Marc Torppa / Marc Torpa / Mark Torppa / Mark Torpa @ the Growing Grounds - AVOID

Q-Bonsai

Mame
Reaction score
Yes, that's right. I can not speak to Marc's shipping or packaging.

I try to be nice and polite. :]

Q and I belonged to the same bonsai club and I had to move quite suddenly for personal reasons. He really helped me out, as I only have a small sedan and had to transport my bonsai in two batches.

I do not know Marc personally, but I do not believe that he gave me these trees because of internet comments. I doubt my word carries enough weight to justify the expense of growing those trees. It certainly doesn't seem to have convinced anyone here!

I think he gave me the trees because he thought I was keen and wanted me to grow in bonsai, but maybe I'm naive. To be honest, I posted on another forum about how great he is after he trusted me to take the japanese maple back to Texas and send him the check later.

I'm having trouble remembering how the topic of the forum came up for the first time. Suffice it to say that both times I visited him, we spent a few hours chatting and shooting the breeze.

I understand that you may have had negative experiences with Marc, and, perhaps I'm misreading this, but there seems to be some hostility towards me and some doubts about my honesty. Again, I am being completely transparent and offering a review of his business based on my experience alone. A chap might take some of these remarks personally though!

Edit: Dorothy those bricks are my house not Marc's! Also, I asked about his father and Marc said he was still alive and fussing at him?

Yes, Bubba had a last minute move and the two trees I held from him a pretty big. The two trees took up the whole back seat area when he came to pick them up. I've been in difficult situations before where people were unwilling/unable to help and I know that feeling. There was no way I would want anybody to go through that if there is anything I can do to help (assuming I find the person to be someone I can trust). As for the "for free" part, it's not helping if you ask for something in return.... just sayin'....

As for the tree I purchased from Marc, its a tree that I had to use this:http://www.homedepot.com/p/Plasgad-Large-Mixing-Tub-887102A/202086174?keyword=cement+mixing+tray#.UpZgTtJDtIE as a container because the Mica pot I previously purchased for it wouldn't come close to fitting.... It IS a rough trunk chop but it has the lower primary branches already thickened. After looking at it some more, it will be a 15+ year project due to the size. I'd have to develop the taper and hopefully get some primary branching developed concurrently. It's not a finished tree by any means but I didn't pay for a finished tree.

His prices aren't so low where you'd HAVE to buy but not too expensive that it makes no sense to purchase. I'd say you get what you pay for, no more, no less. Which is fair.

Last edited:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yes, Bubba had a last minute move and the two trees I held from him a pretty big. The two trees took up the whole back seat area when he came to pick them up. I've been in difficult situations before where people were unwilling/unable to help and I know that feeling. There was no way I would want anybody to go through that if there is anything I can do to help (assuming I find the person to be someone I can trust). As for the "for free" part, it's not helping if you ask for something in return.... just sayin'....

As for the tree I purchased from Marc, its a tree that I had to use this:http://www.homedepot.com/p/Plasgad-Large-Mixing-Tub-887102A/202086174?keyword=cement+mixing+tray#.UpZgTtJDtIE as a container because the Mica pot I previously purchased for it wouldn't come close to fitting.... It IS a rough trunk chop but it has the lower primary branches already thickened. After looking at it some more, it will be a 15+ year project due to the size. I'd have to develop the taper and hopefully get some primary branching developed concurrently. It's not a finished tree by any means but I didn't pay for a finished tree.

His prices aren't so low where you'd HAVE to buy but not too expensive that it makes no sense to purchase. I'd say you get what you pay for, no more, no less. Which is fair.

:confused: My head is spinning..."Q" is a member here too I had no idea...and also did business with Mark. I am out of the loop for sure. Walking away still baffled...you all joined over a post found here...on one heck of a nice guy...is what I am gathering. Who has negative feedback...:confused: Yep...I am totally confused. I feel like I walked in on a soap opera now...

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6

That's nice you feel that way but you will at some point have to make a decision as to what is good bonsai and what is not.

Q-Bonsai

Mame
Reaction score
That's nice you feel that way but you will at some point have to make a decision as to what is good bonsai and what is not.

I agree. I have many good bonsai, none that are show winners but a few that are not too far off. I also paid a lot more for them than what I did for the trident I got from Mark. To be honest, I was expecting a more developed tree, and thought I got a great deal. But upon receiving it I was disappointed. But, I still didn't over pay. I wasn't saying what I bought is a good bonsai, I just said that it was fair. I've had better deals before. But what I paid was market price.

Bonsai_Bubba

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I agree. I have many good bonsai, none that are show winners but a few that are not too far off. I also paid a lot more for them than what I did for the trident I got from Mark. To be honest, I was expecting a more developed tree, and thought I got a great deal. But upon receiving it I was disappointed. But, I still didn't over pay. I wasn't saying what I bought is a good bonsai, I just said that it was fair. I've had better deals before. But what I paid was market price.

