Mature Trident maple Forest

Malix

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Just acquired this wonderful forest. Posting some photos for documentation over time. First pic is as purchased. Second is after some partial defoliation light thinning of the upper canopy to allow light into the interior. lower branches and inside the canopy branches are getting leggy or sparse. Will need to get some health to the lower and inner buds/branches. Forest has not been repotted in at least 6 years from my understanding. Soil looks good and drains very freely tho roots are coming out from drain holes. The forest seemed to be kept very wet based on the moss buildup.. Will be considering wether to repot or not next spring. For now just good watering and fertilizer till fall..

Feeling very fortunate to have this in the garden.. Been looking for nice finished deciduous bonsai ..but did not expect something of this quality to come by my way. Good quality deciduous is somewhat hard to find.. Its quite inspiring to sit and enjoy it.

IMG_9697.jpeg

IMG_9717.jpeg

Icefy

Seedling
Reaction score
Extremely jealous, I want a forest so bad, and a trident maple as well.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Nice find.
It looks quite well styled. Just a few spots in the upper canopy with multiple branches close together. Check and consider selective removal of some branches to prevent reverse taper on upper trunks.
Roots at drain holes is not a good indication of needing repot. That's the first place roots end up so roots can show up within a few months.
6 years is a long time for a shallow pot so a repot in spring would be a good idea. I check need for repot by pressing on the soil surface near the edge of the pot. If it feels spongy there's room for more roots. If soil feels hard its time for repotting.
Another indication of needing repot is the soil rises up out of the pot because lots of roots growing between soil and pot, especially if not tied in well. Convex pots like this one don't allow the roots to push up as easily as a straight sided pot.
Note that you'll need to cut around at least half the pot circumference to get that root ball out of that pot due to the convex pot profile.

Malix

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Nice find.
It looks quite well styled. Just a few spots in the upper canopy with multiple branches close together. Check and consider selective removal of some branches to prevent reverse taper on upper trunks.
Roots at drain holes is not a good indication of needing repot. That's the first place roots end up so roots can show up within a few months.
6 years is a long time for a shallow pot so a repot in spring would be a good idea. I check need for repot by pressing on the soil surface near the edge of the pot. If it feels spongy there's room for more roots. If soil feels hard its time for repotting.
Another indication of needing repot is the soil rises up out of the pot because lots of roots growing between soil and pot, especially if not tied in well. Convex pots like this one don't allow the roots to push up as easily as a straight sided pot.
Note that you'll need to cut around at least half the pot circumference to get that root ball out of that pot due to the convex pot profile.
Yes. It definitely needs some trimming of the upper canopy. As there are some thick branches in the apex areas of the individual trees. Was hoping to do it in late spring while still leafless. It’s a bit difficult to see clearly and make those decisions now. I willl study it in winter and make decisions then. And it is effecting good taper from the trunks to tips in the upper regions so it needs the work, I think.

great tips on checking for needing a repot. Thx. I have a root sickle I will employ when the time comes. I’ve heard about those convex pots.

It is very well styled as you say. It has natural feeling.

Malix

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Ya I feel ya. Or I always have till a few days ago.. at least. Make sure to join any local clubs to you. I think if I had done that along time ago something like this would have been way more possible. Also any sellers or gardens around you that keep bonsai… let them know you’re on the hunt. they might keep you in mind when it comes time.

wishing you luck in finding your
forest!

Icefy

Seedling
Reaction score
Ya I feel ya. Or I always have till a few days ago.. at least. Make sure to join any local clubs to you. I think if I had done that along time ago something like this would have been way more possible. Also any sellers or gardens around you that keep bonsai… let them know you’re on the hunt. they might keep you in mind when it comes time.

wishing you luck in finding your
forest!
I actually recently joined my local group but they don’t really sell, at least on the FB page. I’m on some auction pages as well. I have yet to find any gardens near me that have bonsai other than the usual money trees, but I will stay on the hunt!
I’m actually driving out to CO the end of the week, so I’ll have to see what I can find on the way.
Thanks, and keep this updated!

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice!

Keep the growth of the trees on the outside in check. They'll get the most sun so you need to keep them thin. It's tough to keep trees in the center vigorous.

Oh, definitely re-pot next spring....it needs it and it'll re-invigorate the entire composition........hope you like watering! ;) 😆😆😆😆😆😆😆

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You can get bundles of trident maple saplings at auction on Facebook. I put together a trident forest last spring with the same trees. Carl Brock is the seller. Very nice, small leafed trident maples. I think I paid $85+shipping for a bundle of 15 two to three yr old trees.

Top Bottom