Memorial Forest planting

Hannahmm

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hello Everyone!

So to start off a good friend of mine that I have known for 25+ years killed himself this past summer. The last place him and his sister where together was the trail of cedars in Montana. The Western Red Cedar is his sister's favorite tree. In fact, her son that's due spring of 2018 she is giving the middle name of Cedar in memory of her brother. I was inspired to do a forest planting with a small "path" running through, I tossed around the idea of buying seedlings instead of growing them from seed for time's sake. However, I think it would mean more to have them grown and started by me.

Also, I just can't afford to buy the number of trees I would like for the setting. I might just save up to get them, in the long run, it will take less time that way than seeds. I understand some of the basics of forest planting and that Cedar might not be a great choice, also seedlings are not a great way to create them either, But regardless I am going to do it anyway. (It can grow with her son)

My questions here today is if anyone has some advice about forest planting. I already have the seeds and have been properly prepped and ready for planting so the actual forest construction is still a long way off yet.

Thank you all For any advice!

Last edited:

Ingvill

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't have any advice, I'm a complete rookie, but I love your idea and I wish you the best of luck with your project :)

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
You’ll want trees of different sizes/diameters - that’s a little harder with a single cohort of seeds all the same age, but you could grow some in the ground and some in pots . . .

Keep in mind that usually trees are developed individually and only later planted as a group together - good forests are not grown from a group of seeds or seedlings all planted together at once . . .

It’s a very nice gesture, and I’m sorry to hear of your loss. Just know that to do this tribute well, it will be years before you even have a group of trees in the same pot - you may want to consider an additional type of memorial if you’re seeking a more immediate catharsis.

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Also, just a quick aside, the trees in question are not true cedars. Real cedars belong to the genus Cedrus (in the pine family) and only occur naturally in the old world. The false cedars that occur in the US belong to the genus Thuja (in the cypress family) and are much closer to big junipers than actual cedars.

Just a ‘heads up’ in case she wants to rethink that middle name ;)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
People sometimes view suicide as weak.

I think it's a bold move.

Is there anything one can be more sure of?

Anyway.

The forest should have a large tree that died to protect the smaller ones.

As was likely close to the truth in your friend's sure mind.

Peace for the Child.

Sorce

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
I’m sorry about the loss of your friend. Where will the forest ultimately end up residing? Central OR was a rough climate for quite a few species to do well in. I haven’t seen Western Reds in bonsai collections or even the landscapes here. Colin’s advice is good. Obtaining different size material is a good start. Mixed species forests are difficult to pull off well. There is a core group of bonsai folks here in the bend area who get together from time to time. I can give you some contacts if you wish.

Hannahmm

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@ColinFraser So I have decided to go with seedlings after all. Money better spent in the long run. I hadn't planned on giving it to her right away (maybe a 1-3 yr) So I will get seedlings and put them in large buckets or boxes and let them develop a year or so and go from there. And as far as the name goes "Western Red Cedar" is what they are known as so that's what she calls them ha ha

I have lost three friends and a boyfriend to Suicide I think I can do without anymore.. But I think I like your dead tree idea @sorce ...Not sure what she will think though...

@Arcto heck yeah I would love to meet up with some fellow bonsai people! I can learn from everyone one I meet and would love to talk to someone that actually shares my interest in bonsai. And to answer your question, the trees will be here in Oregon until I give it to her. She lives in North Western Montana and they are everywhere there! so I will have to take extra precautions until I can give them to her.

I might be moving to New Princeton Oregon here in January and I think we will be at this location a while so maybe they can get planted in the ground there, grow zone I think is 6b-7b (not sure) o_O. I have moved 10 times in 8 years so I'm excited for the chance to settle a bit! Even if the town is 395 people ;)

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
People sometimes view suicide as weak.

I think it's a bold move.

Is there anything one can be more sure of?

Anyway.

The forest should have a large tree that died to protect the smaller ones.

As was likely close to the truth in your friend's sure mind.

Peace for the Child.

Sorce
Probably the most beautiful thing I’ve read on the subject. You’re a good soul.

Top Bottom