"Mediterranean" and Other Tree's Winter Hardiness

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well the young cork and live oaks are waking up.
Any advice on cork oak repots in the(se) climates? Bottom heat?
For completeness, I repotted the coast live oak saplings too late and too hard on the roots. The sprouts withered, there was stem dieback, and lost one completely. Another larger one with a more intact rootball survived. In my old climate, I don’t think these would have skipped a beat. But back under the T5s they struggled after the repots. The one that survived with a larger rootball was also under the LED. I’m not sure if that was a factor.

The larger one from the previous post is much healthier after strong summer growth with pruning and partial defoliation to replace the damaged leaves from last summer’s overwatering/fungus. I will try a repot to a bonsai training container this early Spring.

Should it go on a heat mat? Garage air temps will be 45-65F. It could go in the tropical tent, but I think 65-85F with 50% might be too much?

IMG_3685.jpegIMG_3686.jpeg

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The larger one from the previous post is much healthier after strong summer growth with pruning and partial defoliation to replace the damaged leaves from last summer’s overwatering/fungus. I will try a repot to a bonsai training container this early Spring.
Crap, I jinxed it. I should have been watering instead of posting. I must have missed it and it went crispy on the ends. It will probably survive with dieback. Doh!

Top Bottom