Memorial Cedar Elm

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
About a week ago I got a call that my dad was in the hospital in east Texas. After a frantic and stormy flight down, I finally made it to the hospital just before he passed, evading a tornado on the way.

It was a bleak, painful week-long trip for the most part. However, my brother and I collected a cedar elm from southwest ten acres of my dad's land. Thought it would be a good way to remember my dad.

Although the tree was dug far, far, far out of season, I'm hoping it's got enough gas to push new shoots and live through the winter. If it doesn't, there are a few more down there.

Barerooted, tap chain sawed flat, a few feeders. Chopped tall. We'll see.

FWIW, if this one doesn't make it, there are dozens more.
First pic is of the tree at my house after being flown as baggage, second is of the woods where it came from--the raked area is around the collected tree. I also dug a smaller one. I've got more detailed pics of the collection process, but they're pretty tedious. I may post those later.

Attachments

• dadelm1.jpg
    dadelm1.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 138
  • dadelm2.jpg
    dadelm2.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 132

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My condolences RockM.

Know you're safe with you're father always able to look after you and yours now!

My love Brother!

Sorce

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Ah, so sorry to hear this Mark. I do hope the tree survives and you, your brother, and anyone else who knew your dad can think of him when they see the tree. I'll be thinking of you and your family.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Sorry for your loss Rockm. I think the tree will be a nice rememberance.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Sorry for your loss Mark. Nice way to remember the trip and your father.

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sorry for your loss. My condolences for you and ypur family in this difficult time.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Beyond the cedar elm, there's this guy. Which I plan on getting next spring. It is a white oak at the end of the driveway. It wiggles a bit when shoved, so it's roots probably don't run to China.

drivewayoak.jpg

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And the next person that tells me that "live oaks don't grow tall and straight" (I've heard that repeatedly from Cali. and even some southern live oak fans). THIS is how many grow in East Texas--tall with straight trunks...this is one at a nursery near the house. The trunk continues out of frame straightoak.jpg

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
And the next person that tells me that "live oaks don't grow tall and straight" (I've heard that repeatedly from Cali. and even some southern live oak fans). THIS is how many grow in East Texas--tall with straight trunks...this is one at a nursery near the house. The trunk continues out of frame View attachment 104814
Get 'em!!

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
my brother and I collected a cedar elm from southwest ten acres of my dad's land. Thought it would be a good way to remember my dad.

I planted a cherry tree in my parents' garden the year my elder sister died.

I don't believe in any god, but the flowers and the cherries remind me of her.

Whatever one's philosophical opinions or beliefs, there's a void that will never completely be filled out.

But the flowers and the cherries remind me of her.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry for the loss of your Dad. My dad is doing pretty good for 81, hope I make it that long.

That oak looks pretty good with the wiggle at the bottom.

That big oak is not straight....it has movement to the left, just like Cali:p

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
My condolences, buddy.
I wish I would have been doing bonsai when my dad passed and have the same cool idea as you.

Would love to see how this tree evolves

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So, this is encouraging. Hope this post doesn't jinx things.

dadelm3.jpg Lots of new growth a month or so from collection. Most of it is on the bottom third, but there is a very strong series of shoots at the top--. The entire chop site is callused around, indicating the entire trunk is alive, which means "fill in" buds are possible in spots were there aren't any currently.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
sorry about your loss and great way for your dad to live on!

Top Bottom