Melaleuca sp.

Reaction score
A year ago I collected a root sucker from a Melaleuca. Not sure what type of Melaleuca. It grew quite well and I need to upgrade its pot so it continues to grow larger and thickens. What’s the best time to repot? I’ve read some conflicting information:
Some say best done in summer, others say spring when it starts growing. Any hands-on experience?

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
So many Mels look alike...
Not sure if you can narrow it down using one of these keys.

I find anytime from April to October is pretty good to do any type of work on them, as long as the night temps are mid teens or higher.
In saying that if I was just going to give it a bigger pot, better soil and not cut anything I'd do it now. I'm going to make an order soon for a few small starters and they always send them in tiny pots so the first thing I do is up pot them no matter the time of year.

To be fair we have mild winters here and yours are probably even more mild.

Reaction score
Thanks for the keys. Following it I believe it’s M. alternifolia.
Yeah I just need to up pot it. Will do as soon as weather gets a bit better.

another point. What’s your take on keeping a dish under the pot so it always has wet feet? I read it was good somewhere and I actually tried it this year as I was afraid that the young seedling would die by using a highly draining soil mix. It not only grew very well, it also put lots of roots through the draining holes. So apparently they like it

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Alternifolia was one of my guess's but didn't want to say for sure, it'd make sense though.
I think you'd be fine for a straight up repot now as it looks like the pot is split and the roots are exposed but if you can hold off until temps rise it'd be better. As long as it looks happy then a month or two may not be the worst thing.

Are those the roots in the water tray? If so that's cool.
Yeah water trays are a good thing especially if your tree seems to like it, normally that's what I'd do in summer when it's hot and windy. Cold, windy and dry is a killer too.
These grow by streams and swamps naturally so keeping water up is important.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I repot mels from late spring through summer. Others in warmer climes say they repot all year round with no problem.
There are many species of Melaleuca, some from swampy habitat and some from quite dry areas. I have a couple of species that seem to resent drastic root reduction. Most of those are dry area mels but M. alternifolia is OK for even drastic root reduction and will bud from bare wood if pruned hard.
I also use water trays for many mels if they seem to be struggling with water over summer but they will also grow well without if you can keep the water up to them during hot days. Dry area species may not do so well in water tray so it does pay to know the species.
Without flowers as a definitive check I would be comfortable with M. alternifolia as a probable ID for this one.

Ryceman3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I keep many different Mels in water trays, it works well, particularly over summer. From the species I have, it seems like the best course of action... too much water is not enough!
Looking good.
👍🏻🍺

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Valuable information. I love the foliage and the bright green of the new shoots

Reaction score
Was researching some and asked the agriculture and forestry services if there was a list of tree species used in urban green spaces. It took a while but I finally got a list of some species commonly used in city parks and roads around here. Considering this list, the only Melaleuca used is M. armilaris. Checking the web for images and it looks quite similar and had similar white flowers that I find here. So I suppose I got an ID. Now I need to find information about this species.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
You mention this was a root sucker from a larger tree. Melaleuca ericifolia has similar foliage and flowers but also suckers freely. I have not seen any reference to M. armilaris producing suckers but it is possible. Care and training of both species will be similar.

Top Bottom