May have found a treasure...

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
2 things...

The first being that I would half to disagree regarding the assessed value...
I agree, that the material you have found is worth retrieving... but, I also
know this isn't some long lost, one of a kind find, many a yard across the
US will have similar material.

The second being, that this will have roots spread out in all directions...
underneath all the other Juni's... It will not be hard to retrieve... just extremely
time consuming, and you will end up having to remove all the surrounding
plants around it, just to try and obtain as much of the roots as possible.
They can more than likely be re-planted if you are careful, when removing these
other plants.

Keep all the roots you can maintain, and wrap them in a circle and pile them into
a training pot. I have had to dig these out in the middle of summer, surrounded
by other plants as yours is... Took about 8 hrs. of removing soil all by hand, one
scoop at a time.

I wouldn't trench it... I would just stress it out the once, get it over with, and
let it recover for 2, 3 yrs., or more.
:cool:

Values on material are based on the northeast part of the country. I know some people that don't live here find it hard to believe, however, it is just a fact around here. I am not happy about it, believe me.

My assessment was based on a healthy tree that has been thriving for a while and styled. Also that I actually worked at a bonsai nursery. For the record, right now, little junipers with one twist, with or without shari and around 1 inch trunks are now going for $200-$300. A tree that is 10 times older and 50 times the size, healthy and styled would absolutely get the prices I suggested.

As with everything, you have to provide proof so here it is.:D

Rob

http://www.bonsaiwest.com/index.php/bonsaiwest/item/430

http://www.bonsaiwest.com/index.php/bonsaiwest/item/527

http://www.bonsaiwest.com/index.php/bonsaiwest/item/523

http://www.bonsaiwest.com/index.php/bonsaiwest/item/433

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
p.s. Bonsaiboy..Make sure you seek out the assistance of somene with experience before you dig this up. This is a big job and a wrong move could ruin everything. Also, like I said, late winter or early Spring is the best time to dig this up. Plus you will have to learn about after care. After care is crucial for it's survival. There is a long road here. However, it looks like it would be well worth it. Don't worry about the value at this point. As I said, I just mentioned it so you would realize the importance of your find and treat it with care and respect.

Rob

Last edited:

Bonsaiboy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
And also, as I said, I believe this whole thing is one plant... How would I do the process, as it is one plant?

Bonsaiboy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
p.s. Bonsaiboy..ake sure you seek out the assistance of somene with experience before you dig this up. This is a big job and a wrong move could ruin everything. Also, liek I said, late winter or early Spring is the best time to dig this up. Plus yo uwill have to learn about after care. After care is crucial for it's survival. There is a long road here. However, it looks liek it would be well worth it.

Rob

Yeah, I'm already looking into someone who could help.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Values on material are based on the northeast part of the country. I know some people that don't live here find it hard to believe, however, it is just a fact around here. I am not happy about it, believe me.

My assessment was based on a healthy tree that has been thriving for a while and styled. Also that I actually worked at a bonsai nursery. For the record, right now, little junipers with one twist, with or without shari and around 1 inch trunks are now going for $200-$300. A tree that is 10 times older and 50 times the size, healthy and styled would absolutely get the prices I suggested.

As with everything, you have to provide proof so here it is.:D

Rob

http://www.bonsaiwest.com/index.php/bonsaiwest/item/430

http://www.bonsaiwest.com/index.php/bonsaiwest/item/527

http://www.bonsaiwest.com/index.php/bonsaiwest/item/523

http://www.bonsaiwest.com/index.php/bonsaiwest/item/433
Hear, hear!

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
When should this be done?

Read the links I provided...you will find it there. ;)

You will get different responses (some conflicting) so be prepared to sift through it and decide for yourself. Good luck!

Bonsaiboy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Another photo, and also, should I start watering and fertilizing this as I would any other bonsai? I've literally just let it be in the elements. Also, sorry I've asked this so many times, but it's one plant. When I take it out, do I just cut what I don't want?

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Here are some facts in regards to collecting this tree. Junipers survive not only off of their roots, but off of their foliage. You will need to keep a good amount of the foliage during collecting. Hope you have a big van..lol.. Also, try to get a good amount of roots. As mentioned, the roots are going to be spread out quite far, rather than chopping a a lot off, try to save them. Also, Late winter/early Spring is the best time to collect.

Also, the tree should be put into a well draining soil mix. Something like a combination of akadama and pumice. Do not use dirt or potting soil for this tree. There are also other things you can use, that others might want to suggest.

Have your container all ready before collecting so when you get the tree home, you can just plant it in the grow container. Also, keep the tree out of direct sun for the first 3-4 weeks. Maybe a little morning sun, but that is it. When the tree starts visibly growing, then you can gradually move it into full sun. Also, hold off on fertilizing for a little while after collection.

You have plenty of time to prepare since it won't be until the upcoming February/March that this tree can be safely collected.

Also, you should not work on this tree for 2-3 years after collection. If you try to work on it before this, it might cause a lot of stress to it and lessen it's chances of survival.

I wish you luck and please keep us updated.

Rob

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would follow the advice to get someone knowledgeable with bonsai collecting to come look at it and determine firsthand what the best way to go about this is. I don't think anyone can guide you as well from just pictures you post. You can contact the local club, maybe they can suggest someone.

Bonsaiboy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Here are some facts in regards to collecting this tree. Junipers survive not only off of their roots, but off of their foliage. You will need to keep a good amount of the foliage during collecting. Hope you have a big van..lol.. Also, try to get a good amount of roots. As mentioned, the roots are going to be spread out quite far, rather than chopping a a lot off, try to save them. Also, Late winter/early Spring is the best time to collect.

