Meet my Little friend

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for the suggestions, all beautiful pots. Though I prefer the gnarly trunked azaleas, like this one, in unglazed containers, I'd sure love one of the pots you linked the next time this tree gets re-potted. A bit pricey for me at the moment, but you get what you pay for, I suppose. I guess I'll start saving my nickels now:D.

Dave

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Wow Dave, looks pretty amazing. Do you think you'll let it flower next year or no, and what would be the reasoning why you wouldn't? I know that it redirects the energy, so you are looking for better growth?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks Tom. The idea is that removing flowers/preventing flowering will redirect energy into vegetative growth. I honestly don't know how much energy is saved or redirected when the flower buds are removed, and I haven't had enough experience with Satsukis to comment one way or the other. As far as this tree is concerned, I may show this one next spring if I can find a descent pot for it, so it may have a few more flowers on it next year as compared to last. Take it easy,

Dave

Ron Dennis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Well, it was a very cold December and January here in N. Georgia...The second week of December brought record low temps and wind chills near zero. Despite placing my azaleas up against the house and providing a windbreak, the foliage on the this tree took a beating. Lots of brown, discolored leaves...:mad:. Still, the majority of foliage remained a healthy green.

I anticipated re-potting my azaleas sometime in mid/late March, but yesterday, after 10 days of above average temps, I noticed the buds were beginning to move. Sooooo...it's now in a mica bonsai pot. I have a large chinese pot that I could have squeezed it into, but I opted for the larger mica pot for now.

Stunning tree!

Ron Dennis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Dav4, The next time we are heading up to Highlands I would like to PM you and see if we might come by to see your collection.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Lovely combo, you must be thrilled that it works so well with that trunk!
good on ya.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Lovely combo, you must be thrilled that it works so well with that trunk!
good on ya.
I was losing sleep over finding a pot suitable for this tree...it's one of the biggest trunked azaleas I've seen in person (and I'm still wondering why I bought it...it's not getting any lighter in the new pot). Anyway, Yen at Osiga has some pretty big pots;)

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Great pot, great tree. Not much else to say I am really jealous of it. Reminds me of a huge bougie they have at NEBGs.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice tree. Let me know if it gets too heavy. I think I can move it around my bench. :)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Love the pot... where did you acquire it, if I may ask?

It goes without saying that the tree is looking lovely.... well done. :)

V

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I purchased from Osiga Company- Yen is the owner...great guy...the website is down right now, but I can get you contact info ie. email if you like...the pot is high quality chinese.

Top Bottom