Marco Invernizzi's new tool - "Ichiban"

flor1

Shohin
Reaction score
If I believed everything that a paid endorcer said about about something I would have to build a bigger garage. Until I actually hear someone here say they spent $300.00 on a pair and were satisfied with them I'll hold judgement.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
If I believed everything that a paid endorcer said about about something I would have to build a bigger garage. Until I actually hear someone here say they spent $300.00 on a pair and were satisfied with them I'll hold judgement.

Excuse me, are you calling me a paid endorcer ?

Harry

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
High quality tools make the users job much easier. High quality tools do not make high quality trees.

If you can't make a decent tree before a high quality tool, you won't make a decent tree after purchasing a high quality tool.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
High quality tools make the users job much easier. High quality tools do not make high quality trees.

If you can't make a decent tree before a high quality tool, you won't make a decent tree after purchasing a high quality tool.

Well spoken oh wise one.......

keep it green,
Harry

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
As a side note, ALL the professional lawn mowers here use Honda equipment,why, because it's one of the best brands built. They cost more than a Walmart special, but they perform well and last for a very long time. My neighbor has one that is 20 years old and all he's done is change the oil, spark plug and air filter, mine is 6 years old and I've never had any problems with it and it still starts on the first pull. You get what you pay for if you shop around.

keep it green,
Harry

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
There is no 300 buck markup on Masakuni tools. What are some people willing to pay the #1 issue of Bonsai Today or John Naka's books and you can't use those.

Keep it green,
Harry

I was willing to pay much less for my signed copy of Bonsai Techniques #1 MUCH less than $350.

In my experience I have found that I can do almost everything with just a pair of $19.95 pruning shears (technically not even bonsai shears... but made in japan so that MUST count for something).

BTW I happen to be able to cut my wire with pruning shears, I know crazy. Speaking of which I remember on Monday when 3 Penjing masters from China visited us here at the Pacific Rim Collection (and later at Elandan Gardens) that there was some excitment by some of the on lookers that the masters were cutting wire with their pruners. Apperantly the onlookers (perpetual novices) were flabergasted at the use of pruning shears to cut wire, the result of too much time spent worrying about the tools and not enough time spent worrying about the trees.

So besides being able to cut wire (which i can already do with my pruners), why should I want one of these again... cutting wire seems to be the only selling point most ppl can come up with.

Also... My teacher Dan Robinson (god ppl you should know this by now) has also mananged to design a custom tool. Anyone who has seen/used one knows the benefits of usinng the jinning knife Dan designed. Amazingly this custom made tool sells for a whopping $40 ,completely accessable to anyone. Strange , I know. What a crazy crazy world. Granted tho Dan is not Italian or Japanese... so the design MUST suck....

oh and Harry, I appreciate your enthusiasm , but I could never take your word on this as you are the #1 Marco fanboi. Please understand that just means to me that the potential for bias to sway you is too high. If however you wanted to send me a pair of these tools... and manage to impress a hardass like myself... that might truly say something about them. I'm willing to be open minded but I think an uninfluenced opinion is whats needed.

Have fun!

Treebeard

Seedling
Reaction score
I have always used my twig shears to cut wire, with no detriment. Not because I'm a cheapskate, but because they easily cope.

I'd like to see a video or at the very least some stills of how to use the new tool as a chisel without the obvious risk of the other blade getting in the way. Or it it used with the blades closed? Can't figure it out.

Chris.

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Both.

(if you were asking me)

Chris.

Chris, since the wire cutter is at the base of the shears, I think it is limited to cutting wire to length.

It would be tricky to remove wire from a tree with these, unless you want to take the branch off as well :)

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Homing in on the end user,what about concave cuts?

Are they a tool specifically for those who subscribe to the compartmentalist view?

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Moot in this instance.

Does the beak like blade angle fulfill more than an aesthetic role?

Yes. The rationale of the design was described in Rob's article, and in the tool's specs which Harry posted on the first page of this topic.

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Designed for golfers,i can see it clearly now.

Carbon steel is an unusual choice as the blade trade reckon collectors do not want to open their boxes to find brown.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
I was willing to pay much less for my signed copy of Bonsai Techniques #1 MUCH less than $350.

In my experience I have found that I can do almost everything with just a pair of $19.95 pruning shears (technically not even bonsai shears... but made in japan so that MUST count for something).

BTW I happen to be able to cut my wire with pruning shears, I know crazy. Speaking of which I remember on Monday when 3 Penjing masters from China visited us here at the Pacific Rim Collection (and later at Elandan Gardens) that there was some excitment by some of the on lookers that the masters were cutting wire with their pruners. Apperantly the onlookers (perpetual novices) were flabergasted at the use of pruning shears to cut wire, the result of too much time spent worrying about the tools and not enough time spent worrying about the trees.

So besides being able to cut wire (which i can already do with my pruners), why should I want one of these again... cutting wire seems to be the only selling point most ppl can come up with.

Also... My teacher Dan Robinson (god ppl you should know this by now) has also mananged to design a custom tool. Anyone who has seen/used one knows the benefits of usinng the jinning knife Dan designed. Amazingly this custom made tool sells for a whopping $40 ,completely accessable to anyone. Strange , I know. What a crazy crazy world. Granted tho Dan is not Italian or Japanese... so the design MUST suck....

oh and Harry, I appreciate your enthusiasm , but I could never take your word on this as you are the #1 Marco fanboi. Please understand that just means to me that the potential for bias to sway you is too high. If however you wanted to send me a pair of these tools... and manage to impress a hardass like myself... that might truly say something about them. I'm willing to be open minded but I think an uninfluenced opinion is whats needed.

Have fun!

Sorry I don't know who Dan Robinson is, buy the tool or not, it makes me no difference.

keep it green,
Harry

Top Bottom