Memorial cork bark JBP

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Looking good! I'm about to decandle a yatsubusa tomorrow... I can't even see the candles it is just one massive green ball.

Last edited:

JRDillWFM

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Looks great after decandling! I only have one JBP currently that took a pretty big chop late last year so no decandling. It has some really bad reverse taper as well so I'm currently trying to figure out the best way to tackle it.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Please share updates. My corkbark JBP respond generally poorly to decandling.

I am by no means a JBP expert. But I have trouble with the cork bark varieties and find them (in general) to be much weaker than the standard lines.

I used to get small cork-bark trees from Gary Ishii, but he stopped grafting them due to the mortality issue.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Summer 2019. Growth looks really good, but the spring candles have no necks (The bare spot between last year’s needles and this ones). Maybe a bit weak after decandling last tear. Although healthy, I decided not to decandle this year - I just did some light thinning and needle pulling. Before and after work:

9A07640F-A08B-429B-8761-7835D02091C1.jpeg

497B74D4-A2E4-48D6-9D14-7EDA3FDBB2BA.jpeg

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Looking more vibrant this year than when you got it for sure.
I'm subbed to the thread, hope to learn a few techniques for
the one I got from Brent. No idea how I'll ever get wire on it.
You've done a good job with yours @markyscott

LOL @ the no necks this summer. My JWP went ballistic with very long bare necks and very long new buds this year.
I haven't fully decided yet though if that's all that bad or not. I think it's terrible, but next years growth will tell I think.

Tric in Aus

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi there, came Across this forum when searching for what to do with my grafted corking bark pine. No idea what type it is, but have carted it around for about 10years, bundled in with all the others. This year is first time I’ve really had a good look at it. Summer here, so after de-candleing and plucking needles I was amazed at the number of back buds. My big disappointment was the height the graft is now at....very unattractive!
Three questions: Based on your conversation and experience, is this a candidate for the glueing technique? Secondly, any ideas what type of corking pine it is? last but not least, what the heck do I do with the conglomeration in the middle of the tree? Cut off the leader and let them fight it out for another year then select the ones I want?

Attachments

• B28E3062-F2F6-4B64-89D1-B08B7215F76C.jpeg
    B28E3062-F2F6-4B64-89D1-B08B7215F76C.jpeg
    96.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 22FDD7B7-B088-492D-AF5E-A49C7E4581EA.jpeg
    22FDD7B7-B088-492D-AF5E-A49C7E4581EA.jpeg
    94.8 KB · Views: 33
  • B8A35003-15C9-4BD7-96EA-FA6951B1A4CC.jpeg
    B8A35003-15C9-4BD7-96EA-FA6951B1A4CC.jpeg
    96.7 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
You should start a new thread for this tree. This thread was pretty much closed with the sale of the original subject tree to new owners.

I would probably just plant the tree deeper. with the cork being just above the soil line. You won't have "nebari" but it won't look as strange.

As to designing the tree, more photos, with a plain white or plain black background. Take the photos with the lens of the camera level with the rim of the pot. Photos from 4 sides. This will give anyone trying to help a better perspective on the branch lay out.

Oh, and welcome to the forum. That is an interesting corker, I would love to have it to puzzle out on my bench. Rule number one, go slow with corkers. Your benevolent neglect was the best treatment possible for this tree. Don't do anything drastic. Start a new thread and we will all weigh in.

Mull over advice we give, and only do something if it really makes sense to you. By the way, your tree is too old to ground lay off the under stock. So if someone says to do it, they probably have no experience with corkers. You can air layer branches that are less than 3 years old, older than that and the air layer is likely to fail.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Agreed, definitely start a new thread. A guess on the cultivar is Kyokko Yatsabusa; mine is pictured. If you’re looking for styling advice, take good photos with the rim of the pot just below eye-level, against a plain background. Like this:
026159E7-EE9F-42F7-AE69-5E21B13CE68F.jpeg

Top Bottom