Mbunros 2020-25 azalea contest entry

mbunro

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is my entry. Paid 29 dollars just before Christmas. It's a Leopold Astrid.
Planning to remove any dead trunks and reduce live ones down to about 7
Other than trimming through autumn to stop spring flowering this will be all the work I do for the next 6 months.. will post updates

Attachments

• 20200104_103740.jpg
    20200104_103740.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 68

mbunro

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah a clump is the plan..
Trunk reduction finished.
All remaining trunks will be shortened by at least half eventually. Then start building ramification from there.

Attachments

• 20200104_110017.jpg
    20200104_110017.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 71

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Looks great. After a year or two of recovery, I would still bring it down even further, 5 trunks at the most. Possibly you could bring it down to just a twin trunk. Just my thought from a single photo. If you were to reduce the number of trunks, you would need to go slow so the base would have time to heal over to make a wide spread mounded trunk base.

mbunro

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks great. After a year or two of recovery, I would still bring it down even further, 5 trunks at the most. Possibly you could bring it down to just a twin trunk. Just my thought from a single photo. If you were to reduce the number of trunks, you would need to go slow so the base would have time to heal over to make a wide spread mounded trunk base.

yeah i may yet reduce the number of trunks but work so far should produce the back budding i want. i think about 4 of the trunks you can see come from very low at the rear of the base so plan to leave a couple of those to add depth to the final design.
i think a year of recovery will be more than enough, they are pretty bulletproof where i live.

mbunro

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Got a random early flower on this one... Earliest Iv seen azalea flowers on my benches is late April with the bulk of the flowering happening august-september so this is very early for me... Has some cool colour to it but started turning brown before it fully opened.. at least I know how big they are now though..

20200313_151228.jpg

mbunro

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry for lack of updates, been a bit busy.
After the single early flower, I left it for about 2 weeks before removing the rest of the flower buds.
It's just been doing its thing since then.
It's the middle of winter here so will start thinking about the next steps late september.

Screenshot_20200703-150512_Gallery.jpg

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Spring is here and your azalea could be blooming (depending on your location) or starting to leaf out with this season’s flush……it’s time for updates!

I would also like to add at this time we have 3 prizes to award. Many thanks to @Forsoothe! and @Deep Sea Diver for donating. I am also donating a prize as well.

If you are no longer interested in continuing in the Azalea Contest, please let me know so we can close your thread, thanks.

Top Bottom