Master Tsai

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Julian is an amazing young man, upon his return from Japan, he should be booked for years out!

About a week ago I got a message from Julian about an address to ship some Japanese goodies to. I replied a quick "hell yeah" wondering what the hell I did to deserve this! My buddy at work has some Japanese Feldspar, so I was thinking "pottery supplies?", "Kit Kats?", Bloody psyched no matter what, I AM the guy who gets excited about Japanese newsprint!

Today a package arrived! Some crazy Gummies, Mints, some Snacks *, which we made quick work of!

But what's more?

A friggin pot from "Bonsai"!20190624_172031.jpg20190624_170904.jpg

Hold Up....

I got a little accent a while back cuz its the only "Bonsai" pot I thought I might ever afford.

Now I got a "Bonsai" NanBan joint that's right in my size zone? What!

I don't know if you know, but "Bonsai" is the Japanese artist I feel on the same wavelength as......
"Make it challenging for the Artist".

But what's more!?

I have been contemplating a pot like this, but have been stuck not purchasing one, either because of color, size, look, shape, artist, etc.....
I have been "stumped" in my quest to buy this pot, as I really only want to have one of these in my collection, only one composition with this pot shape, so it had to be perfect.

Well @bleumeon , this is the perfect one!

I couldn't have asked for a better way to sink this pot into my collection, this really really really means a lot to me. I want you to know that.

I want everyone else to know about the attention to detail that was telling me, in a hand written note, of the * allergen warning.

That's a guy who you want working on your trees.

Thoughtful.

I can't wish you enough success. I don't have to. You keep proving you're built of it.

Thank you Friend!
Safe Travels.

Sorce

Attachments

• 20190624_172031.jpg
    20190624_172031.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20190624_170904.jpg
    20190624_170904.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 7

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
He is a great guy. Just taller than me, and no one should be taller than me. That is all. 😄
I'm going to try and get him to hang out with me at this badass udon joint one of buddies works at.

CasAH

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have had the pleasure of meeting Julian as well, at the Midwest Bonsai Society show prior to his going to Japan to study. I was impressed with his knowledge of Bonsai at that time. I can only imagine what he has learned in Japan. I knew he has the determination and personality to be a success at teaching Bonsai if he so choose to do so.

Thumbless I did not think Julian was tall, he is actually kind of short to me. 😗

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Thank you for the kind words @sorce . I'm no master yet haha. I received lots of verbal support heading into Japan but your gesture really stood out among them. Not many people will take the time of day to make and sell something on behalf of a stranger. I really wanted to show my gratitude with some goodies from Japan and I'm glad everything arrived safe 😊

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have had the pleasure of meeting Julian as well, at the Midwest Bonsai Society show prior to his going to Japan to study. I was impressed with his knowledge of Bonsai at that time. I can only imagine what he has learned in Japan. I knew he has the determination and personality to be a success at teaching Bonsai if he so choose to do so.

Thumbless I did not think Julian was tall, he is actually kind of short to me. 😗
I'm older generation inadequately nourished Asian 😅

Shinjuku

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
My wife and I were in Japan last month, and we met Julian at Kouka-en nursery in Osaka. I'd echo Sorce's words that Julian is an "amazing young man." Both of us found Julian to be highly intelligent, kind, and compassionate. I also noticed that even though he had only been in Japan for less than a year, his Japanese accent was surprisingly good. This shows his acute attention to detail and his dedication to mastering the "little things."

At the risk of embarrassing Julian even more - there is a certain way of being that Japanese masters exhibit. Here in the US, we often only discuss this "way of being" in yoga, martial arts, meditation, or acting circles, and we usually describe it as "centeredness," "groundedness," or "presence." As Julian was working on a tree at the nursery, I watched him for a few moments from behind, and my wife and I could clearly see that he was already beginning to exhibit some of this "way of being" in the way that he moved and worked. So he's not just learning the techniques of bonsai in his head. He is embracing the feeling and art of bonsai in his heart.

He still has a long ways to go, but when he finishes his apprenticeship and begins the next stage of his life, I have no doubt that "Master Tsai" will become an appropriate term for him. As Darth Vader said... The force is strong with this one.

I would be remiss if I didn't also mention Kaya Mooney, who is an apprentice at Kouka-en also. Everything that I wrote about Julian, I could say for Kaya also, except I didn't hear him speak any Japanese, so I can't comment on his accent :). Both of these young men have amazing gifts, and they are both going to make a big impact in the world.

Being a bonsai apprentice in Japan as a gaijin is a very tough gig, and they are persevering through it with grace. So let's keep both of them in our thoughts and prayers as we wish for their continued success.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I know Kaya well, as he was Boon’s apprentice for a year. I purchased a JBP from Julian just prior to his going to Japan.

Both these young men will be great assets to the bonsai community when they return to the States.

Top Bottom