Maples stored away for winter

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Sharing a couple of pics of some of my Japanese maples stored away for winter. Temperatures are now dipping at night well into the teens. Some as you see here are brought inside my unheated garage while others will be kept outside under a heavy blanket of mulch in a protected area of the garden. I love to see maples without their leaves!

dkraft81

Shohin
Reaction score
Awesome trees. I love the winter silhouettes.

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is that what Heaven looks like?... ;) With the evergreens outside too of course. :)

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is that what Heaven looks like?... ;) With the evergreens outside too of course. :)

Hell no, heaven would look like me owning those trees and being able to keep them alive...

ed

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
lol!!!... I don't care who owns them, as long as I get to enjoy them. :) It's cheaper that way too... :p -- Hmmm... Do you need an apprentice M5? ;)

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score

LOL Dan I will tell you that Mr. Urushibata's nursery is what heaven actually looks like! :D

Yes all RMJs and other conifers sit outside below my benches. Don't do much with them.

lol!!!... I don't care who owns them, as long as I get to enjoy them. :) It's cheaper that way too... :p -- Hmmm... Do you need an apprentice M5? ;)

Haha! Well unfortunately apprentices are only reserved for much wiser and far better bonsaists than I :rolleyes: But I do thank you for the offer!

Last edited:

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wow, awesome storage area, beautiful maples as always Mach5

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
Those are some nice looking maples. Do you have any pics of the individual trees by chance?

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Jquast, he does have threads for quite a few of them. Just go to his profile and look through his posts. :)

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Oh man what a great collection. Nice to have them so easily accessible in the winter. I need more maples!

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I'll have to check this post out from home. The US Cyber Command has prevented photobucket from loading on my work computer. Damn Uncle Sam....

It sounds like they are lovely though!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Oh man what a great collection. Nice to have them so easily accessible in the winter. I need more maples!

Thanks Tom. Yes winter is a nice, quiet time to study your trees and gather your thoughts and ideas for when spring arrives. Maples have taught me that winter is beautiful although I have had a tough time convincing others of the same! :D

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Wonderful! Thanks for this thread M5, looks like you have the space to really have nice winter appreciation of your maples. It's such a joy to see a well developed d tree naked.

Does your car have to live outside in the winter mulched under a bench?;)

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Haha! Well Judy if it was up to me... yes! :D BUT, my dear wife would have none of that! So I usually take out the cars so that I have space to work when I need to. I only work standing up so I need lots of room since I like to step back quite a bit and see what I'm doing.

The trees pictured are in various stages of development with some needing another 5-10 years of development. It's only time right? :rolleyes:

Top Bottom