I respectfully disagree. You've won at least one show!

Reaction score
bout time to turn that thumb right side up?? Or are the haters still holding on

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
5th,

in the spirit of Thanksgiving and Hanukkah please stop. There is history that you do not know and will not be re-hashed here by me.

Please be happy and thankful that you had a good experience. Please be happy and thankful that others have too.

Please trust that others have had different experiences that are just as valid as yours. Please
understand that to them, their experiences are more meaningful than yours.

Please trust that Marc appears to have grown as a person. Please trust that this is good to hear.

Regards,
Martin

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just checked out the Growing Ground site. There are a lot of trees listed but probably only a few are for sale. The rest say that they are sold. Lot of weeding through everything to see what is for sale. Also seems a little expensive for what's left. $400.00 for a trident with what looks like reverse taper. Could be the picture or maybe I don't see as well as I used to.
Anyway when it comes time to order something I will be a little Leary because of the shipping issues I read about the place. Probably going to give Kimura Bonsai a try. His prices are better and shipping is free. Also he probably needs the business because all of his trees aren't all sold.

cascade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I need to correct my last post. I said Marc's father had passed away. This seems to be incorrect. I apologize for the misunderstanding on my part. No identity theft either..ha!

Best,
Dorothy

Reaction score
Don't worry, lots of things are wrong on this board. Specially things bout GG

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Don't worry, lots of things are wrong on this board. Specially things bout GG

And yet, you continually come back begging for answers. It's a vicious cycle with you; you bash everyone and then come crawling back pleading for people to spoon feed you.

aphid

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi all,

I also have bought trees from Marc.

I got this Amur maple back in 2008 for $838 with shipping. I lost it a few years ago due to my own stupidity. :-( I miss it very much. Been impossible to find another Amur maple this big. The base was like 9" wide! It's still listed on Marc's site as sold. It hurts inside every time I see it... When I bought this tree, I sent Marc a check. It took about a month from the time I mailed the check and the time I received the tree. I admit I freaked out, too; but all that stress went away the moment I got the tree. It was well packed with no damage. I miss this tree... Below is the picture Marc sent to me.

I got this Arakawa Japanese maple from Marc in 2012 for $835 with shipping. Here's the picture Marc sent to me. I picked it this one from the several pictures he sent to me. It took about 2 weeks from the time I mailed the check and the time I got the tree. I still remember that the box was HUGE!! The tree was like 3 feet tall? I was blown away at how amazing the tree looked in person.

Here's what it looks like now. I actually have a thread about it in the maple section if you are interested in letting me know what I should do with the tree. The trunk is about 2 feet tall and 4" thick?

This past week I just bought this one for $620 with shipping. It's a green Japanese maple which I picked out from the 23 pictures of over 50 trees he sent to me after I told him what I wanted. I sent him a Post Office money order on Tuesday. He told me that he'll let me know when he receives it and since there's no need to wait for it to clear, he'll ship the tree on the following Monday. Even if he doesn't ship right away, there's plenty of time till spring so I'm not worried anyway.

A few people have mentioned that Marc is a bit eccentric. He can even be rude sometimes. So if you want to be pampered, this isn't your seller. However, if you want a nice tree for a reasonable price and don't mind waiting a few days for an email response or a few weeks for your tree to arrive, then you won't be disappointed by Marc. I did think to myself that maybe I shouldn't write this post because it could mean more people will buy from him and there would be no nice tree left for me.. LOL Please note that his website is VERY out of date. If you have something you want in mind, just let him know and he'll send a bunch of pictures. Marc just told me he hired 2 guys to fix his site and his trees will be in PDF when it's done. He is also planning to accept credit cards soon.

Last edited:

CHUCHIN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi all,

I also have bought trees from Marc.

I got this Amur maple back in 2008 for $838 with shipping. I lost it a few years ago due to my own stupidity. :-( I miss it very much. Been impossible to find another Amur maple this big. The base was like 9" wide! It's still listed on Marc's site as sold. It hurts inside every time I see it... When I bought this tree, I sent Marc a check. It took about a month from the time I mailed the check and the time I received the tree. I admit I freaked out, too; but all that stress went away the moment I got the tree. It was well packed with no damage. I miss this tree... Below is the picture Marc sent to me.

I got this Arakawa Japanese maple from Marc in 2012 for $835 with shipping. Here's the picture Marc sent to me. I picked it this one from the several pictures he sent to me. It took about 2 weeks from the time I mailed the check and the time I got the tree. I still remember that the box was HUGE!! The tree was like 3 feet tall? I was blown away at how amazing the tree looked in person.

Here's what it looks like now. I actually have a thread about it in the maple section if you are interested in letting me know what I should do with the tree. The trunk is about 2 feet tall and 4" thick?

