May have found a treasure...

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yes I would cut and prune and begin shaping. Someone else said 25%. I think that's a great way to begin. It is best to work in spring though. I have done root and pruning work in the same setting. Just don't over do it. Trenching as suggested earlier will help build a fine fibrous root system. Then dig it out the following year. Or right away if you have to move from that house.

Last edited:

mc4mc44

Mame
Reaction score
I have never seen one ever work with bonsai technique. Many have tried and they always seem to look like a juvinile shrub with lanky growth and terrible foliage. My father had seven of these with trunks that big and that gnarled. They were well over 25 years each growing along the parking strip next to the street, where thousands of these still grow today around America. I dug one, after he decided to remove them. I fiddled with it for a number of years and gave up, giving it away at a club raffle. We sold a ton of tickets, hey it looked impressive and we all know how bonsai people are. Big wood has to equal killer bonsai right?

But by all means, I would love for you to make a liar of me. Please!

Sorry smoke... I thought someone would post this before me... i hate to be the one who does this... but look through the gallery for Nick Lenz on Art of Bonsai, or in his book. Some of my favorite Lenz trees are blue rug junipers.

http://www.artofbonsai.org/galleries/lenz.php

Maybe blue rug junipers just don't work as well out in your climate? Maybe the climate where Nick Lenz lives makes for better foliage? I have no idea what it is, but the foliage on his blue rugs look just as good as on any other juniper I've seen.

Last edited:

Bonsaiboy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Sorry smoke... I thought someone would post this before me... i hate to be the one who does this... but look through the gallery for Nick Lenz on Art of Bonsai, or in his book. Some of my favorite Lenz trees are blue rug junipers.

http://www.artofbonsai.org/galleries/lenz.php

Maybe blue rug junipers just don't work as well out in your climate? Maybe the climate where Nick Lenz lives makes for better foliage? I have no idea what it is, but the foliage on his blue rugs look just as good as on any other juniper I've seen.

That root-over-gargoyle...

Top Bottom