1 part maple syrup makes a pretty nice liqueur drink
I don’t consume alcohol at all and never have aside from “trying it”. Anything containing alcohol (even chocolate or cooking sauces) have this overwhelmingly strong sour burnt taste for me.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
The "maple syrup" we get over here is watery like water and there's fungus growing on it a couple days after opening.
I feel ripped off for 15 euros for a 200mL bottle.
But it does taste good on bacon and I love using it in dough.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The "maple syrup" we get over here is watery like water and there's fungus growing on it a couple days after opening.
I purchase mine direct from a local farmer 70 $ Canadian a gallon . As I said above there are several grades based on colour and maple flavour . Mine is the darkest strongest available. It is recommended that once opened it is kept in the fridge . I don’t bother . But mine is fresh . I feel for you as even here I see small bottles . At high prices . In tourist stores in the city . I can imagine the price in Europe . Also the lighter coloured weaker grades are the most common exported . The sugar content should be equal in all grades . I would try to get some in a original bottle from Canada . Specific Ontario or Quebec . The industry is goverment regulated . For purity . Not that other sources are not good just have no idea of regulations

Attachments

• D2106887-CAF7-43F3-8FE8-A5EAC094C3E7.jpeg
    D2106887-CAF7-43F3-8FE8-A5EAC094C3E7.jpeg
    207.1 KB · Views: 3

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A mainstay of a children trip to a maple sugar farm is . Toffee kids live it . It is made by pouring room temp syrup on fresh snow . It semi hardens

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ewww what nasty maple syrup do you buy? Can get many different grades here with reasonable pricing.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Syrup season is in full swing . Started early this year . Reason is mild temp Kate winter normal start time is 1st week of March . Started at least 2 weeks early . That is good for production quantities. Essentially best is warm days and cold nights . And a longer season . Short fast spring is poor . Been poor for last 2 years . My uncle who produces a small amount . Told me latest tech is not good . People are using suction to increase production effectively vacuum the sap out of the trees . Mist likely will harm the trees . 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ And new product will be on the market essentially non boiled or reduced sap . Sold as a energy drink .

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Who the hell comes up with this stuff?
Most of the energy drink crowd really can't tell, and mostly doesn't care about real maple flavor vs artificial especially after all the other nonsense that goes into the drink.
Why would anyone waist the good stuff on that?

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Who the hell comes up with this stuff?
Most of the energy drink crowd really can't tell, and mostly doesn't care about real maple flavor vs artificial especially after all the other nonsense that goes into the drink.
Why would anyone waist the good stuff on that?
I have been known to add Maple syrup to my coffee when making a latte.…. everything is better with Maple Syrup

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Maple syrup . Is heavily used in cooking . Here in Canada . The most common use . Is in baking. A simple substitute for sugar in a recipe . Adds it’s unique flavour . Maple flavoured cookies . Are in every grocery store in the country . I’m not a baker For recommendations . My only suggestion is the flavour is often best being the main flavour . Ie the maple flavoured cookies . But it does partner well with fruit . Also as a sugar substitute a little goes a long way . For myself it’s a ingredient for meat marinate . It partners very well as a sweet opposite for hot or strong spice . I very simple favourite take a Fillet of salmon ( or other fish ) skin side down brush the fish with 3 parts maple syrup . 1 part olive oil normally I give it one coat . Let it soak in then. A second 5 minutes later . Generously shake any dry rub spice on top . ( I use a Cajun spice ) then bake normally . It also works on the cedar plank bbq idea . The normal reaction to someone trying the salmon for the first time is wow 🤩

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Syrup season is in full swing . Started early this year . Reason is mild temp Kate winter normal start time is 1st week of March . Started at least 2 weeks early . That is good for production quantities. Essentially best is warm days and cold nights . And a longer season . Short fast spring is poor . Been poor for last 2 years . My uncle who produces a small amount . Told me latest tech is not good . People are using suction to increase production effectively vacuum the sap out of the trees . Mist likely will harm the trees . 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ And new product will be on the market essentially non boiled or reduced sap . Sold as a energy drink .

WHAAAAT!!!!!!?

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Maple syrup . Is heavily used in cooking . Here in Canada . The most common use . Is in baking. A simple substitute for sugar in a recipe . Adds it’s unique flavour . Maple flavoured cookies . Are in every grocery store in the country . I’m not a baker For recommendations . My only suggestion is the flavour is often best being the main flavour . Ie the maple flavoured cookies . But it does partner well with fruit . Also as a sugar substitute a little goes a long way . For myself it’s a ingredient for meat marinate . It partners very well as a sweet opposite for hot or strong spice . I very simple favourite take a Fillet of salmon ( or other fish ) skin side down brush the fish with 3 parts maple syrup . 1 part olive oil normally I give it one coat . Let it soak in then. A second 5 minutes later . Generously shake any dry rub spice on top . ( I use a Cajun spice ) then bake normally . It also works on the cedar plank bbq idea . The normal reaction to someone trying the salmon for the first time is wow 🤩

Before that government barrier was placed betwixt us.

The trade and migration routes ran HEAVY from Manitoba through "La Baye" (Green Bay) and the Winnebago/Fox valley Areas. (That's HOW my family ended up in Wisconsin)

Basically...

Maple Syrup is a pretty big deal here, too...

We bring our kids, every fall to the events.

I tasted sap from a Freemani last autumn that was GOOOOD!!!..

So I think I will experiment some more with that, this year.

Top Bottom