Also, the tree should be put into a well draining soil mix. Something like a combination of akadama and pumice. Do not use dirt or potting soil for this tree. There are also other things you can use, that others might want to suggest.

Have your container all ready before collecting so when you get the tree home, you can just plant it in the grow container. Also, keep the tree out of direct sun for the first 3-4 weeks. Maybe a little morning sun, but that is it. When the tree starts visibly growing, then you can gradually move it into full sun. Also, hold off on fertilizing for a little while after collection.

You have plenty of time to prepare since it won't be until the upcoming February/March that this tree can be safely collected.

I wish you luck and please keep us updated.

Rob

Will do, but luckily enough for me, this plant is in our landscaping. So I wont have any problem getting it home, lol.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Since this is his yard. Could he just try to containerize right were it sits? Not even move it. It would look like a nice potted garden plant for a few years while. it recovered. It would also allow him to not have to remove much foliage while it recovered. Just an idea. And make sure you know I have close to zero experience in collecting. Just fare warning. Just thinking out loud.

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Nice looking tree with good potential.

I don't think anyone has mentioned this, but it is a Ground Juniper (Juniperus horizontalis). Of course it will have to be reduced drastically but as October mentioned, junipers often don't like that. If you can afford the eyesore, I would reduce the foliage stepwise, starting as soon as possible. i.e. as soon as someone with more experience can assess the situation in person. This will reduce the amount of cutting back you will be doing closer to collection time. It is not a good idea to mix root + foliage work on a juniper in one session.

If the trailing branches have formed their own root systems (as is normal for ground junipers) cutting back may be less stressful since the main trunk is not directly connected to every branch in the colony.

Also, get this book. It has a chapter on ground juniper.

Nick Lenz has probably put more time into ground juniper than anyone on the planet. While his collecting techniques may vary (he probably collects most of his from thin rocky soil in the wild), you will probably find some interesting advice in there.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Will do, but luckily enough for me, this plant is in our landscaping. So I wont have any problem getting it home, lol.

That is great. Also, another little tid bit of information. After collection, it will be good to mist the folaige maybe a couple of times a day. Like I said, junipers thrive off of their foliage. Keeping the foliage happy will be one thing that will help the trees survival.

Also, after collection, you want to try to control as much of the trees suroundings as possible. Hence, keeping it in the shade for a while maybe with some morning sun. Also, in a place where you control the watering. It will need to be watered when it needs it and misted appropriately. These are things that should be controlled by the keeper after a tree is collected and not the weather. Also, in the event of a late and severe frost. If this does come up, you should have a method where the tree can be protected for that short period.

Rob

Bonsaiboy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
That is great. Also, another little tid bit of information. After collection, it will be good to mist the folaige maybe a couple of times a day. Like I said, junipers thrive off of their foliage. Keeping the foliage happy will be one thing that will help the trees survival.

Also, after collection, you want to try to control as much of the trees suroundings as possible. Hence, keeping it in the shade for a while maybe with some morning sun. Also, in a place where you control the watering. It will need to be watered when it needs it and misted appropriately. These are things that should be controlled by the keeper after a tree is collected and not the weather. Also, in the event of a late and severe frost. If this does come up, you should have a method where the tree can be protected for that short period.

Rob

Ok, I've already started thinking about that. Very excited about this tree. Its weird though, because its 5 main branches shoot out in all directions. Gonna be a funny looking one.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score

I don't think anyone has mentioned this, but it is a Ground Juniper (Juniperus horizontalis). Of course it will have to be reduced drastically but as October mentioned, junipers often don't like that. If you can afford the eyesore, I would reduce the foliage stepwise, starting as soon as possible. i.e. as soon as someone with more experience can assess the situation in person. This will reduce the amount of cutting back you will be doing closer to collection time. It is not a good idea to mix root + foliage work on a juniper in one session.

amkhalid has made an excellent suggestion here. Also, based on his suggestion, maybe develop this tree while it's in the ground. It is obviously a very happy and healthy tree. Since it is very strong, you can do the work on it while it's still in the ground. In 2-3 years, you might be able to get a more compact tree. Then at the time of collection, it will be much easier to collect. Training while it is in the ground might be something to consider.

Rob

Bonsaiboy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B

If the trailing branches have formed their own root systems (as is normal for ground junipers) cutting back may be less stressful since the main trunk is not directly connected to every branch in the colony.

Also, get this book. It has a chapter on ground juniper.

Nick Lenz has probably put more time into ground juniper than anyone on the planet. While his collecting techniques may vary (he probably collects most of his from thin rocky soil in the wild), you will probably find some interesting advice in there.
You say as soon as possible. You don't mean this time of year, do you? I do like the idea of spreading out the process.

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Training while it is in the ground might be something to consider.

Rob

Especially since it will never backbud as well or grow as strongly as it will in its current situation. This might be the best plan. Just don't try and explain it to the neighbors :)

You say as soon as possible. You don't mean this time of year, do you? I do like the idea of spreading out the process.

Someone may correct me, but I would say this is a fine time of year to hard prune a juniper, especially a strong landscape one like this. Junipers can be cut pretty much whenever. Again, I would find someone from a local club to advise you when making the initial cuts.

Bonsaiboy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Especially since it will never backbud as well or grow as strongly as it will in its current situation. This might be the best plan. Just don't try and explain it to the neighbors :)

Someone may correct me, but I would say this is a fine time of year to hard prune a juniper, especially a strong landscape one like this. Junipers can be cut pretty much whenever. Again, I would find someone from a local club to advise you when making the initial cuts.

I remember reading something very similar to what you just wrote, that's why I asked. Can someone verify this? Oh and I may be the only person in the world that doesn't have a club ANYWHERE near them...

Top Bottom