Mesh sided alternatives to Anderson Flats? Like larger pond baskets?

Cypress

Shohin
Reaction score
Hey all,
So I'm going to be putting some trees in training boxes. I'm going to use pond baskets for a number of my smaller trees. But I have larger trees and some larger trees I'll be collecting that i would like to put into something like an Anderson flat. But at the same time I would like to have the benefit of "air pruning" with all 4 sides being "mesh". Just like pond baskets, though the largest size bond baskets seems to be 10"x10". Does anyone know of anything like this in dimensions closer to Anderson flats? Like 17x17x4? Or are there larger sized pond baskets out there that I just havnt discovered? I suppose I could always reengineer an anderson flat. Drill a bunch of tiny holes in the sides or something like that. Thanks

-Mike

Cypress

Shohin
Reaction score
Haha, that's a pretty great article. I was thinking your design was pretty ingenious, alot more straightforward than having to build a wooden frame first. But then again buying something for three bucks is a bit easier! Though doesn't satisfy the male urge to build things regardless of whether it's necessary haha.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Haha, that's a pretty great article. I was thinking your design was pretty ingenious, alot more straightforward than having to build a wooden frame first. But then again buying something for three bucks is a bit easier! Though doesn't satisfy the male urge to build things regardless of whether it's necessary haha.

If you bought 36 inch wide hardware cloth you could get a basket about 18x18x4 inches.

Or you could order these.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A7B3644/ref=pe_214850_102111500_em_1p_1_ti

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Great info in the links here. Thanks for posting. This is the kind of stuff I eat up and keep me busy fiddling with until Spring!

And for those who may not already, follow all the great blogs you can. I've learned a ton from them.

aphid

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I use pond baskets for my Japanese maples. The trees in the baskets are actually doing better than the ones in the wooden barrels. I'm taking all the ones in the barrels out this spring and will just grow veggies in the barrels instead.

http://www.thewatergardener.com/pro...ng-basket?utm_source=googlepla&utm_medium=cpc

Here's a picture from 2 years ago. I have since double-basketed all of them with a layer of landscape mesh between the baskets to help conserve water and keep out weeds that were going on the sides. You don't need to do that if you can water everyday. Besides watering issues, the only problem is the size. A few of these Japanese maples are now too big so I'm moving them into 19" x 15" x 5" plastic trays ($8 at the Container Store).

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have since double-basketed all of them ...

I really cannot understand why this is necessary or if it even have any advantage. All I can see is negative...then again, I may be just missing it.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Lol that article gave me a good laugh Smoke.

Using the wire mesh was a great idea though but Id have to agree with your wife's solution more.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I really cannot understand why this is necessary or if it even have any advantage. All I can see is negative...then again, I may be just missing it.

You might find it useful to research information on air pruning.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
^^ Methinks Dario was referring to 'double basketed', Vance, hence the quote.

Can't air pruning be achieved with just one pond basket .... ? Why two? I don't think I've read a logical reason why to use 2 ...

Last edited:

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Well, I hate to say it but am also confused by this.

aphid

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have double baskets so I can have plastic weed preventing mesh between the 2 baskets. Like I mentioned, these baskets are great for aeration so my soil dries out too much. I can't water everyday so they dry out too fast. The mesh helps hold moisture longer. If you water your plants everyday, then you don't have to worry about the baskets drying out.

aphid

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The point of air pruning is for the roots around the edges to dry out so more roots grow. But if the whole pot keeps drying out, you may just lose the whole tree. I hope this is clear now. Sorry for the confusion.

red

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hey all,
So I'm going to be putting some trees in training boxes. I'm going to use pond baskets for a number of my smaller trees. But I have larger trees and some larger trees I'll be collecting that i would like to put into something like an Anderson flat. But at the same time I would like to have the benefit of "air pruning" with all 4 sides being "mesh". Just like pond baskets, though the largest size bond baskets seems to be 10"x10". Does anyone know of anything like this in dimensions closer to Anderson flats? Like 17x17x4? Or are there larger sized pond baskets out there that I just havnt discovered? I suppose I could always reengineer an anderson flat. Drill a bunch of tiny holes in the sides or something like that. Thanks

-Mike

This sounds like what you're looking for, but unfortunately they just recently went out of stock. I'm going to keep looking for these from other suppliers.

aphid

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No luck finding black ones. But I found that getting it on eBay will be more expensive because you have to pay shipping for each one. Try this site.

For the 21" x 17": http://www.eliterestaurantequipment.com/thunder-group-plastic-square-colander-21-3-4-plfb001.html

For the 18" x 13": http://www.eliterestaurantequipment.com/thunder-group-plastic-square-colander-18-plfb003.html

I tried putting 15 in the shopping cart. Shipping is only $15 for Massachusetts!

Last edited:

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have double baskets so I can have plastic weed preventing mesh between the 2 baskets. Like I mentioned, these baskets are great for aeration so my soil dries out too much. I can't water everyday so they dry out too fast. The mesh helps hold moisture longer. If you water your plants everyday, then you don't have to worry about the baskets drying out.

Can't you just add a little organic matter to the mix instead, eg rough peat??

Top Bottom