Maple yamadori buds gone

Matte91

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hello
I chopped down a field maple in winter and collected it this spring a couple of months ago.

It has not sprouted yet and it looks like the leaves that should sprout from the buds are gone leaving only a "empty bud". I know it sounds weird but that is what I see. It's still green under the bark.

What should I do? Cut the branches back and hope for new buds?

Attachments

• 20220320_155631.jpg
    20220320_155631.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 51

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just leave it alone until youre certain its dead
Im guessing few feeder roots?

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hello
I chopped down a field maple in winter and collected it this spring a couple of months ago.

It has not sprouted yet and it looks like the leaves that should sprout from the buds are gone leaving only a "empty bud". I know it sounds weird but that is what I see. It's still green under the bark.

What should I do? Cut the branches back and hope for new buds?
Just leave it alone. It can take months.

Matte91

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Even if it has few feeder roots, then it still has enough energy stored in the trunk for the buds to sprout.

I think the problem is that I forgot to water it for a couple of days, because it was in direct sun at that time and after those days the buds "died"

My idea is to cut all the long branches hard and hope for new buds.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
My idea is to cut all the long branches hard and hope for new buds.
In the last few months (if it's been that long), the tree has been reconfiguring itself to deal with a very severe disturbance.

Now you want to introduce another one? Sounds good if you want firewood. ;-)

Joe_B

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Just leave it be. Some of my weak trees are just now sprouting.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I agree with continue care and cross fingers.
Maples are generally very hardy to transplant and will survive with very few roots so I doubt that's the problem.
No water for a few days is also unlikely to be a problem for dormant trees.
Forget scraping the bark. That will never force a tree into growth and can allow entry for more problems so causes more problems than it solves.

Just out of interest, what sort of maple is it? Just asking because I can't see and opposite branching in the picture (could just be my eyes?)

Matte91

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I agree with continue care and cross fingers.
Maples are generally very hardy to transplant and will survive with very few roots so I doubt that's the problem.
No water for a few days is also unlikely to be a problem for dormant trees.
Forget scraping the bark. That will never force a tree into growth and can allow entry for more problems so causes more problems than it solves.

Just out of interest, what sort of maple is it? Just asking because I can't see and opposite branching in the picture (could just be my eyes?)
It's a acer platanoides

Top Bottom