melaleuca Quinquenervia

aussiedaz

Seedling
Reaction score
g'day all , has anyone had this kind of melaleuca before , just about to get one and just trying to get some information on them
cheers

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I have only had these as quite young nursery stock but my observations are they should be pretty good bonsai material, they back bud real well after a chop and are a fairly tough tree. However they love water and I have lost a couple on hot windy days when it's dried up so best to keep an eye on that, they seem to need more water than you'd think.

Hopefully someone else can offer you more advice than that but I would happily grow more of these.

aussiedaz

Seedling
Reaction score
I have only had these as quite young nursery stock but my observations are they should be pretty good bonsai material, they back bud real well after a chop and are a fairly tough tree. However they love water and I have lost a couple on hot windy days when it's dried up so best to keep an eye on that, they seem to need more water than you'd think.

Hopefully someone else can offer you more advice than that but I would happily grow more of these.
yes mate i know they like wet feet , wasn't su

aussiedaz

Seedling
Reaction score

there very hardy trees but as bonsai i'm not sure , yes they love wet feet but as for pruning i wasn't sure how well they take , i'm in WA

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
They can take pretty much any pruning you throw at them and if done in the growing season will throw out more shoots fairly quickly. Most Mels make great bonsai candidates and from what I can tell these are no exception. I'd also leave some foliage when cutting back though, never cut back past the last green leaves, I imagine you could do but that is my general rule with most trees.

Mine are still too little to do much with at the moment but when I got them I potted them up and cut them back and then had to keep rubbing buds off that I didn't want. Now I'm just letting them grow out to thicken the trunk a bit more but they are fast growers too.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Mel q. is tough and resilient. It will respond very well to bonsai culture. There are quite a few examples down here. I assume aussiedaz is a fellow downunderian though the profile has not been filled in. you can get much more accurate advice if you put a location in your profile so people can see your location at a glance.
There are a few threads featuring M. q. on Ausbonsai forum that might be worth a look - https://www.ausbonsai.com.au/forum/search.php?keywords=quinquinervia&fid[0]=87
You might also find some info and photos if you search APAB or Australian Native Plants as Bonsai. Canberra club have been hosting an exhibition and forum for many years. Photo records of the exhibit trees can also be found on Canberra Bonsai website.

M. q tends to have large leaves so usually suits larger sized bonsai. Peeling, papery bark is a feature and wild trees have great shapes.

aussiedaz

Seedling
Reaction score
They can take pretty much any pruning you throw at them and if done in the growing season will throw out more shoots fairly quickly. Most Mels make great bonsai candidates and from what I can tell these are no exception. I'd also leave some foliage when cutting back though, never cut back past the last green leaves, I imagine you could do but that is my general rule with most trees.

Mine are still too little to do much with at the moment but when I got them I potted them up and cut them back and then had to keep rubbing buds off that I didn't want. Now I'm just letting them grow out to thicken the trunk a bit more but they are fast growers too.

Attachments

• 24540BC1-3BE8-499E-8566-48E85197E97A.png
    24540BC1-3BE8-499E-8566-48E85197E97A.png
    379.7 KB · Views: 17

aussiedaz

Seedling
Reaction score

i have a few Mel but not the broad leafed paper bark , so just wasn't to sure how they go , there a hardy tree like water and don't mind being dry ( so i think ) cheers

aussiedaz

Seedling
Reaction score
Mel q. is tough and resilient. It will respond very well to bonsai culture. There are quite a few examples down here. I assume aussiedaz is a fellow downunderian though the profile has not been filled in. you can get much more accurate advice if you put a location in your profile so people can see your location at a glance.
There are a few threads featuring M. q. on Ausbonsai forum that might be worth a look - https://www.ausbonsai.com.au/forum/search.php?keywords=quinquinervia&fid[0]=87
You might also find some info and photos if you search APAB or Australian Native Plants as Bonsai. Canberra club have been hosting an exhibition and forum for many years. Photo records of the exhibit trees can also be found on Canberra Bonsai website.

M. q tends to have large leaves so usually suits larger sized bonsai. Peeling, papery bark is a feature and wild trees have great shapes.
hi mate , i just changed my profile, yes i'm from WA , i have a few melaleuca but not the broad leafed melaleuca, not sure how they respond to pruning ect

Top Bottom