Mendocino Pygmy Cypress

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
and this little Pygmy cypress. It trunk base is 1 cm with 30 cm in height. It is perfect for literati project. This is a first time I know Pygmy cypress. Its leaves looks like California leaves but much smaller. It has lemon scent! I love it!
IMG_4436.JPG IMG_4439.JPG IMG_4461.JPG IMG_4438.JPG IMG_4467.JPG IMG_4466.JPG
Bonhe

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
Awww I’m liking the cypress! The foliage could be perfect for a literati, and the bark looks wonderful. You will do great things with it I’m sure.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
and this little Pygmy cypress. It trunk base is 1 cm with 30 cm in height. It is perfect for literati project. This is a first time I know Pygmy cypress. Its leaves looks like California leaves but much smaller. It has lemon scent! I love it!

LOL I picked one up as did Ian. Bob Shimon only brought eight to the show... and now I know where three of them went :)

I will post photos this afternoon. I was up there again this morning with Si.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
LOL I picked one up as did Ian. Bob Shimon only brought eight to the show... and now I know where three of them went :)
I will post photos this afternoon. I was up there again this morning with Si.
What is coincidence! We have the same thinking! Now I know who I will ask for help when I need! ;-) No, I only got one of three. I am not sure if it can survive in my area, it is why I took only one. In your and Ian's area, I think it should be fine because it is close to the coast. If it thrives in my area, I will ask Bob get me a big one next time he comes down here. He told me that few people bought it from him 2 years ago and it has been growing well, and those people come back this year to buy more from him!

Hi Tuan,

Did you get the care sheet for the Pygmy cypress from Bob? If not let me know and I can send you a copy.
Thanks for asking Ian. No, he did not give me the care sheet. Could you please send me one? Thank you very much Ian.
Bonhe

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
What is coincidence! We have the same thinking! Now I know who I will ask for help when I need! ;-) No, I only got one of three. I am not sure if it can survive in my area, it is why I took only one. In your and Ian's area, I think it should be fine because it is close to the coast. If it thrives in my area, I will ask Bob get me a big one next time he comes down here. He told me that few people bought it from him 2 years ago and it has been growing well, and those people come back this year to buy more from him!

Ian got a really nice one... small with a circular growth. As a bonus, his has a really nice, small manzanita in it! I have a soft spot for manzanita and I hope that he can get two trees for one price!

I was tempted to get a second dwarf cypress from Bob, but I hesitated for the same reason you did - I do not know how well it will do where we live. It looks like California juniper foliage, but soft and really green! I am also worried because it looks to be in really bad soil. I am worried about roots. So we will see... I am going to be very careful.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ian got a really nice one... small with a circular growth. As a bonus, his has a really nice, small manzanita in it! I have a soft spot for manzanita and I hope that he can get two trees for one price!

I was tempted to get a second dwarf cypress from Bob, but I hesitated for the same reason you did - I do not know how well it will do where we live. It looks like California juniper foliage, but soft and really green! I am also worried because it looks to be in really bad soil. I am worried about roots. So we will see... I am going to be very careful.
Ah, Ian, please post the picture of your tree, and you are too, Greg. I like to see them.
One of my friends gave me 2 really nice manzanita 8 years ago. Both of them died on me!
I think Bob used that soil to keep the tree alive like he stated in the paper.
Bonhe

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'll try to drop it here, let me know if it's readable or not.
View attachment 165534
Thank you very much Ian. I can clearly read it.
Did you notice a white deposit along the trunk of the tree? My tree is so far so good. I let it be in full morning sun next to my koi pond with the hope is that it can get more humidity there. Occasionally I also spray it with my "special solution" which I will keep a secret for now! ;-). ( It is my experiment) I will let you and Greg know in one year if it survives or not.
Bonhe

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thank you very much Ian. I can clearly read it.
Did you notice a white deposit along the trunk of the tree? My tree is so far so good. I let it be in full morning sun next to my koi pond with the hope is that it can get more humidity there. Occasionally I also spray it with my "special solution" which I will keep a secret for now! ;-). ( It is my experiment) I will let you and Greg know in one year if it survives or not.
Bonhe

Mine is doing great. It is receiving bright indirect light with a little bit of weak afternoon sun. I have not done anything to it at this point... just letting it settle in.

After seeing Ian's manzanita (that he received as a 'bonus' tree with his cypress) I made a special trip out to Tree of Life nursery and picked up two different manzanita species to play with. All of these tree will be getting repotted in the early spring (late Jan/early Feb)... though very cautiously.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mine is doing great. It is receiving bright indirect light with a little bit of weak afternoon sun. I have not done anything to it at this point... just letting it settle in.

After seeing Ian's manzanita (that he received as a 'bonus' tree with his cypress) I made a special trip out to Tree of Life nursery and picked up two different manzanita species to play with. All of these tree will be getting repotted in the early spring (late Jan/early Feb)... though very cautiously.
Can you create one post just for our pygmy cypress? or I may create one ;-)
Good luck to your manzanita.
Bonhe

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Ah, Ian, please post the picture of your tree, and you are too, Greg. I like to see them.

Here are a couple of pictures of my tree. Because of their slow growth, Bob said that they are much older than they look. He said he believed the larger one was over 100 years old.

mendo1.jpg

mendo2.jpg

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Greg,
I can not see well the upper trunk, but with its lowest trunk, I wonder why the bark is not rough as mine!
Bonhe

ianb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Not a great pic, but here is mine finally...the bonus Manzanita isn't doing too well though.

IMG_1717.JPG

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Oh my goodness. I was not able to watch the stream live last week, but just watched it now. Only 52 minutes because Ryan had to pre-record it because he was traveling to Italy. But if you want to know about this species the stream is priceless. Much of it is time-lapse, so it shows him doing 8-10 hours of work on a single planting.

One thing that was very interesting: Ryan considers this species extremely strong and fast-growing. He plants this species in 100% acadama.

Last edited:

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What the heck! I went to garden this early morning and found this!
IMG_5377.JPG

It is completely broken!!! It is big lesson for me. The tree has been doing well here with a lot of new leaves. I think the top is too heavy for the trunk to support it in slanting position, so the tree gave up! At night time, the mist added on the weight for the canopy!
IMG_5378.JPG IMG_5379.JPG

However, I will try to do a big cutting for it. I had to use rootone to assist in cutting which I did not use it most of the time. Cross my fingers!!!
IMG_5381.JPG
Bonhe

Last edited:

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
At first I was like WOW, that bark is incredible!

Then I thought what a boss literati that will make.

Then I saw the tragedy! That beyond sucks, can’t imagine the stomach drop when you first saw it! Hopefully the cutting strikes

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
What the heck! I went to garden this early morning and found this!

That is horrible! I repotted mine about a month ago into an Anderson flat and have it propped up with a board. I never thought that a cypress could just snap like that. No dogs in your backyard? Big birds?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Limit reached.

Cheers for having the balls to take it there in the first place.

Lesson Learned.

Sorce

Top Bottom