Metal Grootvader's First Juniper

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
NOW WHAT!?!?!?!?!?!
It's in a 4" pot.
Not even sure what type of juniper.
I saw it and even my girlfriend was like "you need that".

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's hard to see with that old rubber band thingee in there, but it looks to have nice lil branching.!

Are you going to butcher it?

I totally would!

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I am thinking of doing a formal upright.....not.
Ok, is that little pot going to be a problem? We've had some HARSH winters last couple years in the Buckeye State.

Do I do any pruning, wiring, repotting, petting it until the needles fall off yet? IT'S MY PRECIOUSSSSS!!!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Go watch Colin Lewis' tutorial about wiring. It's on www.craftsy.com. It's free, but you have to register. Once in, search for "bonsai".

You should use copper with a juniper.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Small pot'll be easy to mulch down into a bigger pot! No root work!

You Might as well go wild with the top.
But please, Be selective, and keep your close branches.

I'd stare at it for a long time.
Clean that band out, remove the brown loose stuff, and you'll start seeing something.
Go wild, but take your time.

This is fun! Make a tree that you can't get a lure stuck in!

Sorce

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's a procumbens juniper. Very winter hardy. Mulch it in on the north side of your house. Until it freezes you will have to water occasionally to make sure it doesn't dry out. Once it freezes solid you don't have to do a thing.
It will turn a funky color. Almost a purple copper color. Don't worry. That is what they do. They take the winters here just fine so a winter in Ohio will be a breeze.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
and then I freaked out and stopped pruning....I need better tools. Used my fly tying scissors. But You can see it better. No clue how I want to approach this and that annoying big branch with new growth has me perplexed (like all the other branches)

So for now taking a deep breath..

and posting like Sorce.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When you took that deep breath. .........

I think you sucked in all of the low branches by accident. You have to be careful breathing around such small trees! Large breaths seem to remove any chance of thickening the low trunk.
IMG_20151030_025903.jpg

Why do think they wear those dust masks in Japan? It's not for diseases!

.........that was seriousness kept light.

Good things! You still have enough foilage for it to survive! The right thing to do now would be leave it!

But for our entertainment, you could wire that cascade down! Or up!

Sorce

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would just overwinter it for now. Dont cut any more off and dont repot now. In the spring, put some wire on it and put some shape into that cascade. I wouldn't do that now because bending it as much as you will need to to make it interesting will damage the cambium. Doing that before winter isn't a good idea. In spring, it will be able to heal the damage. It won't if you do it now.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would leave it alone....outside....and let it grow...a lot, unless you are looking for a thumb sized tree. Junipers do take awhile to grow...but they do grow....outside. Not indoors.

Research Junipers online ... Text articles and YouTube videos. There is plenty out there. Check a Google search for .... Juniper Bonsai images. You'll get a lot to study over and think about. Then, let the tree grow bigger.

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'd also put a little bend in the trunk, then it'll be interesting.
CW

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
then I freaked out and stopped pruning....

Good! Honest it is far better to grow and learn to grow any species before you really work them. Honest my Wife killed so many Juniper varieties working them rather then getting them established and learning them she has requested I never get her anymore. On the other side of the coin they do well for me as I let them grow and acclimate a full year. I have 5 that I have been growing for 5, 4 and 3 years that were not even slip potted until this past Spring. The only work they received along the way was cleanup and trimming - the result is that they are doing great and I can work them pretty rigorous without them skipping a beat. I usually advise people to get 4 -5 of a species they are interested in even if tiny and learn them - It will save you a LOT of time and money down the road and you will have much better plants. At that point if you are confident it is also easier to spring out with bigger dollars as you know you can keep them... learning, growing, learning, dying, all part of the bigger picture.

Grimmy

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
bigger picture

All I have to know to trust Grimmy!

Another tell tale sign. Hard one to catch, but way more important than my quickly approaching Imperial Masterpiece title!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Go watch Colin Lewis' tutorial about wiring. It's on www.craftsy.com. It's free, but you have to register. Once in, search for "bonsai".

You should use copper with a juniper.

Finally had time to watch this!

Excellent video! Thanks Adair! Colin!

I still was making a few mistakes.

NOT ANYMORE!

I might go find my worst Juniper and wrap it up!
I can't wait!

Sorce

Top Bottom