Meeting Nuts in person...

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I met @Alain first, @Owen Reich second(way starstruck!), @Leo in N E Illinois, @chicago1980 and @CasAH most recently...

If snow allows, which it must, our newb @iOne today....

And hopefully another out of stater @Soldano666 here soon.

Had a phone chat with @GrimLore once...but who hasn't!?:p

Anyway, my count goes up and I haven't met anyone that wasn't pretty Damn cool!:cool:

Trying hard to get to Michigan this year, and going to Ohio for baseball may net me another nut or 2!

I know you Cali guys got me beat...

Where is your count at?

Sorce

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I haven't meet anyone in person. I believe I have met MarkyScott one time at one of HBS show but I don't think I introduce myself. That was years ago. I can see myself getting to know Scott a bit more so I can learn a few more things from him. I can also see that I will most likely have a face to face meet with @thumblessprimate1 to exchange trees. Everyone knows we are hoarders on this forum. If you ever come down to Houston, let me know.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I haven't meet anyone in person. I believe I have met MarkyScott one time at one of HBS show but I don't think I introduce myself. That was years ago. I can see myself getting to know Scott a bit more so I can learn a few more things from him. I can also see that I will most likely have a face to face meet with @thumblessprimate1 to exchange trees. Everyone knows we are hoarders on this forum. If you ever come down to Houston, let me know.

Uh uh! We don't need to get any closer! Jk'

I've met BVF. Very nice and down to Earth guy. It's nice to meet and chat.

pweifan

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I met @clevetromba at a Cleveland Bonsai Club meeting, but he hasn't been back there or here in a while. I talked to @johng over on TPT when I was just getting interested in bonsai... it's funny how many bonsai people keep planted fishtanks :) @sorce, if you make it to MI, I'd like to meet up with you and @M. Frary. I go to the Lansing area fairly regularly and I'm willing to drive further. If the schedules work out, I think it would be fun.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Most of the members of our bonsai study group @Si Nguyen, @michaelj , @bonhe , @ianb are here.

I have also met @Smoke , @ColinFraser and many others whose names escape me at the moment. Hopefully in the future as my schedule becomes more flexible, I will be able to attend more conventions and workshops, and spend more time bonsai socializing!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I have been amazed at how friendly bonsai people in general are. I've met a number of BNuts, mostly by doing what I'm going to do now. And I apologize to Mike @M. Frary for not making the time to wander up to his neck of the woods. Mike- I have a friend who just accepted a job in Mount Pleasant, at the university, and he will have a guest room, so I have a place relatively near by I can stop over at on the way to or from Mio. He started his post a few weeks ago, and is now moved in, so soon I'll be up that way.

I'm going to be in Sarasota from March 24 thru March 29, if any BNut would not mind me dropping in, I will be looking to escape my Sarasota hosts for a few hours. Any destination within 2 hour drive of Sarasota I'd be more than willing to travel.

Any Sarasota members here?
PM me

Thanks
Leo

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I had the pleasure of meeting @Stickroot. He invited me along on a field trip to Cass Bonsai last summer. Great guy, and great place. Can't wait to get back there after the snow melts:mad:. And I am also member of Grimmys phone a friend program.:)

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Story Time!

This one is called.....

The Blueprints of Gaining Think Fuel with Tree Cover.

Yesterday, I received a call about going to pick up a check up in Romeoville. Cool!
At about the same time, a new guy named @iOne pops onto the Nut! Word's were exchanged and I called him a "shithead"!

So by the end of the night I found out iOne is from right up there where I had to go. Joliet! So we managed to set a possible meet up if it worked out. Bike Rack, three o'clock kinda thing.

I pull into a gas station and buy a White Sox car adapter, with a White Sox cable, 2 cartons a Newport Hunad Box and a Cherry Fucking Coke! Dr. Pepper is a Proctologist, he belongs in the can.

I get to the Bank parking lot 6 minutes early, because punctuality counts. My foreman shows up a few minutes later yelling at my other guy, Frankie. He was going to be late, wanted my foreman to give his check to me. You see, I lent Frankie a pack of squares(fags), so I had to talk to him anyway. I was also hanging out for a while, to meet iOne.

I don't know if it's the way I look, with my beard tied in some crazy hillbilly beardy tail type thing. Maybe it was the foreman and his neck tats, in a look-at-me F-250. Somehow, I had already passed the blueprints back to my foreman, and You Know Who pulls up into the lot.
Fitty, scrilla, POPO, 6 year old Autistic child Murderers....(oh you didn't know?)

Then at that most opportune moment, Frankie shows up. In an Avalanche just old enough to be a Rammer, in gangster shades, and your general Bridgeport attire. The image you see in your head when you listen to the news about Chiraq....yeah that's Frankie! A good dude, with kids, who got his shit together, but hood. In it deep enough to see a friend buried just the other week.

We ditched the foreman and I went to Petco to text iOne, hoping that Swine left in the meantime. After a few back and forths, we decided that spot was too hot to go dealing trees in, so we arranged a new place to meet.

I finished up with Frankie and made my way out.

I met up with iOne. More youthful than I imagined, I felt kinda old! We were able to chat for a few, as I expected, my man was just geeked to have found bonsai! Crazy is he found us so quick after!

Coolest thing is I met a 1 day old NUT!

The moral of that story...
Keep the Blueprints out on the Hood of the truck!

Side note

But Ok!

