Massive Green Island Ficus

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Oh hey there you are.. after seeing your name pop up on Reddit enough.. can tell by pics and trees that you aren’t quite the standard beginner! Always nice trees to show :).

SockUnicorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Oh hey there you are.. after seeing your name pop up on Reddit enough.. can tell by pics and trees that you aren’t quite the standard beginner! Always nice trees to show :).
Thank you thank you. I try to consume as much bonsai info as I can and I think it has helped, along with all of the stock that I purchased over the course of my first year. It gave me a lot of hands on experience, moreso than might be usual.

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
Well I did include a video, that shows the dimensions of the 20 inch pot, I know errybody ain't got time for that but it's there if you're curious.
Got it! Didn't even realize the video was for the same tree. Is that you? I liked the video. Wish I could work on my trees outside in a tank top but its snowing now....

SockUnicorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Got it! Didn't even realize the video was for the same tree. Is that you? I liked the video. Wish I could work on my trees outside in a tank top but its snowing now....
Haha yes it's me, and it's still 80 here!

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
Besides I don't gotz the guns or the tattoos to pull it off 😉

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like your tree, very impressive size and base. But does the long, straight trunk bother anyone? Trying to think of potential ways to help with that.

1. Move some more branches in front of the trunk at various places? Break up the long, straight visual.
2. Air layer the top off above the lowest left branch? Reduce the length of the straight trunk.
3. Combination of 1 and 2?
4. Chop much lower and start regrowing a trunk with movement? Most radical, and most time needed.

I know you didn't ask for suggestions, so if you like your tree the way it is feel free to ignore me.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I like your tree, very impressive size and base. But does the long, straight trunk bother anyone? Trying to think of potential ways to help with that.

1. Move some more branches in front of the trunk at various places? Break up the long, straight visual.
2. Air layer the top off above the lowest left branch? Reduce the length of the straight trunk.
4. Chop much lower and start regrowing a trunk with movement? Most radical, and most time needed.

I know you didn't ask for suggestions, so if you like your tree the way it is feel free to ignore me.
Yeah, something like that.....I'm a nebari guy....so that mess gotta go imho.

SockUnicorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b

On the same page as you. I think branches can be used, I just took out criss crossing ones and it left the long section open and vulnerable for now. There is a branch in the perfect spot, middle right, I just need to let it grow now and put it in the right place.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Nice video,
and I like the tree, even though the list from @BrianBay9 is more or less spot on.

I would keep the gnarly nebari.

Look at the Taiwanese Ficus Bonsai - those are massive. But key is look at their branch ramification. They often show their trees after defoliation, so you can see the structure.

I'm of mixed minds, I can see keeping that trunk as is, long and straight, then train branches to complement. Or I could see "chopping back hard", which would leave you with a difficult task of working out taper from the fat trunk to the new, lower apex. I think I would keep the length and work a branch design to complement the trunk.

SockUnicorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Nice video,
and I like the tree, even though the list from @BrianBay9 is more or less spot on.

I would keep the gnarly nebari.

Look at the Taiwanese Ficus Bonsai - those are massive. But key is look at their branch ramification. They often show their trees after defoliation, so you can see the structure.

I'm of mixed minds, I can see keeping that trunk as is, long and straight, then train branches to complement. Or I could see "chopping back hard", which would leave you with a difficult task of working out taper from the fat trunk to the new, lower apex. I think I would keep the length and work a branch design to complement the trunk.
My plan is definitely to build out before cutting back. The top canopy and left branch is actually really nice so I'd like to keep them.

Top Bottom