Max Braverman Pots

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Recently, I received that unlikely call out of the blue from a lady who wanted to find a home for her late husband's collection of bonsai pots. While most of them were not valuable, among them were a couple Max Braverman pots from his Pine Garden Pottery days; his Seattle-area workshop where he made bonsai pots between 1986-1998. I remember Max from the mid '90s rec.arts.bonsai days and always admired his work. This was the first time I'd seen his work in person.

The shallow oval, cream glaze with brown speckle is 8"x7"x1".

The Namako blue glaze, with a hint of purple on one side is 7 1/8″x2″.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 79
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 89
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 83
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 88
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 105

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Definitely. The volume of soil it holds would require near-constant watering, but it could be fun to mound and moss and give it a try.

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's my Braverman pot. I got this in 1998. The signature on the bottom is stamped into the clay.

Attachments

• braverman 2.jpg
    braverman 2.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 69
  • braverman 1.jpg
    braverman 1.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 55
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have a whole bunch of Bravermans, some signed, many stamped, and all quite nice. I have several pieces that are single block or wheel thrown, made before the mid 90s when he was forced to use press molds due to back injury. Heres the cool bit though: This afternoon, I was fortunate enough that Bill Valavanis allowed me to rummage through his pottery collection...it's pretty big! At the bottom of a pile was a "Delaware Pottery" piece that was really cool, made by Max at his studio in Delaware before Pine Garden. Only seen a handful of those around, it was pretty big and the glaze really really nice. It was a pleasure to rummage through Bill's collection!
Ryan
http://japanesebonsaipots.net/

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Cool Ryan, you buy it?...any pix?

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hey Brian,
I didn't! That damn trip was one of those empty the bank account affairs! Spent all my loot on trees and stock! If I was buying pots, I would've spent a fortune up north, there was a lot of stuff to see, and buy! I was happy enough just identyfying pots for those guys!
Ryan.

Top Bottom