Mesh for pot holes

remist17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I have been using black mesh I purchased from Lowes that is used for Tar roof patch backing(called patching fabric). The material seems to be a plastic base or nylon combination. The holes are small probably less than 1/16" x1/16" maybe 1/8" x 1/8". Is this to small? Is there anything that can be purchased locally (Lowes, HD, Wal-Mart) that can be used for the mesh?
Here is the link to what I have been using
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=12045-29-4502-GA&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=1006803&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=rel&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

I was thinking this could work also.....
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=11632-205-85198&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3009380&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

Last edited:

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I don't think it really matters. I use drywall tape...

macdad

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I also use drywall tape. If you like the thicker plastic mesh, you can buy that in 8x10 sheets for approximately $0.50 at your local hobby store or fabric store. I believe it is used for a type of cross-stitch.

ChrisR

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
If it's 1/16" (1.58mm) and not 1/8"(3.17mm) you may be too small. Grab a quarter to check (They are 1.75mm thick). Fujiyama mesh is 2mm so that may be a good size to aim for. A presidential dollar is 2mm thick and could be used to check when shopping.

If what you have is rigid enough and it works with your mix, it works :)

Last edited:

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Agreed, if it keeps your soil in the pot, it is doing it's job as long as it allows water out freely.
With Smoke telling us all to use large media, pretty soon the potters will just need to reduce the drain hole size a bit and we wont need to put any mesh in at all!

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
do you only use mesh to keep soil from falling out? Are you concerned that if the mesh is too small that it can clog?
The mesh mentioned by Macdad is a good solution from Michaels, or hobby centers. It is for knitting of some sort.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Agreed, if it keeps your soil in the pot, it is doing it's job as long as it allows water out freely.
With Smoke telling us all to use large media, pretty soon the potters will just need to reduce the drain hole size a bit and we wont need to put any mesh in at all!

Ha! Funny you should say that. The trees I grow out in nursery containers have about a 1 inch by 1 inch holes in it. I do not have mesh in them to keep my soil in. It is large enough that it just interlocks and bridges the holes. I don't lose any soil. After the roots fill the pot no soil could come out anyway.

Attachments

• DSC_00040001.JPG
    DSC_00040001.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC_00050002.JPG
    DSC_00050002.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC_00060003.JPG
    DSC_00060003.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC_00070004.JPG
    DSC_00070004.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 51

remist17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
So if the mesh is small it is a issue? The water drains out quickly as I use turface/pumice and bark.

Last edited:

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I was using that drywall tape, but I switched to the cross stitch mesh you can pick up at craft stores. The tape was working fine, but I was always worried that it might lose it's fortitude after being wet so often and let the soil spill out.

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
I was taught and have personally experienced that the mesh also keeps pests out of your pots. Anytime I'm caught slipping slugs end up having their way inside my pots. Its not good as they kind of excavate soil out. Roots can also dislodge the mesh hence why we secure it in place with wire. Both of these reasons completely rule out using something like drywall tape

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Glad this thread came up because I've got drywall tape in everything I've repoted so far and was a little worried if it would hold up. I use a small square of duct tape on each side to keep it from moving. Also it has a glue on it to help it stick to the drywall but figured it would wash out maybe before the roots could get down to it. Wasn't sure if it would be harmful to the trees.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I've yet to have a problem with drywall tape. Holds up great.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I water every other day mostly except if its real hot then its everyday and since I was worried about it I'm always watching the water as it drains. It seems after the soil gets soaked it drains as fast as I pour it in. This was my first year using the drywall tape but if it does as well next year it will be time to repot most of them anyway. Might be to small for some soils but I'm 90% inorganic.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
For starters you don't use organics that break down. Plus you are indoors without slugs

For starters yes I do use organics on quite a few of my trees. They're in a purely organic mix. My trees are out half the year where they do encounter slugs. Let's not turn this into a pointless argument just because one person disagrees with another. Tired of fights on this board.

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
For starters yes I do use organics on quite a few of my trees. They're in a purely organic mix. My trees are out half the year where they do encounter slugs. Let's not turn this into a pointless argument just because one person disagrees with another. Tired of fights on this board.

Oops meant organic fertilizer I forget that people still use organics in their soil ;) in general I think it's important to share all of our experiences to help others avoid the same mistakes and/or problems that we have experienced. That's all ive done is tell others the problems that will likely result from using a non secured fine mesh. Furthermore I've repotted trees where I had thought no screen was used and an 1" into the root mass low and behold I find the screen half swallowed by the roots. Result: large air pockets surrounding drain holes as there was nothing preventing soil from washing out of holes

Top Bottom