Masakuni 5 set tool set

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Masakuni…..Seems a good price…..I definately needed a small set of tools………$414 free ship from japan?
What you think?D492FC5D-3DFB-4F8A-976C-C7D768988C9D.jpeg

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Those will last you for your lifetime!

Those are all good (superior) tools with the exception of the tweezers. You need a heftier pair than what Masakuni makes.

But, yes, if you don’t already have a nice set of tools, then get these.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Those will last you for your lifetime!

Those are all good (superior) tools with the exception of the tweezers. You need a heftier pair than what Masakuni makes.

But, yes, if you don’t already have a nice set of tools, then get these.
Oh cool,thanks.
Yea I figured pliers can go for now……just need the basics.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Masakuni…..Seems a good price…..I definately needed a small set of tools………$414 free ship from japan?
What you think?View attachment 406892
The wire cutters and the tweezers are not the best choices, the other three will be good choices. Wire cutters because they are small size and limited in the gauge of wire the handle and the tweezers as Adair mentioned not the best form.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The wire cutters and the tweezers are not the best choices, the other three will be good choices. Wire cutters because they are small size and limited in the gauge of wire the handle and the tweezers as Adair mentioned not the best form.
Beginnings of a collection then.
I was actually admiring the wire cutters.I did not even consider what to do with larger wire though.
Too many mini bonsai🤔

Attachments

• 7DAB0765-34ED-470C-9EE1-1F25A39330C0.jpeg
    7DAB0765-34ED-470C-9EE1-1F25A39330C0.jpeg
    184.7 KB · Views: 35
  • F5AF7369-072D-4C98-AFDE-A12B43149D24.jpeg
    F5AF7369-072D-4C98-AFDE-A12B43149D24.jpeg
    164 KB · Views: 47

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
If each tool is something you know you’ll use, then yes. Otherwise, consider adding pieces a la carte that you will definitely use. For example, I don’t use those shears (shape left, size right), the wire cutters are too small, and I’d want sturdier (black) tweezers. So for me, this isn’t a good deal. Might be a good deal for others. I do love my Masakuni tools though, and recommend them highly.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's about what you'll use that serves a much better purpose than anything you already have, or say, that comes with a lifetime replacement from Fiskars.

That said, I'd spend $400 on a decent concave cutter, but I reckon you can get that and a good knob cutter for $400.

I fancy owning a set of steel shears, but I don't see the function or longevity better than cuticle cutters or other scissors that can be found at the thrift store.

Having done all sorts of jobs that need highly specific tools, I understand and respect their necessity. The only "bonsai specific" tools are knob cutters and concave cutters.

I'd argue your money is better spent on 2 sizes of concave cutters and 2 sizes knob cutters.

If you're mission requires more minor snipping, I'd want to feel a shears before commiting.

Sorce

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have a hard time justifying the price differential for Masakuni brand tools. I mean... a wire cutter is a wire cutter, right? I'm a big fan of American Bonsai tools, which I have used for years now without issue. And on the rare occasion I drop my bonsai scissors and bend the tips, I know a replacement of their Pro series scissor will set me back $59... instead of over $400 for a comparable Masakuni product (8" bonsai refinement scissors).

American Bonsai 6-Piece Tool Set with Roll for $294 including shipping

Is carbon steel better than stainless steel for bonsai tools? Yes - if you provide the care, keep them sharpened and oiled, and don't allow them to rust. But is it 8x as nice? Not in my opinion.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Went a la carte on tools myself a couple weeks ago ,Kaneshins and a Knipex wire cutter. Already have a pruning pair from them and very happy. I just go to hardware stores and get nylon brushes to clean deadwood , small chisels to remove deadwood or tweezers at a fishing store.

Attachments

• 85ECB7E1-06D1-487C-A566-6B7BD2562BB9.jpeg
    85ECB7E1-06D1-487C-A566-6B7BD2562BB9.jpeg
    45.7 KB · Views: 40

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
I have a hard time justifying the price differential for Masakuni brand tools. I mean... a wire cutter is a wire cutter, right? I'm a big fan of American Bonsai tools, which I have used for years now without issue. And on the rare occasion I drop my bonsai scissors and bend the tips, I know a replacement of their Pro series scissor will set me back $59... instead of over $400 for a comparable Masakuni product (8" bonsai refinement scissors).