Let's talk about the in person Human interaction with a 1 day old NUT, who very recently found Bonsai!

It refreshed my understanding of the Newb!

What a great feeling!

I realized that if we are truly serious about wanting this Hobby to become more youthful....
And pack it full of fresh ideas....
And have a generation to "dote on" our trees....

We really really really have to better understand, Friggin remember, what it is to have a question every 15 seconds when we first started out.

These kids type on these things so fast, the standard keyboard is dead!
And in the excitement (pause, remember)
They'll ask those questions as soon as they come up!

This IS their Library!

This is their method.

We have a huge responsibility to take care of These newcomers...

Wether they are young or not!

The Moral of this Story.

I called iOne a shithead, I don't know if he read that yet when he PMd me, but my first reply was something like, "I hope you took that 'shithead' in jest, as it was intended".

He responded along the lines of....

'you know Thats how we roll here'

Day one Newb! Thanks for helping me prove that point!

Quote from Frankie to a dude from Indiana that we work with...

"Bro, if you can't handle ball bustin from where I'm from, you're gonna have a shitty life!"

Love from .....

Here.

Sorce

iOne

Sapling
Reaction score
Lol you are a good dude Sorce hopefully we can meet up again soon so you can check out them junipers. Bro I called BC Bonsai based off in Wheaton because Hidden Gardens was closed, I found BC Bonsai from the chicagobonsai org resources section. It ended up being a guys house. I do not know if you have ever been there but his name is Jim Beck and it is by appointment only, I got lucky enough to get in and unfortunately I was too negligent into knowing exactly what I was looking at to appreciate his collection. Real nice guy. I showed him that tree you gave me and he really liked it. He said it looked super healthy and apparently there is some interesting " concave " work you have done which he was impressed with as well as the pot, he really liked that whole setup lol. Real pumped about the Bonsai you gave me, very thankful! Overall great day, thanks again man. I'll post pictures of the trees

Cattwooduk

Shohin
Reaction score
Story Time!

This one is called.....

The Blueprints of Gaining Think Fuel with Tree Cover.

Yesterday, I received a call about going to pick up a check up in Romeoville. Cool!
At about the same time, a new guy named @iOne pops onto the Nut! Word's were exchanged and I called him a "shithead"!

So by the end of the night I found out iOne is from right up there where I had to go. Joliet! So we managed to set a possible meet up if it worked out. Bike Rack, three o'clock kinda thing.

I pull into a gas station and buy a White Sox car adapter, with a White Sox cable, 2 cartons a Newport Hunad Box and a Cherry Fucking Coke! Dr. Pepper is a Proctologist, he belongs in the can.

I get to the Bank parking lot 6 minutes early, because punctuality counts. My foreman shows up a few minutes later yelling at my other guy, Frankie. He was going to be late, wanted my foreman to give his check to me. You see, I lent Frankie a pack of squares(fags), so I had to talk to him anyway. I was also hanging out for a while, to meet iOne.

I don't know if it's the way I look, with my beard tied in some crazy hillbilly beardy tail type thing. Maybe it was the foreman and his neck tats, in a look-at-me F-250. Somehow, I had already passed the blueprints back to my foreman, and You Know Who pulls up into the lot.
Fitty, scrilla, POPO, 6 year old Autistic child Murderers....(oh you didn't know?)

Then at that most opportune moment, Frankie shows up. In an Avalanche just old enough to be a Rammer, in gangster shades, and your general Bridgeport attire. The image you see in your head when you listen to the news about Chiraq....yeah that's Frankie! A good dude, with kids, who got his shit together, but hood. In it deep enough to see a friend buried just the other week.

We ditched the foreman and I went to Petco to text iOne, hoping that Swine left in the meantime. After a few back and forths, we decided that spot was too hot to go dealing trees in, so we arranged a new place to meet.

I finished up with Frankie and made my way out.

I met up with iOne. More youthful than I imagined, I felt kinda old! We were able to chat for a few, as I expected, my man was just geeked to have found bonsai! Crazy is he found us so quick after!

Coolest thing is I met a 1 day old NUT!

The moral of that story...
Keep the Blueprints out on the Hood of the truck!

Side note

But Ok!

Let's talk about the in person Human interaction with a 1 day old NUT, who very recently found Bonsai!

It refreshed my understanding of the Newb!

What a great feeling!

I realized that if we are truly serious about wanting this Hobby to become more youthful....
And pack it full of fresh ideas....
And have a generation to "dote on" our trees....

We really really really have to better understand, Friggin remember, what it is to have a question every 15 seconds when we first started out.

These kids type on these things so fast, the standard keyboard is dead!
And in the excitement (pause, remember)
They'll ask those questions as soon as they come up!

This IS their Library!

This is their method.

We have a huge responsibility to take care of These newcomers...

Wether they are young or not!

The Moral of this Story.

I called iOne a shithead, I don't know if he read that yet when he PMd me, but my first reply was something like, "I hope you took that 'shithead' in jest, as it was intended".

He responded along the lines of....

'you know Thats how we roll here'

Day one Newb! Thanks for helping me prove that point!

Quote from Frankie to a dude from Indiana that we work with...

"Bro, if you can't handle ball bustin from where I'm from, you're gonna have a shitty life!"

Love from .....

Here.

Sorce

I'm so godamn English I only understand about 30% of the first part of this, but I very much enjoyed reading it.

Top Bottom