Melted cheese nebari

satsuki

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I am afraid to ask, but how much were they?

Dr.GreenThumb

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello again :)

After this thread, I decided to perform my own experiments:

In 2010 I bought an Acer Ginnala.
After a few months in my hands, the main trunk died and the tree was weak.
Achat Juin 2010.jpg
It was planted in the garden for the rest of the year and went back in shape.

In 2011 I performed my first experiment on the roots and the tree was replanted at the same place.

Spring 2012: The 1st experiment was a success and the tree was ready for the 2nd step.
Avril 2012.jpgAvril 2012 - Dessous (2).jpg

Spring 2013: The roots grew as expected and it was placed in a pot for the 3rd experiment.
Avril 2013 (3).jpgAvril 2013 - Dessous (2).jpg

Dr.GreenThumb

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
November 2013: I removed the soil to check the roots and I was glad to see that they started to merge in the middle.
Galette Nov 2013.jpg Nebari (3).jpg
Nebari.jpg

As water didn't escape the pot properly (roots too dense), I decided to put it in a 50cm pot to avoid any problem during winter.
It's now ready for the final step, so I wanted an overview of the futur nebari (25cm) before I cover the rest of the roots with soil:
Futur nebari (3).jpgFutur nebari (2).jpg

I believe (and I'm apparently the only one :) ) that the roots will merge within 2 years on 25cm (it's already extremely dense and hard).
Note that this tree was never planted like other trees, I tried some innovative processes, both in earth and in the pot.
I'll describe in details what I've done once I get my Melted Cheese Nebari, if it works.

Have you guys done any experiment ?

Last edited:
Reaction score
why would you want this look? I have never seen this in nature. Then again I have never left this country. Maybe trees grow different in other places around the world?

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Interesting and cool results. I can see that working out real well for my Wife with her 1/2" deep containers. I have not tried that but she mentioned she wanted that done to a plum tree upcoming Spring.

Grimmy

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
why would you want this look? I have never seen this in nature. Then again I have never left this country. Maybe trees grow different in other places around the world?
You just need to move around more. ;)

I see this a lot in crape myrtle, even live oaks here. Not in same magnitude/proportion as some of these though.

Dr.GreenThumb

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
To each his own... :)

I'm trying to understand the process because it's challenging to merge roots.
And it can be interesting for us to be able to control shape and size on our nebari, no ?

Maybe an old maple tree that grew between stones could look like this, I dont know.
But most of the maples bonsai from Japan have such nebari, I find it really beautiful.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I see it to some degree on Myrtles here also, just not that radius. If that where a full size tree the roots would extent 150ft. on each side.lol

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I see it to some degree on Myrtles here also, just not that radius. If that where a full size tree the roots would extent 150ft. on each side.lol
You mush have very big Crape Myrtle there ...about 600 ft high??? I have to see one near that tall yet. Tallest I've seen is about 20 feet (if that).

Depending on your taste, approach, and design understanding of bonsai...that may be the goal. To some, bonsai is about exaggerated proportion to create an illusion of age/maturity viewed from a certain vantage point/perspective (usually near and below the tree).

Read Bonsai Aesthetics by Francois Jeker...it is a great condensed book that covers a lot and explains it in a concise but understandable manner (for me at least). ;)

Last edited:

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Last seen in 2014... I don't think he'll respond. FWIW a quick tap on his profile will show you this info.

D

Deleted member 21616

Last seen in 2014... I don't think he'll respond. FWIW a quick tap on his profile will show you this info.

was hoping the tag would pop up in his gmail inbox as it does for me :)

Top Bottom