Maple. Syrup

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It’s only the end of winter here . Eastern Ontario Canada . But it’s syrup season . For those around the world that have never tried it . At the end of winter when the sap started to climb up the trees . Going back hundreds of years . Holes are drilled and spouts installed . In the Sugar Maple 🍁 tree . Acer Saccharun. . Native to north east North America . The sap is collected in buckets . Them boiled to remove the water . 40 gallons of sap boils down to 1 gallon of syrup . For those that think why bother . They have never tried it . What is left is a dark thick syrup that has a very high sugar content . It is used in baking . Or just used pure on pancakes or waffles . Ice cream . Substitute for sugar anywhere . Has a unique sweet taste . That anybody like me that was raised with it had no equal . When I travel I will go without as compared to something I’ll be disappointed with . You can taste the forest . I realize it’s very difficult to get it in other parts of the world . But do not turn down the chance if you have never tried it . You will not be disappointed 😎😎😎😎

Attachments

• CD3D2B58-08F1-4411-9464-416E03B6CA63.jpeg
    CD3D2B58-08F1-4411-9464-416E03B6CA63.jpeg
    205.9 KB · Views: 13

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
You can tap OTHER trees, too..

The YIELD isn't the same, though.

I talk with the Forestry guys that work around the Syrup places in middle wisconsin (Awesome Day Trip during this time of year) about tapping different trees.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
It’s only the end of winter here . Eastern Ontario Canada . But it’s syrup season . For those around the world that have never tried it . At the end of winter when the sap started to climb up the trees . Going back hundreds of years . Holes are drilled and spouts installed . In the Sugar Maple 🍁 tree . Acer Saccharun. . Native to north east North America . The sap is collected in buckets . Them boiled to remove the water . 40 gallons of sap boils down to 1 gallon of syrup . For those that think why bother . They have never tried it . What is left is a dark thick syrup that has a very high sugar content . It is used in baking . Or just used pure on pancakes or waffles . Ice cream . Substitute for sugar anywhere . Has a unique sweet taste . That anybody like me that was raised with it had no equal . When I travel I will go without as compared to something I’ll be disappointed with . You can taste the forest . I realize it’s very difficult to get it in other parts of the world . But do not turn down the chance if you have never tried it . You will not be disappointed 😎😎😎😎
This Syrup is in some stores UP here.

It's fantastic, you are NOT lying.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The higher valleys in the Blue Ridge/Appalachians in Va. are among the most southern sources for maple syrup. The Highland County Maple festival has been going on for 50-60 years now. It's high season, worth a visit if you're in the area. If you go, take a coat and ditch the cell phone--it won't work.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
The higher valleys in the Blue Ridge/Appalachians in Va. are among the most southern sources for maple syrup. The Highland County Maple festival has been going on for 50-60 years now. It's high season, worth a visit if you're in the area. If you go, take a coat and ditch the cell phone--it won't work.

How long has that MapleSyrup Festival been going on? EDIT: I see now! :)

I have faint memories of attending a "Syrup Fest" when I was quite young.. probably like 91/92...

I would've been living in Portsmouth at that time.

🤓

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How long has that MapleSyrup Festival been going on? EDIT: I see now! :)

I have faint memories of attending a "Syrup Fest" when I was quite young.. probably like 91/92...

I would've been living in Portsmouth at that time.

🤓
Might have been this one. It's a very long drive from Portsmouth. Highland County borders West Va. The drive there is over the winding Highland Turnpike secondary highway (Rt. 250-an old stagecoach route). You cross the Calf Pasture, Cow Pasture and Bull Pasture rivers to get there. It's remote now and back then, more so. Two roads in and out of Monterey, one traffic light. No cell service even now--pay phones for emergency services are available in town.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hmm possibly...

We were driving back and forth, apparently, between there and Battle Creek, MI fairly frequently. So I'd assume the "trek" would've been no problem for my folks.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There are 5 ratings for Maple Syrup the sugar content is about the same . But it goes from light to dark the dark being the strongest tasting most maple flavour . Getting hard to get . Lucky I have a local supply . The absolute best can’t get anymore . It’s about the boiling process years ago . It was boiled in a huge cast iron pot . Over a open wood fire . Basically a spring clean up of the maple bush . The wood fire added a smoke flavour and turned the syrup almost black . I have fond memories at my grandfathers farm . I often add a drop or 2 of liquid smoke to recreate. You can boil and tap other trees most have unique tastes and are not as sweet . One of the best is the northern yellow birch . A extract from the cambium was used at one time for the flavour . Wintergreen . So the syrup is wintergreen flavoured . Maple syrup was originally boiled by the First Nations people . They showed the French so no one knows how long it’s been made

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Always thought the process of sap flow may be of interest to bonsai people . Basically the best maple season . Has cold nights and bright sunny warm days . The cold prolongs . The season or you could say stretches the time it takes for the dap to flow up the tree . The sunny day makes the sap flow . Not sure if it’s the sun itself . After all the buds have not opened . Or if it’s just the warm temp . But there is almost no dap movement at night . Flows like crazy on a bright warm day . Always thought that was interesting . May be useful in bonsai .

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
From what I understand the flow of sap up and down the maple is propelled by temperatures--warm days pushes positive pressure into the tree forcing a downward flow of sap, cold nights contract and force sap up the trunk.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Makes sense . But the theory should hold true . For other maples and possible . Other trees . Therefore with temp manipulation. You could increase or decrease spring budding compared to time . 🤷‍♂️

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Y
I saw some Maple syrup on the shelf at a local shop (UK) last week and decided to try some, I had it on toasted bread that is full of seeds, Simply fabulous!! 😋😋

I normally have honey on the toast but this Maple syrup has swayed me!!

John 👍
You have never tried it before? Maple syrup is good on most things, pancakes, porridge, in a bowl with chopped bananas and fluffy cream, in cookie/cake frosting… I could go on. Maple syrup 🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Like I said above there is multiple grades . Lightest is light tan coloured like about a 1 to 1 mix if whiskey and water colour . Strongest is dark brown . In baking the light versions can add a extreme nice subtle flavour . The strong dark is decadent over ice cream . 50/ 50 whiskey and syrup is a great After dinner sipping drink . If you want to impress kids do what the do at the sugar bush where it’s made . Take warm syrup pour it on fresh clean snow . Instant soft taffy 👍👍

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I saw some Maple syrup on the shelf at a local shop (UK) last week and decided to try some, I had it on toasted bread that is full of seeds, Simply fabulous!! 😋😋

I normally have honey on the toast but this Maple syrup has swayed me!!

John 👍
A local 🐝 keeper . Introduced me to something most don’t think about . Honey is very dependant flavour wise . As to what kind of flowers. The bees collect from . One of the best he makes . Comes from bees in a apple 🍎 orchard told me most sweet fruit orchards are the best . But unique flavours can be found . Ornamental flower growing on a large scale is good also

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My ex wife's mom has family in Vermont, and they used to send us real maple syrup. It was amazing.

I read that the Wasatch (also called big tooth) maple, native to the northern Colorado/southern Wyoming/northern Utah mountain range it's named after, has been used in the past to produce maple syrup. Some people in the region still do it, but the yields aren't as high as sugar maple.
There's one growing at my ex's house. Hoping to finagle some cuttings and seeds this year. Should make decent bonsai, and they're s great landscape tree for the local climate.

Top Bottom