Marco Invernizzi's new tool - "Ichiban"

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wasn't thinking about how it would fit in my hands.
I was thinking about making a tool purchase this year so I went through all the tool threads again to see.
Looks like all I'm going to really need is a pair of knob cutters.
Thanks everyone.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Amen.

Knob cutters next on my list.

Kaneshin.
Did you notice that box was from there
?

Makes it official! Imported!

I might get a designated root one too.

Sorce

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wasn't thinking about how it would fit in my hands.
I was thinking about making a tool purchase this year so I went through all the tool threads again to see.
Looks like all I'm going to really need is a pair of knob cutters.
Thanks everyone.

It will be a trunk splitter for me if I get around to buying a tool. I could cut a knob with tools I already have. I have little fiskar scissor things for small snips. Carpentry, hardware and garden tools can play a lot of the same roles as bonsai tools. You know, if you're a dirtbag and don't care if you have the best even if it does make things a bit more difficult.
Hard to copy the effect of splitters though, I've got nothing and I will need to be doing some splitting and bending soon.

Last edited:

Ironbeaver

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What about this? It may work really well, but it seems like a bit of a gimmick tool:
http://www.stonelantern.com/Bonsai_Airlayering_Tool_Bark_Stripping_Jin_Tool_p/tbkjin.htm
TBKJIN-2.jpg

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It will be a trunk splitter for me if I get around to buying a tool. I could cut a knob with tools I already have. I have little fiskar scissor things for small snips. Carpentry, hardware and garden tools can play a lot of the same roles as bonsai tools. You know, if you're a dirtbag and don't care if you have the best even if it does make things a bit more difficult.
Hard to copy the effect of splitters though, I've got nothing and I will need to be doing some splitting and bending soon.
The father in law is a farrier. The tool he uses for trimming hooves looks just like a trunk splitter. Almost as expensive new but he has one he will give me.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I actually have a full set of farrier tools. Just in case of emergency and I can't get a farrier quickly. Don't have the apron, though. Or a forge.

jomawa

Shohin
Reaction score
Wasn't thinking about how it would fit in my hands. Looks like all I'm going to really need is a pair of knob cutters.
Yeah, that's it, my hands are just too big for that tool, (able to palm a basketball - can't shoot for s##t though), the exorbitant price has, uhhh, nothing whatsoever to do with not buying it. I'm always amazed and fascinated at the true art of metalurgy and for that matter am impressed with tools that good research and development was completed prior to selling to the customer. That seems to be rare these days, and maybe that's why Japanese were used for Ichiban, hmmm. But, have my recently purchased spherical concave branch cutters, a couple pair of chopsticks (free form oriental restaurant) and a couple 1/4 inch dowels (mainly used stiring fert and soil blend), pair of decades old, quality scientific tweezers, (scrounged back out of one of my toolboxes). Can hardly wait for bud break to be able to test their mini rip and tear capabilty. And as for larger rip and tear tools like knob cutters, I've got a few alternates, including power ones, but the real knob cutters, yep that's still next on the list, (haven't lost my sphericals yet). Lets see, is this bonsai tool box gonna be eight or nine? Dang, am I really hedging into that golden mean of too many tool boxes/kits?

Top Bottom