Mayhaw or Hackberry for a forest?

I am trying to decide between developing a Mayhaw or a Hackberry forest. Which one should I go for?

• Mayhaw

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Hackberry

Votes: 10 83.3%

• Total voters

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I am thinking about developing a native bonsai forest. These two came to mind.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hackberry make nice bonsai . Forest could be very nice with multiple smooth bark trees . 👍👍 but I have no idea what a Maybaw is 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ If it’s a form of hawthorn that could be nice also so depends what quility of material you have access to but I have a soft spot for non normally used trees and or styles not normally used for certain trees so both would be cool

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hackberry make nice bonsai . Forest could be very nice with multiple smooth bark trees . 👍👍 but I have no idea what a Maybaw is 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ If it’s a form of hawthorn that could be nice also so depends what quility of material you have access to but I have a soft spot for non normally used trees and or styles not normally used for certain trees so both would be cool

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
All this would depend on the stock you're starting with. Both hawthorn and hackberry can make pretty decent bonsai.
I have access to find them so the stock quality simply depends on the amount of time I spent to look. I suppose the quality level would be about the same.
For single specimen I can find bigger hackberry but we are talking forest here.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Still depends on you or what your after for a composition. Hawthorn in flower could duplicate a orchard . One or 2 larger hackberry with some smaller ones could be very striking . If it was me I would Go for something that makes a statement . So many forests are fairly mundane . Using materiel that is underdeveloped . Or sub par to stand on there own

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I am stoked. I just collected enough Mayhaw to make a forest. I will be working on it tonight! These trees ranges from 1/2" to 2" base. Some are bearing fruits already. It will be a tough job to keep it shallow since the collected trees all have deep roots. It will take a few years to shorten the height for sure. Doing it all at once seems risky. What do y'all think?

Last edited:

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am stoked. I just collected enough Mayhaw to make a forest. I will be working on it tonight! These trees ranges from 1/2" to 2" base. Some are bearing fruits already. It will be a tough job to keep it shallow since the collected trees all have deep roots. It will take a few years to shorten the height for sure. Doing it all at once seems risky. What do y'all think?
It would be prudent to recover the trees in separate pots . Therefore you can move them around as needed for different rates if recovery . It takes longer but you will end up with better material with smaller root balls to build a better forest . Of course you can work on the trees individually as they recover that way you ultimately put together a puzzle that has pieces prepared to fit together . Pretty risky to put newly collected material together in a forest and I don’t think you will be happy with the results but I have. No experience with any hackberry species

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
It would be prudent to recover the trees in separate pots . Therefore you can move them around as needed for different rates if recovery . It takes longer but you will end up with better material with smaller root balls to build a better forest . Of course you can work on the trees individually as they recover that way you ultimately put together a puzzle that has pieces prepared to fit together . Pretty risky to put newly collected material together in a forest and I don’t think you will be happy with the results but I have. No experience with any hackberry species
All great points yet I have an abundance of material and I am itchy to try. I will attempt a more methodical one later when I have more experience with Mayhaw.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You need to get them into deep enough pots for the to receover since you are collecting them a bit late if they are in fruit alread. I would have started back in the spring. I have a white haw “forest” that depending on how you count them are from 3-5 trees. I dug them thinking they were a single tree but then when I started separating the the stems I found several individuals. So I just separated them a bit and planted them up as a small forest. That was in Feb 2018 and they didn’t skip a beat. Mine were vary shallow rooted as they came form a mountain top located at about 4000’, not much soil to sink a taproot into.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You need to get them into deep enough pots for the to receover since you are collecting them a bit late if they are in fruit alread. I would have started back in the spring. I have a white haw “forest” that depending on how you count them are from 3-5 trees. I dug them thinking they were a single tree but then when I started separating the the stems I found several individuals. So I just separated them a bit and planted them up as a small forest. That was in Feb 2018 and they didn’t skip a beat. Mine were vary shallow rooted as they came form a mountain top located at about 4000’, not much soil to sink a taproot into.
I’m always envious. If you guys with access to mountains. Ontario is a large province but the highest point is about 2300 feet above sea level . A lot of the province is about the same as where I live 1000 feet a lot of the province is what’s called the Canadian Shield essential large chunks of rock sticking out of the ground but no elevation . Can’t complain to much rock and extreme weather make lots of sources to collect just wear out lots of hiking boots looking

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
The fact that these are practically under brush of bigger trees make their root ball skewed and trunks angled away. That made it fairly easy to form a forest. They fit like a jig saw puzzle.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like your placement.
Glad they responded quickly.

Top Bottom