Maples that had to be dug up.

shanequin83

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
These are 4 of what I believe to be sugar maples that seeded between my house and drive way.
I had to dig them up due to the land lords orders. Most of them are far to small for me to even think about anything yet. But i had to dig them up and put them in the only available pots i had at the time. I intend on letting them grow for a few years and my questions are.... Whats the earliest I could repot them ? How big should the pots be that i put them in ? (mind you they will be in these pots for a few years) And what mix of soil should i use so i dont run in to any root issues (root rot) ?? Any advise would be fantastic. Thank you

Attachments

• 2012-01-13_12-48-41_542.jpg
    2012-01-13_12-48-41_542.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 83
  • 2012-01-13_12-49-14_735.jpg
    2012-01-13_12-49-14_735.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 95
  • 2012-01-13_12-49-48_792.jpg
    2012-01-13_12-49-48_792.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 103
  • 2012-01-13_12-50-05_189.jpg
    2012-01-13_12-50-05_189.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 115
  • 2012-01-13_12-50-16_681.jpg
    2012-01-13_12-50-16_681.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 101

shanequin83

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The 2nd and 3rd pictures are of the same tree. the land lord chopped it one day as u can tell by the wound. the soil is what was surrounding it. and i watered them shortly after taking these pics. in case any one points out the soil. lol

Gene Deci

Shohin
Reaction score
The techniques of bonsai will work on virtually any species but some make better subjects than others. It is hard to ever get small leaves and short internodes on sugar maple so they are not often used. But you have these trees so I say why not learn with them. The soil in a pot needs to be free draining - really - and what they are in now is not. Look up "Turface" on this site or elsewhere and read about it. That should get you started on what soil mix you might want to use. I expect most folks who respond will suggest putting these trees in the ground if you intend to work with them at all but from your post I guess that your landlord won't allow that. No matter what soil mix you use, progress will be slower growing in a pot but don't put them in small pots since that will just slow the progress more. I can't really tell from the pictures but these trees need to be outside (or in a non heated but protected place) for the winter. The time to repot is in the spring before the buds break. They look very dry also. You could, in fact, cover them with snow until spring. That will give you time to get questions answered before you neeed to do anything. How long ago did you dig them up?

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
If you want these trees to do well you will have to get them into a soil that is a lot more free draining that what you currently have them in. I'd bet that the soil that these are currently in will harden up like concrete with summer heat.

shanequin83

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I knew that the leaf size was going to be an issue when i dug them up. the one in the 2nd and 3rd pics i will see what i can do as for getting it to grow taller with some good taper. but i do want to make all of them a larger scale bonsai. i have also talked to my mom and she will let me replant them on her property. she has plenty of space and good southern michigan soil. i can throw a few bails of straw around them come next winter. since I'm not in any hurry im not pressing the issue on good bonsai soil yet. and i would still go out there a couple times a month to check them out and to feed them. can anyone recommend type? strength? and how often? i would just assume just feeding it as often as if it were in a bonsai pot. thank you and looking forward to more advice.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If you are planting in the ground, I would recommend using a granular in the soil at planting time, like osmocote, and also plant on a tile to get the roots started in the right direction. Might as well start them early, rather than late...

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I know you aren't gunna want to hear this.... but I'm going to tell you anyways....

these have little to no future as bonsai.... the species doesn't make good bonsai... these trees are too small and leggy... plant them in your backyard or something and forget about them.... you'll thank me in 3years (about how long it might take you to realize these were a waste of time)

take it or leave it... I have done my part

Mystogan

Banned
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
listen to this man he has studied bonsai under dan robinson for 5 hardcore years. he has worked on many world class bonsai. o and did i mention he will also be exhibiting at the us bonsai exhibition?

I know you aren't gunna want to hear this.... but I'm going to tell you anyways....

these have little to no future as bonsai.... the species doesn't make good bonsai... these trees are too small and leggy... plant them in your backyard or something and forget about them.... you'll thank me in 3years (about how long it might take you to realize these were a waste of time)

take it or leave it... I have done my part

Randy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Who forgot to feed the troll today?

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
listen to this man he has studied bonsai under dan robinson for 5 hardcore years. he has worked on many world class bonsai. o and did i mention he will also be exhibiting at the us bonsai exhibition?
thank you for your support .....

I'm guessing you live in Freemont?

Mystogan

Banned
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
no problemo amigo. i didnt want you to have to pull out your own credentials it might look like tooting your own horn. :) fremont? close eastward

thank you for your support .....

I'm guessing you live in Freemont?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If my husband wouldn't quote the troll I could just amuse myself with hearing.... "wah wah waaah, wah wah wah wah.".... Kinda like the sound on Peanuts. lol As it stands, I saw some of his comment and still laughed as I heard that sound bite playing in my head when I read it.

V

shanequin83

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
i listen to everyones advice. they"ll go in the ground and in a few years if they don't interest me then my mom can use them as yard trees. I live just outside of Toledo, Ohio. The Toledo Bonsai Club meet at a local greenhouse. Which just happens to be only about 10 minutes away. so i do intend on checking that out. i need to get out and find suitable bonsai material.

Top Bottom