Merging Bougie Trunks?

TooCoys

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I’ve got several varieties of Bougies now - Barbara karst, San Diego red, bengal orange, violet, and a pixie pink.

I’ve started cutting from all of them and wondered how I go about taking cuttings from all of them and getting them to “merge” trunks to make a multi color tree?

Any advice?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You want advice? You can't handle advice! (imagine the voice of Jack Nichols) Don't do it. They will grow at different rates which will look funny, and worse, they will flower at different times and that will look even funnier. Imagine them flowering one at a time. Like that image? In your mind's eye, you will see the four that aren't in flower and one odd-ball that is will conflict in your brain. It will look like the flowering one is well and the other parts are sick. They may all be of a slightly different habit, like the leaf size and internode length. Have you ever seen a Rose of Sharon with multiple colors in bloom, like the pink, white and blue one? The parts of the tree are unequal, and only 1/3 blooming at any given time. I get the willies when I see one.

I'll leave it to a more experienced hand to instruct you on grafting individuals together.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I've never seen big bougies merge themselves like ficus naturally will, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

I've sen in Thailand (and Taiwan?) that they graft many different colors on to the same root stock. That seems like the slickest way to achieve your goal.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
They wont fuse together at all, trunks just rub together as they grow.
I'm guessing grafting is the way to go here but that isn't something I have done.

Top Bottom