May have created my first kindling

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well folks, I think I finally killed my first tree. Little dude was starting to put out new growth and the heat wave got him. Gonna throw him in a water cup for a little while to see if anything comes back.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 28

Haines' Trees

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hmm. You do have that one little green spot up on the right there. I don’t see any little light colored tips at the root ends though which isn’t a great sign in most trees, at least during the growing season.

I kinda have to ask... why so little growth on this guy in August? Profile says you’re in Nebraska so its late summer but this tree looks like it thinks its April.

Haines' Trees

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
But regardless of all that, don’t get too bent out of shape over it. My first kill was my second ever tree. An Alberta Spruce that I completely butchered. Got it in my head that I could make it into a windswept right then and there with, shall we say an aggressive approach to wiring.... It was all brown in two weeks haha!

Learn something from it. I know I did from my first contribution to the burn pile... 🔥 🔥 🔥

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hmm. You do have that one little green spot up on the right there. I don’t see any little light colored tips at the root ends though which isn’t a great sign in most trees, at least during the growing season.

I kinda have to ask... why so little growth on this guy in August? Profile says you’re in Nebraska so its late summer but this tree looks like it thinks its April.
All the leaves fell off today. I noticed it when I got home from work. This was a cutting off a bigger tree that I rooted in a glass of water. He had been planted over a plate to encourage outward root growth.

Haines' Trees

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hmm. I don’t know too much about cuttings from mature trees. I know there’s a preferred time to do it, maybe around now. Even still, this heat is brutal on every tree let alone cuttings. In Chicago we’re suffering a heat wave as well. I’m watering some trees twice a day lately...

Top Bottom