Metal halides?

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
"local hydroponic store"

Duuuude, you got a local headshop? Wow...:) The local Po-Po keep an eye on those down here. If you walk out with light fixtures, they will follow you home with a FLIR camera to examine your home for a grow operation...

Another source for halide fixtures is the aquarium supply store. Look in the reef tanks. No, not the "reefer" tanks...
Haha actually there were some sketchier customers there, pretty boldly if you ask me. They were growing some serious tomato plants in there under hps I'll say that.

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Lmfao!!! Rockm that light setup I was talking about was for a reef tank I had for years which I had to break down and sell everything due a motorcycle accident and not being able to take care of it for the year I was bed ridden.

Didn't want to sell the tank and equipment because I was going to get back into it but found a new hobby to spend my hard earned $ on. Why must hobbies be so expensive!

But like you said... Explore aquarium stores for alternative lighting. I used to get and still get my bulbs and pet supplies from Thatpetplace.com. Very good prices!!!

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
That has been the general consensus I have noticed actually, people are suggesting t5hos and this is why o hanged my mind. I guess I'll keep this updated with progress and results

T5 HO and HO compact florescent are completely different though. T5 is a straight bulb. HO comp are 2 bulbs side by side. The 36" bulbs are 96watts each. It was my choice for my tank because they don't get anywhere near as hot as a MH putt out great lighting and are cheaper to run.

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know that you are joking about the police using FLIR cameras to catch pot growers. The Supreme Court ruled in 2001 on this issue, that police have to have a valid search warrant before they use such equipment to invade your privacy. It keeps them from busting down the doors of people using grow lights for legal purposes, like growing bonsai. And no, walking out of the hydro store with grow equipment is not reason enough for a warrant. The equipment is perfectly legal.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Didn't say equipment was illegal, just that hydroponics stores can be on the local police's list of places to swing by on occasion.

"The Supreme Court ruled in 2001 on this issue, that police have to have a valid search warrant before they use such equipment to invade your privacy.

Wouldn't spending a lot of money on high-intensity indoor lighting at the the local "hydroponic store" to grow plants indoors go a ways in obtaining such a warrant?...;-)

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It was my choice for my tank because they don't get anywhere near as hot as a MH putt out great lighting and are cheaper to run.

The most efficient lighting source (in terms of lumen / kWh electricity) are LED's (as of the last couple of years).
Next would be metal halides.
HO fluorescents (T5 or compact) come next.
Standard and regular compact fluorescents come last.
It all depends on the bulbs used, as well as electronics used to drive the bulb. The BEST HO fluorescent is about as good as the WORST metal halide.

Actually metal halides are MUCH more efficient (even now) than LED's in converting electricity to "radiant energy". Problem is, half of that energy is infrared. :)

Get used to LED's. They are improving at about the same rate as computer components. Their price is dropping 50% every three years, while their efficiency is improving. In our lifetimes LED's will replace all common lighting applications. Glass bulbs / warm lights / lights that "burn out" / lights that need to warm up or cool down - they will all go the way of the typewriter (or buggy whip). Compact fluorescents are a stop-gap technology until LED's start replacing them (in the next 3-5 years). LED prices still have to drop about 50% for broad market adoption.

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wouldn't spending a lot of money on high-intensity indoor lighting at the the local "hydroponic store" to grow plants indoors go a ways in obtaining such a warrant?...;-) No, it would go nowhere at all, it being another issue the Supreme Court has ruled on.

You are right BonsaiNut, Walmart already lights all their parking lots with LED lights. My electrician friends say in 5-10 years it will be all we use.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Anyone have any input about how the light will shine through thr 4 mil poly? And how close to the bulbs should the trees be?

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you wrap your setup in poly you are going to have some airflow problems that can result in disease. How humid do you need it to be ? Your trees should not need super high levels of humidity.

Place the bulbs within several inches of your trees, as close as you can without burning the leaves.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'd like to have the humidifier keep the trees from our dry winter air in the house while it would also raise the temp to probably 75 or so. Just turn it on for a few minutes in the morning and have it retain some heat and humidrt while I'm at work is all.

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Get yourself a digital hygrometer so you know exactly how dry your house is. If it is above 30% you are fine. If you want to heat your plants a better way would be with a rooting mat with a thermostat. Hygrometer - $15. Rooting mat - $25.

Top Bottom