Massive nursery juniper

RNbonsai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Found this in its side in the back of a mom and pop nursery. They quoted it at 75$.263864263865263866

RNbonsai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I took terrible pics so you can’t really see anything here. It’s a 30 gal pot.
I am honestly not experienced enough to be able to describe or draw any future vision.

When I was standing there I could see it working. It would be the largest tree of mine by a long shot. A big part is that I have always wanted a big juniper and I can never find anything close to this. I plan to pick it up tomorrow, and will be able to get better pics

RNbonsai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Does it look like a good buy at this point?
30 gallon pot, pretty fat tree

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Okay ...

You will have bought it tomorrow. Once you've got it home, sit with it and tell yourself what you are going to do to it = make a plan. I've been through this many times and it is absolute hell because it takes time. Meanwhile, you will need to keep it healthy. You will need to get it out of the nursery soil (if it drains well, there is not a big rush) and into a good inorganic bonsai substrate. You will need to have a training container for it.

A mess of branches may interfere with these tasks --> you will have to decide which, if any branches you can do without to accomplish these beginning tasks.

You want to keep foliage that is close to the trunk = do not begin by "cleaning it out".

Maybe post again in a year or two showing how you've accomplished these things of those of these things you've elected to do (i.e., you may decide to proceed to some degree of styling before getting it out of the nursery soil). Include some good pix of the nebari and the lowest foot of the trunk. It will be exciting!

Pose specific questions that you have, in the meantime.

Last edited:

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What kind of juniper is this?

RNbonsai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Not sure, didn’t have a tag on it.

@0soyoung is it a reasonable purchase? Or a waste?

My plan at this point is to build a box tomorrow and transfer it. I’ve done smaller junipers but none like this. I’m trying to find info on how to get it out of the pot in terms of roots.
Like how much I can remove tomorrow. Hard to find 30 gallon nursery juniper repotting info though haha

What do you think I could do to transfer it?

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
First of all, if you feel like spending the money, it is not a waste. There are many years of pleasure and agony ahead. But, it must be part of why you have taken up the pursuit. It is a participation 'sport'. If you screw up, you might be out $75 plus tax, but you'll be at least $100 smarter. So, plan and execute more, worry less.

It is just like doing a small juniper, though maybe a bit unwieldy - just do things like sawing off the bottom of the root 'ball' proportionate to what you've done before. Obviously you are not going to toss this up on your bench, so you'll be improvising in a big flat area like your driveway with bricks and 2x4 props/levers/slides or the like (you may be surprised at how light it is once you've removed part of the old soil mass). I suggest that you also secure it with guys from some strong branches to eyes on the sides of your box. Then winds/accidents or simply moving it won't stress the roots (take these guys away once the substrate is populated with roots the end of next season or the year after).

At most, I think you might need another set of hands to just hold it in place while you do things that take both of yours = a willing wife or neighbor for a few minutes ought to be all that you need (personally, I wait until I cannot get out from under it to call for help :D ).

It might be your judgement that it would be better to put the box where it is going to be and carry your unpotted tree to it for potting 'on site' as opposed to potting it in the driveway and moving the whole works.

And enjoy a glass of your favorite beverage afterward!

Last edited:

RNbonsai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Plan and execute more, worry less. Beautiful. That's my standard style and its worked well so far. Ok, Ill post some pics tomorrow after pickup. I will plan to cut the roots and repot right after pickup. I think I may already have a good 2x2 box ready.

Hopefully I keep the roots happy and she makes it over the first hump

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
...It might be your judgement that it would be better to put the box where it is going to be and carry your unpotted tree to it for potting 'on site' as opposed to potting it in the driveway and moving the whole works.
True that. Gets very heavy!
1569291929367.png 1569291881360.png 1569292047597.png
I had to get my wife to help me carry this around the house.
It took 12 gallons of bonsai soil to fill and once watered in, ug.
@RNbonsai notice the 1x oak slats I used to support the otherwise weak link, the plywood bottom.

If your winds are often stout, the air arid and the temperature rather hot, Springtime would be a better time
to pot up, or whenever your rainy season is. Like 0soyoung said, observe and keep it healthy a couple years.

Prior to potting up, it should not be pruned too much. It already has a balance of roots and foliage to
whatever degree, so a drastic pruning should not proceed potting up even from now going into Winter.
If so potting up would possibly over weaken the juniper. Frequent misting after root work is always helpful,
and I don't mean for a week, more like a month or two.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wouldn't buy it until you remedy this..
am honestly not experienced enough to be able to describe or draw any future vision.
Which can happen today.
At least don't do anything with it until you fix that.

It has those "things" that make it seem good......but....
It's a ham no burger situation.

On its side in the back....ham...
$75? No burger, burger is $15.

Fat is ham.
No taper. No Burger.

The crossing trunks is going to present a problem, or give you 2 trees...which, could be some Burger.

So that remedy.....

You have to envision all the way to the end before you even repot. Have that plan.

Posting this before you go.
But I got more.

Sorce

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I took terrible pics so you can’t really see anything here. It’s a 30 gal pot.
I am honestly not experienced enough to be able to describe or draw any future vision.

When I was standing there I could see it working. It would be the largest tree of mine by a long shot. A big part is that I have always wanted a big juniper and I can never find anything close to this. I plan to pick it up tomorrow, and will be able to get better pics
big is not always better. From the photos, there is little to recommend this for bonsai. It is more than one plant, too, apparently.

Don't be impressed by anything above the first 12" of trunk. The rest is going to be removed for the most part. With a juniper this big, that will take some work and some time. This isn't worth the trouble.

RNbonsai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Haven't gone to get it just yet.
I will look at it again when I get there and try to see if it has a path. With the smaller trees I can usually see some sort of path.

I like hamburgers.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I would be more concerned with the thread type of foliage
than experience or capabilities of the OP, but since we don't know
what cultivar of juniper it is or have good pic of the newer growth tips
I'm going with the wimpy thread type of foliage presented in the last 2 pics, not best for bonsai in my experience.
There is a possibility though that in due years of cultivation, @RNbonsai will find good info on
cultivating this for bonsai, and get a proper ID on it as well which will help.

Try searching local nurseries for Robusta juniper :)

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
IDK why I find this intriguing since I don't think the foliage is good for bonsai
but if it were...it would be fun to practice on and with ROR.
There's a new shoot, back bud on the front of the trunk that should be kept at all costs
should you decide to go ahead with the purchase, but I'm betting that the bonsai here...

...is in that bottom bit of foliage just above the pot. Is THAT worth $75 ?

What I framed out here is not good bonsai in taper or branch placement, but may be
what drew you to this along with the large circumference of foliage and size of the pot.
In a 30g pot I would expect to see a massive trunk at the base.
Instead I'm seeing more thin multiple trunks. Get better pictures today if you can.
Include the base, and close up of the newest growth. Perhaps someone will ID it for you.
RNBonsai massive J.jpg

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If nothing else I can identify it is f@cking heavy
LOL wuhl it is in Texas. Does that mean you scored it?
That's a much better perspective. The most close foliage I have to that is a Sea of Green but it is not as feathery,
and the bark on it is a little more dark than that one.

RNbonsai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Yup it’s in my yard now- it was a chore moving it into my truck

Top Bottom