Massive sango kaku!

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So there’s a story behind this and a lesson about being honest and asking for things. October last year I stopped by this massive sango kaku tree I pass on my daily drive home from work. I saw the home owner out working in the yard and I asked him if he minded if I could collect some seeds from it. To my surprise he said if I want the whole tree I can have it because he had plans to cut it down in the spring to redo his landscaping. Well here it is almost May and I had forgotten about. I had just passed the tree on my way home Friday and it was looking really pretty. Tonight at 6 o’clock I get a call and it’s the home owner. He informs me that they have pulled the tree out with a back hoe and loaded it on a trailer, wrapped the root ball in plastic and was ready to deliver it to me tonight! I was not expecting this nor had I ever thought that he would be willing out of the kindness of his heart drive it 1 hour to me. So off to digging a hole I went. After the hour trip he arrived and the hole was ready to receive this big ass tree and it’s four foot diameter root ball. We got it in the ground and I thanked the man and tried to give him money for gas, which he refused. He said it just felt right to save this tree and that he had a good feeling about me. The kindness that exists in this world still leaves me speechless. So long story short. It pays to ask, even if it’s just for seeds. I have never transplanted a tree this large. Anything else I should do to give it every fighting chance? I plan on reducing the canopy a bit tomorrow to lessen the demands on the roots. I have sealed any wounds to the trunk with wood glue. I also tried to use a tomato stake like a big chopstick to try to get rid of any air pockets the best I could. I watered it in thoroughly to try to settle more soil in. All my soil sifting leftovers were added to the mix. I know it’s not the ideal time of year for this but it is what it is at this point.

Attachments

• 70E692F7-3FF4-4062-9B8A-C9292D490E27.jpeg
    70E692F7-3FF4-4062-9B8A-C9292D490E27.jpeg
    379.2 KB · Views: 251

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That was so generous of him! I wish you the best of luck! You might as well try to make cuttings from the pieces you trim off when you are reducing the crown. You could also try to airlayer some branches too.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have some plans to propagate as much as I can off it. Fingers crossed on this guy. 🤞

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
What a deal!
There are some amazing people out there. Good for you. 👍

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
that’s really something indeed, good on ya and that fella…am a strong believer in spirit and initiative and people too in a sort that some may call naïve tho it’s really not, and this speaks volume to that goodness. thanks much.

as long as you used best practices in planting which I’m sure you did I’m sure you’re fine. would just watch it in summer -once very well if it has not rained in 6-7 days, more perhaps if it seems stressed is the m.o. regime I understand. it might be grumpy for a couple of months, would be weary of overwater or over feed during this time as it adjusts. it may likely ditch some twigs and branches, would just stay the course. super neat

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It is recommended to plant with the nebari above ground level and mulch that very well
so the ball does not stay too wet, but a bit late for that idea. I make a dam around it with loose soil from the dig
to collect rain and hold water to the root zone somewhat when watering.

Very nice landscape JM I would use a spot light from the base up at night :)

How is the lighting different from the source light now?
My Acer japonicum 'Otaki' took a big hit when I removed an Aspen tree that gave shade from the midday Sun
but now have a Crabapple in place of the Aspen, so hoping it makes a come back.
Best of luck, nice tree and soul to dig and deliver. Wow.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It is recommended to plant with the nebari above ground level and mulch that very well
so the ball does not stay too wet, but a bit late for that idea. I make a dam around it with loose soil from the dig
to collect rain and hold water to the root zone somewhat when watering.

Very nice landscape JM I would use a spot light from the base up at night :)

How is the lighting different from the source light now?
My Acer japonicum 'Otaki' took a big hit when I removed an Aspen tree that gave shade from the midday Sun
but now have a Crabapple in place of the Aspen, so hoping it makes a come back.
Best of luck, nice tree and soul to dig and deliver. Wow.
It will get morning sun and then from noon on it will be shaded by the big elm behind it. It was in full sun in the location it came from. I’m hoping the afternoon shade will help it’s recovery. I kept the nebari at surface level and built a little berm on the down hill side to help collect water and hold it on the root zone.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
My research indicates that Sango Kaku is (borderline-extremely) difficult to propagate by cuttings. I'm attempting some this spring in a half-hearted way, but will likely try again this summer and winter in a more serious manner. It might be best to propagate via airlayering.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
My research indicates that Sango Kaku is (borderline-extremely) difficult to propagate by cuttings. I'm attempting some this spring in a half-hearted way, but will likely try again this summer and winter in a more serious manner. It might be best to propagate via airlayering.
I attempted hardwood cuttings this past winter. The last few are withering away. Airlayering is going to be the ticket here but only once the tree has recovered which may be next year.

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
good for you! The guy just gifted you about $1,000 worth of Japanese maple, including the excavation...hope he doesn't return for it ;-)

FWIW, there is a pretty good market for mature (ish) JM transplants,

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
good for you! The guy just gifted you about $1,000 worth of Japanese maple, including the excavation...hope he doesn't return for it ;-)

FWIW, there is a pretty good market for mature (ish) JM transplants,
Pretty cool that you can buy big trees if you have the $$

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just make sure it gets enough water during recovery.

My neighbor has a very nice red Japanese maple (not sure the variety but it is definitely not a blood good) that a landscape company offered to buy for $20,000 at least 15 years ago. It's the centerpiece of his yard so he declined but wonder what it would be worth today

Canada Bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
I have never transplanted a tree this large. Anything else I should do to give it every fighting chance?

If you have any doubts, there are some VERY experienced and smart people in this forum who have done exactly this many times in their lives:

You might want to ask them about sealing wounds too -- always a hot topic 🔥

You got yourself a great deal there -- a tree like this could cost a few thousand dollars, and any maple-focused nursery would have bought it from him in a heartbeat!

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

My neighbor has a very nice red Japanese maple (not sure the variety but it is definitely not a blood good) that a landscape company offered to buy for $20,000 at least 15 years ago. It's the centerpiece of his yard so he declined but wonder what it would be worth today
Your neighbor probably also catches really big fish.... :)

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If you have any doubts, there are some VERY experienced and smart people in this forum who have done exactly this many times in their lives:

You might want to ask them about sealing wounds too -- always a hot topic 🔥

You got yourself a great deal there -- a tree like this could cost a few thousand dollars, and any maple-focused nursery would have bought it from him in a heartbeat!
There is a fairly large wound on the trunk where I’m guessing the excavator bumped it and knocked some bark off. I sealed it with wood glue. If this one makes it it will definitely have “character”

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

I would like to see what a $20,000 maple looks like 😂

Top Bottom