Mascari bulbs...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I must admit, I am totally clueless when it comes to bulbs. But seen this adorable Kusamono and wanted to give it a try, the planting here seems to plant the bulbs closer than the directions claim. Assuming potting soil for these bulbs in the Erin pot?
image.jpgimage.jpg

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This is done with a technique called "forcing". Google "forcing bulbs" and you should find complete directions. Forcing is usually done to bring bulbs into flower much earleir than normal for indoor display, but you could also leave the pot outdoors (with protection), and the bulbs would bloom on their normal schedule. When planting in a pot like this, the usual recommendation is to space the bulbs about 1/4" apart. This is a temporary display. The bulbs are using stored energy to bloom and usually will not repeat unless taken out of the pot and planted in the ground immediately after flowering.

The genus name of these bulbs is Muscari. If you decide to try it, I suggest Muscari neglectum, starch hyacinth, which is a little smaller but probably the most vigorous of the genus. Another spring flowering bulb that would work is Narcissus x 'Hawera', a tiny daffodil.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks for the info @Michael P ... Well, being I ordered the Mascari Armeniacum (grape Hyacinth) because if claiming to be 6", which arrives in today's mail... Will give that a go. And look into what you mentioned. So one sticks these in the ground after blooming. Interesting, because I was reading a lot about container growing and hadn't seen that mentioned.

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It's possible to grow them in containers year round, but the pot would need to be a lot bigger than typical for kusamono. And since the bulbs will become dormant by late spring and remain so until the following early spring, it's rather pointless to keep them in a pot all that time. Show us pictures when yours starts to grow.

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
It's possible to grow them in containers year round, but the pot would need to be a lot bigger than typical for kusamono.
I find bulbs quite difficult to use for kusamono. As you say they really need deeper pots. I tend to transplant ground-grown bulbs into pots just prior to flowering. I've found that those I keep in pots all year round, especially shallow pots like the ones shown on this thread, throw up leaves but don't flower.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Well, goodness! These bulbs are tiny! I was thinking...what will I do with all 15 bulbs. Lol they will all fit into the small Erin accent pot easily! ? tips have bits of green showing. So will pot them up this weekend I recon. Was hoping to hold out until later...but will leave them in the cold greenhouse once potted. Maybe they will slow the process down a bit. I want them to bloom...but was thinking they would bloom later.

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'm surprised you found any for sale in the winter. They are normally sold and planted in the fall for spring bloom. Definitely pot them up ASAP, and put them in the cold greenhouse to let them grow roots before they flower. Because you don't know how they were stored before you got them, don't let them freeze but do keep them close to freezing for a couple of weeks.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'm surprised you found any for sale in the winter. They are normally sold and planted in the fall for spring bloom. Definitely pot them up ASAP, and put them in the cold greenhouse to let them grow roots before they flower. Because you don't know how they were stored before you got them, don't let them freeze but do keep them close to freezing for a couple of weeks.
Ebay..go figure...the magic seeds that grow blue maples come from there too.

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
:mad:I hate those things! They come up in my flower beds everywhere and I cant get rid of them! I dig them up by the shovelfull and turn them upside down to dry out. I suppose I could try to sell them on ebay and make a fortune...;)

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Just realized I spelled them wrong,lol...muscari ...meant to collect these found while walking on lake property...where no one ventures. And since I'm on the board...it was easy to get the go ahead to collect. Cold got them...but they still look pretty on their way out ...and will bloom again next year.
My ones in the Erin pot are starting to look like they may bloom soon.

Until then...cheap production pot doesn't look to bad with these in it.
IMG_20190422_153938117.jpg

Top Bottom