Maximum Bonsai Size?

somegeek

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've come across a few trees which were very nice but leaned towards the large size with regards to the nebari/trunk and it got me to thinking, what is considered the max size for bonsai to pot up?

somegeek

Last edited:

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What ever your back will tolerate and how many strong friends you have:D I don't think there is a max size.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
There was a post recently that I remember rockm saying that they would need a fork lift to move it around.

It would be easier to have a potter tell us the max size of a pot.

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
That is an very subjective question. Each person could give you a differnt answer. In my opinon at some point I start to consider a tree- a garden tree rather than a Bonsai. But I'd never put any rules or dimensions down with that. And really you could still say it's a Bonsai-it's just a tree in a pot right?...

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This is about the max. size for me...4 foot and 300 lbs. , I'm to dam old to try anything bigger!

Attachments

• jse_yew,_tractor_011.jpg
    jse_yew,_tractor_011.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 91
  • jse_yew,_tractor_008.jpg
    jse_yew,_tractor_008.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 72
  • big yew, pot up 005.jpg
    big yew, pot up 005.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 86
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
How about this one... It's part of the Pacific Rim Bonsai Collection. The wall behind it is probably about 6 to 6.5 feet tall-ish. ;)

Kindest regards,

Victrinia

Attachments

• IMG_9985.jpg
    IMG_9985.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 80

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
LOL...yeah Gary...its called the wilderness work out

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How about this one... It's part of the Pacific Rim Bonsai Collection. The wall behind it is probably about 6 to 6.5 feet tall-ish. ;)

Kindest regards,

Victrinia

The National Arboretum in DC has some very large specimens about that size, including a big ponderosa that I believe Dan Robinson collected. Pot is probably a good 5 feet wide, if not bigger.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A

Kindest regards,

Victrinia

Here is some added scale...one of my favorite photos...

Attachments

• AUT_1539.JPG
    AUT_1539.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 86

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score

I have seen many things in my life, but I will never forget that Mugho pine....Not a black, white or ponderosa,,,but a mugho.... I always knew Vance Wood was on to something dedicating much of his artistry to mughos... The potential of this tree is few and far between in one's life time. If not, a once in a life time find.

Rob

Top Bottom