This past week I just bought this one for $620 with shipping. It's a green Japanese maple which I picked out from the 23 pictures of over 50 trees he sent to me after I told him what I wanted. I sent him a Post Office money order on Tuesday. He told me that he'll let me know when he receives it and since there's no need to wait for it to clear, he'll ship the tree on the following Monday. Even if he doesn't ship right away, there's plenty of time till spring so I'm not worried anyway.

A few people have mentioned that Marc is a bit eccentric. He can even be rude sometimes. So if you want to be pampered, this isn't your seller. However, if you want a nice tree for a reasonable price and don't mind waiting a few days for an email response or a few weeks for your tree to arrive, then you won't be disappointed by Marc. I did think to myself that maybe I shouldn't write this post because it could mean more people will buy from him and there would be no nice tree left for me.. LOL Please note that his website is VERY out of date. If you have something you want in mind, just let him know and he'll send a bunch of pictures. Marc just told me he hired 2 guys to fix his site and his trees will be in PDF when it's done. He is also planning to accept credit cards soon.

It takes time to establish trust. It takes even more time to rebuild trust once its gone. I am not looking for baby bottles and sweet talk. When you pay your money you should get the service you deserve. You shouldn't have to hope you get it. You shouldn't have to accept someone talking rudely to you , timeline should be clear, your offerings should truly be available. Paying customers shouldn't have to negotiate service. I have no personal quarrels with Torpa and I think he was and can be an asset to our world however people have been done really wrong by him. It is refreshing to hear of his desires to improve. You can't knock that.

Btw great arakawa and I do remember that Ginalla from his site. It may still be listed lol.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm sure its still listed, his site really blows, I don't care what other people purchased, I want to see exactly what I can buy, maybe if he had a thread for purchased trees seperated from trees for sale, and I'm not sending a check in the mail period, that's just to shady not accepting credit cards, its 2014, not the 1970's,there are many other nurseries.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
A few people have mentioned that Marc is a bit eccentric. He can even be rude sometimes. So if you want to be pampered, this isn't your seller... ...Marc just told me he hired 2 guys to fix his site and his trees will be in PDF when it's done. He is also planning to accept credit cards soon.

My two cents...

I have never bought anything from Marc. To be honest, this feedback (and feedback I have read on other sites) has kept me from doing so. It's not that I haven't seen some decent trees, but his trees are on the high end of the range (at least for what we can get on the West Coast), and I'm simply not willing to subject myself to the risk, because trust me - I pay $1000 for something, I expect service. This includes basic things like timeliness, communication, financial security, and decent shipping.

So rather than knock the guy, I will simply say that reports of poor service are keeping me from doing business with him. He wants more business, I would recommend improving his feedback. We're not talking Lexus Diamond Service here - we're talking about updating his site more frequently than once per year, accepting electronic payments, sending out emails, etc. I'm sure he can manage if he makes it a priority.

I work with many other vendors who sell and ship unique, perishable items. I purchase live koi from Hawaii where dozens of fish are photographed, listed, and then delisted each week. They have very specific guidelines that if you buy on "x" day, they will ship on "y" day. Communication is excellent. Follow-up is excellent. I reward excellence with a lot of follow-up business.

So I wish Marc the best. I am glad that he is working on improving his site, and I hope that this feedback reaches him in the spirit it is intended - as constructive criticism. Good bonsai vendors are good for the hobby.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My thought is great trees are not infinite and easily found. Marc has some great material. I don't care if it takes time to get it. He has sent me tons of pics in the past upon request. Why be in such a hurry? It's not like we are waiting on life saving medication or something. I thought bonsai was all about patience.... I think some people must stare at their trees until a leaf completely grows.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Why be in such a hurry? It's not like we are waiting on life saving medication or something. I thought bonsai was all about patience.... I think some people must stare at their trees until a leaf completely grows.

It isn't about patience. It's about basic customer service.

To me if you have a commercial site and list something to sell, it needs to be available for sale - not sold 6 months prior. If it takes you four weeks to ship something - put that information on your site. If you require someone to send you a check, don't deposit the check until you ship the product.

This isn't brain surgery. We aren't talking about a high turnover business. We're talking about one or two trees PER WEEK. If you are busy, or can't ship, or are leaving on vacation, take your site down with a simple "we'll be back on X date". Don't leave people hanging, trying to order, or sending emails, even though you won't be around for a month because you're in Florida for the holidays.

I order crickets for my daughter's gecko. The site very clearly states that they won't ship if the weather gets below a certain level - and what they will do about it. FOR CRICKETS - not for $1000 trees. This guy needs to up his game. Cricket vendors are out-performing him. Or not - it's a free country. But he isn't the only pre-bonsai vendor out there, and right now my money is going elsewhere - and it ISN'T because I'm impatient.

Top Bottom