Meeting Nuts in person...

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I have not met anybody... 9 years here... *cries bitter tears and wonder if he smells* It has been close a time or 2. Things did not work out when they were passing through Vegas. A few former members I almost got the chance to meet.

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm so godamn English I only understand about 30% of the first part of this, but I very much enjoyed reading it.

I'm as American as apple pie and I only catch about half of what @sorce is actually talking about - the other half is about using your imagination to fill in the blanks. He could make a simple walk down the street sound like an acid trip.

Cattwooduk

Shohin
Reaction score
I'm as American as apple pie and I only catch about half of what @sorce is actually talking about - the other half is about using your imagination to fill in the blanks. He could make a simple walk down the street sound like an acid trip.

Besides the friendly atmosphere and extensive knowledge and information on offer here, Sorce's musings are a large part of what draws me back haha!

Also I'm unlikely to ever meet most of the members here being on a different continent, but there are a few UK members not so far away that we might meet some day!

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yeah by the way @GrimLore, when are we gonna cross paths. I like your style, shame SE PA is a flat liner in the bonsai arena

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Let's see...hope I don't miss someone...
@Dav4 (met through BNut, has visited here)
@tolz (met through BNut, has visited here)
@Vin (met through BNut, he and his son visited here)
@Stickroot & Mrs. (met through BNut, they have visited here)
@thumblessprimate1 (met through BNut, has visited here)
@ml_work (met through BNut and AL show)
@Owen Reich (came over and worked with me for a day)
@Ron Dennis (lives nearby)
@CamdenJim (lives nearby)
@MACH5 (met through BNut)
@fredtruck (known Fred forever)
@Jonas Dupuich (met at Nationals)
@GastroGnome (met through BNut, he's been here, I've been there)
@William N. Valavanis (met in Nashville, Nationals, toured his arboretum with Mach5, Fred, Nomiyama, CHUCHIN)
@Nomiyama (Nationals)
@amkhalid (Nationals)
@pjkatich (Nashville)
@garywood (known almost forever, I've been there, he's been here)
@CHUCHIN (Nationals)
@Dan W. (by phone)
@hometeamrocker (met through BNut)
@johng (Nationals)
@Brent (by phone; plan to visit this summer)
@Telperion (by phone)
@Jim Gremel (Nationals)
@suthin (Nationals)

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Man, you Easterners have all the fun. If I ever win the lottery, I'm moving your way. I'd just have to decide which of you poor souls would get me as a neighbor "can I borrow a cup of akadama, some pine chips and a hand saw? I'm making bonsai" lol.

Seriously though, you are luck to have people who share your passion close enough to meet. Sometimes I feel like I live in the buttcrack of America, deep and dark without a lot of fun going on.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I have not met anybody... 9 years here... *cries bitter tears and wonder if he smells* It has been close a time or 2. Things did not work out when they were passing through Vegas. A few former members I almost got the chance to meet.
Rob, I thought about you when I was in LV last week, and decided I would look you up if I had a free evening, but it didn't work out that I had any extra time, sorry. I will keep trying, I promise.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Man, you Easterners have all the fun. If I ever win the lottery, I'm moving your way. I'd just have to decide which of you poor souls would get me as a neighbor "can I borrow a cup of akadama, some pine chips and a hand saw? I'm making bonsai" lol.

Seriously though, you are luck to have people who share your passion close enough to meet. Sometimes I feel like I live in the buttcrack of America, deep and dark without a lot of fun going on.
Yet you live in one of nature's wonderland of beauty and a mecca of trees we use for bonsai.

CasAH

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lol you are a good dude Sorce hopefully we can meet up again soon so you can check out them junipers. Bro I called BC Bonsai based off in Wheaton because Hidden Gardens was closed, I found BC Bonsai from the chicagobonsai org resources section. It ended up being a guys house. I do not know if you have ever been there but his name is Jim Beck and it is by appointment only, I got lucky enough to get in and unfortunately I was too negligent into knowing exactly what I was looking at to appreciate his collection. Real nice guy. I showed him that tree you gave me and he really liked it. He said it looked super healthy and apparently there is some interesting " concave " work you have done which he was impressed with as well as the pot, he really liked that whole setup lol. Real pumped about the Bonsai you gave me, very thankful! Overall great day, thanks again man. I'll post pictures of the trees

BC Bonsai has about 15 acres out near Paw Paw on I-39 between I-80 and I-88, where the grow their trees. Contact them about meeting out there on the weekends.

I have met Sorce and Chicago1980.

I grew up in Chicago and I do not understand half of what Sorce is talking about.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
BC Bonsai has about 15 acres out near Paw Paw on I-39 between I-80 and I-88, where the grow their trees. Contact them about meeting out there on the weekends.

I have met Sorce and Chicago1980.

I grew up in Chicago and I do not understand half of what Sorce is talking about.
No one does, but you gotta' love his enthusiasm.

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I've never met anyone here, only got here a short while ago haha

But it would be awesome!

iOne

Sapling
Reaction score
CasAh, you are correct Jim had said they have a nursery and offer workshops and one on one training. I am not far so in May when I pot my barbados cherry I will probably go there unless I can get Sorce to help. No overall I am real happy with the community, everyone on the forums is cool. Hopefully there is an exhibit or something near Chicago where we can go too. I like bonsai as soon as I feel confident enough I will buy a nice tree to show off, I do not think I will ever have a lot a lot of trees, I just think a few show pieces would be nice and obviously that would be the end goal. Right now I am just going to concentrate with what I have as I am real happy with my bonsai and go from there.

CasAH

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
CasAh, you are correct Jim had said they have a nursery and offer workshops and one on one training. I am not far so in May when I pot my barbados cherry I will probably go there unless I can get Sorce to help. No overall I am real happy with the community, everyone on the forums is cool. Hopefully there is an exhibit or something near Chicago where we can go too. I like bonsai as soon as I feel confident enough I will buy a nice tree to show off, I do not think I will ever have a lot a lot of trees, I just think a few show pieces would be nice and obviously that would be the end goal. Right now I am just going to concentrate with what I have as I am real happy with my bonsai and go from there.

The Prairie State Bonsai Society has meetings and shows at the Morton Arboretum. The Midwest Bonsai Society meets and has two shows a year at the Chicago Botanic Garbens in Glencoe. It is a hike for you, but there is a show in May.

Both clubs shows will have number of vendors if you need tools, wire and trees they are good place to find them.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Rob, I thought about you when I was in LV last week, and decided I would look you up if I had a free evening, but it didn't work out that I had any extra time, sorry. I will keep trying, I promise.

See? like this! A swing and a miss. Let me see...

I think I almost met:
obviously @Brian Van Fleet
@irene_b
@grouper52
@garywood
@Vance Wood
Spoke with Mrs. Valavanis on the phone.

Maybe a few other ships that passed in the night...

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
(known Fred forever)

Well that makes sense!

When I see Fredtruck posts I think of one Corn Stalk, 1 Corn Stalk out of Billions, yet he is the only one (cept coffee), that comes here!

I forgot how well Corn Stalks transplant!

Well 2+2!

That is cool!

BVF is so far beating California, as a whole,

By a.......

Landslide!

Cool Brian!

Sorce

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is