AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Mediocre bonsai, but lovely colours.

Orange dream. Bad nebari, ugly scars from wires :

acerp_orangedream01_191030a.jpg

Acer palmatum, unknown cultivar, maybe just the plain species. Bad nebari. Can perhaps be improved with root grafts on the left.

acerp-x0313_191030a.jpg

Acer campestre, a strain with larger, less divided leaves. Big scars that don't heal at the back.

acerc01_191030a.jpg

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Another Orange Dream (all the usual bonsai-related caveats apply)

A little group of Norway maples (a. platanoides)

And just to dispel the notion that all maples are pretty in fall, here are some Ukigumo leaves in their ghostly pink + yellow-green fall coloration.

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wow that is quite the orange dream. Whats the story behind it? And where can I get one?

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Wow that is quite the orange dream. Whats the story behind it? And where can I get one?
This specific little tree is an air layer from the one I have in may home's landscape (it was purchased from an area garden/landscape center). I would think they should be available in your area next spring, but maybe not.. One can be had by 'mail order' from places like Mr. Maple, Conifer Kingdom, and Mendacino Maples, as examples. Acer palmatum 'Katusura' is similar and seems to have been more readily available in my area the last few years.

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This specific little tree is an air layer from the one I have in may home's landscape (it was purchased from an area garden/landscape center). I would think they should be available in your area next spring, but maybe not.. One can be had by 'mail order' from places like Mr. Maple, Conifer Kingdom, and Mendacino Maples, as examples. Acer palmatum 'Katusura' is similar and seems to have been more readily available in my area the last few years.
I have been hunting for one since I found out about them earlier this month in JD Vertrees book on maples, mr maple is about 35 mins away but is sold out of them, conifer has two one for 1k the other for 134 but they are in Oregon which is so far away, there is a 3 gallon one in Atlanta, but nothing up here in Asheville. I think I am gonna wait till after the Winter Silouette show, because I bought a mikawa before the North Carolina expo and Jim Doyle had 4 mikawas for sale.

Top Bottom