Is carbon steel better than stainless steel for bonsai tools? Yes - if you provide the care, keep them sharpened and oiled, and don't allow them to rust. But is it 8x as nice? Not in my opinion.
I really like my American Bonsai tools. They also have a sharpening service where for $10 per tool they will sharpen them. Doing that once a year at the start of the "season" would be a good option IMO.
I agree with @Shogun610 about a la carte. I prefer not to buy "sets" where I may not use everything but sometimes that is more economical....

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Need to mention that carbon steel in quality scissors is available for more reasonable prices from other manufacturers such as Kaneshin, and I find them superior to stainless steel. I have both types in my tool kit and always tend to reach for the carbon steel when working on refined trees. Do not worry so much with early stage developing work. Just my preference, despite the maintenance routine associated with softer carbon steel tools. But then I tend to keep my tools clean and sharp as a matter of course wether Bonsai or otherwise! Something about a fussy shop teacher in junior high insisting on clean and put them back in the right place before leaving the classroom;)

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Need to mention that carbon steel in quality scissors is available for more reasonable prices from other manufacturers such as Kaneshin, and I find them superior to stainless steel. I have both types in my tool kit and always tend to reach for the carbon steel when working on refined trees. Do not worry so much with early stage developing work. Just my preference, despite the maintenance routine associated with softer carbon steel tools. But then I tend to keep my tools clean and sharp as a matter of course wether Bonsai or otherwise! Something about a fussy shop teacher in junior high insisting on clean and put them back in the right place before leaving the classroom;)
I forgot to mention that I have a bias towards avoiding items manufactured in china. Cannot support their economy or way of life. For that reason I do not purchase tools manufactured in China and rebranded as if they were produced elsewhere. I know it is difficult to always know but it is my understanding that American Bonsai tools are produced in China. If that has changed then so would my view. I prefer to shop locally or within North America if quality and value are comparable.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I forgot to mention that I have a bias towards avoiding items manufactured in china. Cannot support their economy or way of life. For that reason I do not purchase tools manufactured in China and rebranded as if they were produced elsewhere. I know it is difficult to always know but it is my understanding that American Bonsai tools are produced in China. If that has changed then so would my view. I prefer to shop locally or within North America if quality and value are comparable.
Agreed , But I still like Japanese manufacturers too, especially ones like Kaneshin their history is awesome.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry, but that is an awful lot for that set of low-mid level tools--you don't need the large shears, the tweezers or the freaking case. Your money is better spent on individual, high quality tools bought over time. The only "necessary" specialized tools you need are basically the concave cutter and a set of medium shears. Entire sets of tools are mostly a gimmick to get you to pay a premium for tools all at once backed with stuff you don't really need.. You should shop around. I have no idea why you're looking in Japan for any of this stuff. ALL of those are readily available in the U.S. from a number of suppliers. I would also look into American Bonsai Tools. They make pretty decent reasonably priced tools. I've been mostly happy with what I've bought from them--one set of shears got a chipped blade from dropping it, but that can happen with Japanese tools as well.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have nothing bad to say about my Kaneshin and Joshua Roth shears, knob cutter and concave cutter. I have a Masakuni #9 wire cutter that I love, super comfortable and I keep it looped in my finger while working. I did bought a Tian Bonsai (yes I know... Chinese) master grade 180mm wire cutter for the larger wire, and I have a Kobalt 8" bolt cutter that I use for my TIG welding wire that serves to cut heavy gauge copper. I think Ryan uses a similar "bolt cutter" style wire cutter when he works with 4-8 gauge copper.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
it is my understanding that American Bonsai tools are produced in China.

I asked them this question directly at one of the Bonsaiathon shows (I believe in 2016) and was told that over 80% of their product line was at that time made in the US, and they were working to get to 100%. Their background is in CAD/CAM and they started out making aftermarket parts for the auto industry before the pivot to bonsai tools.

Our vision is to have a 100% American-made bonsai product line - our mindset is, if we can do it here in the USA, that's what we do. Any process that we must internationally source is thoroughly vetted to abide by our high standards.

Top Bottom