Mesh baskets

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Rick, I must protest. Your old monkey avatar was, perhaps, less handsome, but still very dear to my heart. I shall miss him. :( It's hard to read what is probably a fine post of yours through my tears.

Will
Unfortunately I no longer have that avatar. It was used during my rebellious phase ;) I'm sorry :eek:

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
... only partially correct. The subsequent transfer into larger colanders requires the smaller one to be removed prior to the move etc... Although the root ball remains intact, all new growth into the larger colander is lost but:-- doing this forces back budding along the roots.

Rick, if you look at the old JBP development articles in Bonsai Today or in the Stone Lantern Pines book, I believe they just put the smaller colander into a big colander, without removing the small colander.

On the other hand, if you had enough root colonization, you might be able to remove the small colander and place the rootball into a larger colander without disturbing the rootball.

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Rick, if you look at the old JBP development articles in Bonsai Today or in the Stone Lantern Pines book, I believe they just put the smaller colander into a big colander, without removing the small colander.

On the other hand, if you had enough root colonization, you might be able to remove the small colander and place the rootball into a larger colander without disturbing the rootball.

Yes I have the book. True on both counts, if you are only using two. If you use more than two, you have to somehow get rid of the first colander. Mind you you shouldn't need more than 2 to achieve what you need to do.

But if you know that you are going to be needing more than two, I would opt with a slip pot into the 8" and then place the 8 in a 10" when that time comes.

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Rick, I must protest. Your old monkey avatar was, perhaps, less handsome, but still very dear to my heart. I shall miss him. :( It's hard to read what is probably a fine post of yours through my tears.

Will

Does this one work for you? :D

Top Bottom