Matsubara Red

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@River's Edge , I read your post about cuttings on these. Have you or anyone had success with layering?
Great question? I have not tried, and I am not aware if someone has been successful air layering! My thinking is ,
that it probably has been done by someone.

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I would assume if it can root by cutting, layering should be a given? Maybe one of those 2 years or recut layer types though, I'll certainly give it a go in a couple of years

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Do you do anything special to care for these? I've read on EG that they are not vigorous for the species and susceptible to fungal issues.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I would assume if it can root by cutting, layering should be a given? Maybe one of those 2 years or recut layer types though, I'll certainly give it a go in a couple of years
Its great to have an optimistic point of view! Not sure I would consider it a given, knowing how tricky successfully growing from cuttings can actually be even after one has been provided with directions.:eek:
It is encouraging for sure!

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I've had this one in the ground for 1.5 yrs, so nothing for me yet. I think I may have thrown some systemic infuse on it last year

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Do you do anything special to care for these? I've read on EG that they are not vigorous for the species and susceptible to fungal issues.
I suppose it is best described as paying attention to detail with each aspect of their care, the same as for most tricky cultivars or species. Key for the species I protect from frost and overly wet conditions. Partly due to living in a temperate rain forest.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You are better off trying cuttings on another cultivar, matsu are known to be very weak.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Chugging along, trunk up to 1" about 52" tall

View attachment 413818
Looking good, they thicken slowly from my experience, tend to have a much more slender trunk than other cultivars of Prunus Mume. The blooms indicate a pretty happy tree! Very distinctive bark in this cultivar with a darker color than my other cultivars.

Top Bottom