Memorial Cedar Elm

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Sorry about your loss, this spring I collected a fig that my grandmother had planted a few years before she passed. A tree really is a nice memory, as the passed can live on in it.

Aaron

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Is this tree leafing out?
I started thinking about my father and remembered this thread... I would have loved the possibility to have a tree to remember him with.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Actually I pulled an oak seedling for my brother in law when his mom died. I hope to make something put of it.

So... What's up with this tree???

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
nope didn't work out... sadly.

What about this one?
nope didn't work out... sadly.

What about this one?
Sorry, haven't been back here in a while to this thread.

The tree didn't make it. First flush of foliage was from inertia. After it, the tree just sat and did nothing. About a month after the new shoots came out, they started to get crispy and die back. The tree was gone in about a month.

That was sad, and it got sadder this past spring when we sold the place after my mom passed.

There is a bright spot, however. I got a cedar elm from Zach Smith at bonsaisouth that was originally collected from my parents' land.

It should arrive in a couple of days. Zach was able to get it and dig some trees before we sold the land. He was also able to collect at the right time and provide expert aftercare for what he collected.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
About a week ago I got a call that my dad was in the hospital in east Texas. After a frantic and stormy flight down, I finally made it to the hospital just before he passed, evading a tornado on the way.

It was a bleak, painful week-long trip for the most part. However, my brother and I collected a cedar elm from southwest ten acres of my dad's land. Thought it would be a good way to remember my dad.

Although the tree was dug far, far, far out of season, I'm hoping it's got enough gas to push new shoots and live through the winter. If it doesn't, there are a few more down there.

Barerooted, tap chain sawed flat, a few feeders. Chopped tall. We'll see.

FWIW, if this one doesn't make it, there are dozens more.
First pic is of the tree at my house after being flown as baggage, second is of the woods where it came from--the raked area is around the collected tree. I also dug a smaller one. I've got more detailed pics of the collection process, but they're pretty tedious. I may post those later.
Sorry for your loss. It does help to have special reminders of the person and memories. Nothing can replace a loved one, but the special objects that provide a connection are important through the grief process. I have bonsai that belonged to my son from his garden, as well as several we worked on together and one he worked on with his teacher. They all hold a special place in my collection.
As time goes on a tree from your dad's place will focus special memories of happier times!

Top Bottom