Marc Torppa / Marc Torpa / Mark Torppa / Mark Torpa @ the Growing Grounds - AVOID

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'll throw my hat into the ring of folks who've had a positive experience dealing with the Growing Grounds. Pictures are already on FB. I'll probably post a thread @ BSG regarding the individual tree(s).

Marc was very attentive and responsive via email. I don't think during our exchange that I ever waited more than a day for a response. Once at the nursery, I found him to be extremely welcoming, helpful, knowledgeable, and friendly. I soon found that he has a few opinions too.

His squat-pot stumps are truly impressive, for both their individual quality and the amazing quantity of them on his benches.I also saw the nicest chuhin JBP I've ever physically stood in front of. There may be nicer, but I've not seen them in person.

The trees I'd seen via pictures I didn't end up getting (not because the material was lesser in person than the pictures showed), but I was MORE than pleased with the two trees I ended up taking home.

He was sensitive in the language he used around my children, for which I was very appreciative. He spoke to them individually and made a point to thank me and my wife for coming out. Overall, I'd have no problems doing business with him again. In fact, I plan to.

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm glad to see that some people have had some positive experiences in the last couple of years. After seeing some of the trees that people have bought I have to say I am tempted to buy some from him. I don't have any serious bonsai nurseries nearby so online purchasing is my most available option. The website still seems to be quite out of date. I would feel a lot more confident purchasing if it were maintained.

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you ask him, he will email tons of pictures of different trees. All current.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The issues with him have never been about the quality of the trees (or the prices, even), but rather about his shipping procedures. If I lived close enough to drive, I'd definitely visit and perhaps purchase. Won't do it by mail, though, not unless I see a bunch more recent, positive reports about that.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don't understand sellers that don't have a properly updated website and solid ability to package/ship a tree. and even without a site, packaging and shipping trees is the utmost priority.

The issue that this particular nursery has some negative packaging reviews and does not have an up to date website is so disappointing.

If the pictures on the website are an accurate depiction of some of the stock it would make me believe there is quite a great deal of quality trees there, trees that I would buy. Trees that I'm sure people all over the country who have a tough time finding trees would buy. I mean damn, get it together and take my money!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You know how many times I've seen problems occur because people have their security set to high and response emails go to spam?

Many !

Did anyone ever look in that folder?

It's not free to accept CC either.

Just putting that out there.

Sorce

Jester217300

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
It may not be free to accept a credit card but it is the primary source of payment for internet transactions. Any forward looking internet seller has already built the cost of accepting credit cards into sale prices.

I will never mail a check to a person who is not family or a long time personal friend. I tried it once, got robbed, and will never do it again.

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You know how many times I've seen problems occur because people have their security set to high and response emails go to spam?

Many !

Did anyone ever look in that folder?

It's not free to accept CC either.

Just putting that out there.

Sorce

I have a Square card reader for my phone. The card reader was free. There wasn't even shipping cost. The fee for using it is 2.5% if I recall correctly. No month to month fee. I haven't used it in a while but I think you can also just type in the card information. If you don't have smartphone it also works with a tablet.

mickey12

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Avoid ***************** at all cost they misrepresent their trees and customer service is knows nothing.👎👎👎😡

Last edited by a moderator:

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Avoid *************************** at all cost they misrepresent their trees and customer service is knows nothing.👎👎👎😡

I edited your post for a number of reasons:
(1) The vendor you are referring to is not the subject of this thread
(2) This forum was not created to allow empty criticism or praise of bonsai vendors. Rather it is to share your EXPERIENCES with vendors. If you have had a bad experience with a bonsai vendor, start a new thread and share your experience. Please be truthful and fact-based when talking about what happened.

Top Bottom