Melaleuca

Ryceman3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thought I might put up a thread for this Aussie native. Been growing this from pretty humble beginnings about 3 years or so... actually it’s still pretty humble, but developing well... not sure of the exact melaleuca species, but it seems to like being a bonsai.
🍺
Here’s how it was a couple of years back
444A6146-3F5F-4E62-ACD3-04122CC5B90B.jpeg

... and here it is today...
122C97DC-5197-4B94-87CF-C0602E58164A.jpeg
It needs a pot, that’s the next task in about 6 weeks or so....

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would have to see the reverse side, but if this was my tree the center trunk like branch would already be gone ... or possible a deadwood feature. I think it is a bit too yin to be yang but that is only my view. I hope others chime in because I am curious as to their thoughts as well.

Hbhaska

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Nice work! I performed a hard chop several months ago and this thing (paparbark) backbuds like crazy. Your pictures give me ideas for styling my own. I will post some pictures later.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
It is really a lovely plant but I would strongly consider loosing the "middle trunk. Mentally block it out and see how nice that is.
I didn’t think of this at all when I first saw it as I like the image very much, but it’s an interesting idea, particularly when the foliage fills out more. The negative space it would leave would bring a nice balance. Then again removing it would accentuate the straight section of trunk it sits on, so I’m not sure. A nice “problem” to have.

Ryceman3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thanks for all the replies and feedback, I am happy to hear the opinions of others. It is a WIP and so I can see evolution continuing, particularly in relation to ramification. It actually was a little fuller but dried out and went a bit crispy in parts when I neglected to water. That was a couple of months ago so it is on the rebound.

In terms of the branch in question, I have looked at the option to remove it before when reviewing pictures of it, but it stays right now for 4 reasons :

1. It really only becomes totally apparent in photos/2D images, in real life the depth of the composition seems to remove (mask?) the issue somewhat. It is there, just not that obvious.
2. I kind of like the quirkiness of it, some days more than others ... but I've never felt so "against" it that I get out the cutters.
3. It is the main branch which adds foliage in the mid-back area, without it there is a big hole and a lot of the depth would be removed. This could be filled in/replaced, but the tree would become quite 2D while that was hgappening.
4. I'm in no hurry to decide on it, and so in the meantime it is adding thickness/weight and increasing taper in the trunk. Think of it like a manicured sacrifice branch maybe...?

Unfortunately I don't have photos from other angles right now, maybe I'll take some and post at some point, it might help with my explanation above.
🍺

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have the same situation with many trees that are nice in person, but look wrong in photos because of the lack of that 3rd dimension. We all do.
As true a statement as can be made. Something to consider when we look at anothers bonsai and think 'what if?'

Ryceman3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Gave this tree a bonsai pot in December, and then let it grow on over summer. I think it is filling in pretty nicely. Probably my favourite native at the moment.
🍺
Here it is in December (after the repot) ...
Mel Repot_1.jpg

... and here it is after a bit of a tidy up today ...
Mel-01_01AB.jpg

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like it is healthy. I see you have kept that center trunk.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
So, is Melaleuca an replacement for indoor Juniper?

Ryceman3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Looks like it is healthy. I see you have kept that center trunk.
Yeah… centre trunk stays for now.
If you have access to Instagram I have a post of it on there that includes a 360deg spin. This might help to explain why I’m keeping it both in terms of the importance of that branch to the silhouette as well as give a better understanding of how it fits with the rest of the design in 3D.
🍻

berzerkules

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love seeing people work with their native trees.

They get to work material that is readily available to them and showcase trees that many people would have never seen or heard about.

Top Bottom