Mateo’s bald cypress progression thread

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I found this bald cypress on the discount rack at lowes for a whopping $24. I figured it would be fun to play with. After stuffing it in my Honda Accord and getting some funny looks in traffic it is home. I didn’t dig too deep but nebari is non existent on this tree as far as I can tell. It’s going to take some growing and creativity but I think it’s doable.C0DF9BFA-4779-4B3A-9452-39D45CA502B1.jpeg
4C98404F-2665-4561-A143-293218F27FE5.jpeg
42E3DBA6-2137-41B9-B7FD-19F33B5D5330.jpeg

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
After looking at this tree for a couple days I started to form a plan. I noticed there was a nice fork in the top so I figured I’d make two trees out of it. You don’t see many twin trunk bald cypresses…. So off to air layering I went. I used clonex rooting gel and wrapped the cut with wire to help the roots flare out. I have no clue how this will do but since bald cypress are known to regrow roots easily I’m hoping it air layers easily too. Of course the base will be left to grow on and will eventually become something too.
CA9A143A-DB2C-4AE5-A800-7C3891144B06.jpeg
69C1E7EC-4680-4423-AE25-FE191E69F2A5.jpeg
7754A887-AD62-490F-A310-5167E52EAD48.jpeg

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It got a slip pot today and I used a manure enriched soil around the rootball in the new pot. I also moved it into my nursery area so it is now under a timed sprinkler every two days and sits in a water pan that I added fish emulsion to. Hopefully this thing will take off and bulk up a bit.
D28458DB-3ACA-4DC4-B165-E9F7CAA2AC74.jpegF7F5EFD2-6425-4CAA-AC0B-1911E4C048DE.jpeg

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I love bald cypress it’s pretty much #1 on my list next. Can’t find any really around me. I’ll have to start looking harder

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
It'll take off. I've been waiting on Lowes to discount those. Too hot down here to air layer this time of year, I wish you success!!

Word is they won't develop that base flair we all love while in a pot. That said it should still grow plenty. Nice find

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It'll take off. I've been waiting on Lowes to discount those. Too hot down here to air layer this time of year, I wish you success!!

Word is they won't develop that base flair we all love while in a pot. That said it should still grow plenty. Nice find
Do they need to be in the ground/ in a marsh to get that flair haha

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

I think I’m goin to get one of the 20 gallon injection molded planters at lowes for it in the spring and drill drainage holes half way up to simulate swamp. Hopefully that will do something.DB03C77D-0B66-4412-984D-13E2266D1D58.jpeg

Bonsai Turtle

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I would keep an eye on that air layer. I started three air layers in B last year (larger trees though) and they just thumbed their nose at me and callused/healed them over. One finally struck on a third try and I removed it in February. I had to restart the other two a fourth time. In fact I probably need to go check those two this afternoon.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I noticed my sphagnum ball was staying soaking wet so I redid this one today. It had almost callused across the girdle so I cut that off, I hung a pot from a upper branch and repacked the sphagnum in the pot. I’m hoping this will keep the moss at the right moisture level. We will see.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Well the air layers still hasn’t taken. The moss was staying too wet but there is nice callous forming. I redid it and re applied rooting hormone and replaced the moss with soil mix. Let’s see how this does.
C315491B-1B59-4DAF-8CFE-BF8FC57886C0.jpeg
58F34DC4-26B4-434A-99D1-C483C2F25BD5.jpeg
2FA3CC2A-180A-4156-8F5A-BA1809A4EC6A.jpeg

Ming dynasty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B

Salvarez

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I noticed my sphagnum ball was staying soaking wet so I redid this one today. It had almost callused across the girdle so I cut that off, I hung a pot from a upper branch and repacked the sphagnum in the pot. I’m hoping this will keep the moss at the right moisture level. We will see.
IF you were to do this again would you of used the moss? Or go straight to the potting soil and pot?

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
IF you were to do this again would you of used the moss? Or go straight to the potting soil and pot?
I would try it in 100% DE in an open pot like I redid it into. I have no clue if this one is still alive or failed. The needles on this particular air layer changed a few weeks before the rest of the tree did. I will check it in the spring.

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I would try it in 100% DE in an open pot like I redid it into. I have no clue if this one is still alive or failed. The needles on this particular air layer changed a few weeks before the rest of the tree did. I will check it in the spring.

100% DE in the air-layering pot? Have you ever done it like that before for anything else?

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Interesting. Would you use 100% DE in a draining pot and just keep it well watered?
I think the DE would hold enough moisture but not stay soaked like the sphagnum was. With a straight draining pot you could never over water it and rain couldn’t flood it. I would probably have to water it once a week here in the hot and humid North Carolina summers. I have also heard BC are not the easiest to air layer.

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I think the DE would hold enough moisture but not stay soaked like the sphagnum was. With a straight draining pot you could never over water it and rain couldn’t flood it. I would probably have to water it once a week here in the hot and humid North Carolina summers. I have also heard BC are not the easiest to air layer.

We have too many BC eligible for collection for me to ever try air-layering. We have so many, I run them down with my ATV.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
We have too many BC eligible for collection for me to ever try air-layering. We have so many, I run them down with my ATV.
That’s like me with winged and American elms, I pull thousands of seedlings out of my pots every spring. I’m jealous tho. I do plan on going to the eastern end of my state to find me a nice one this spring 😉 this is more so me messing around trying to get the most out of my $, also, a twin trunk bc would be pretty sweet.

shimbrypaku

Shohin
Reaction score
Just my two cents
I use bonsai soil, left over smaller size, and milled sphagnum moss, in a 50 - 50 mix

90% success rate

Thanks

Top Bottom