Metasequoia - Cones!!

GreatLakesBrad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Dawn Redwood is my favorite species. Grandfather and father both had them in their yards as a kid. Been in my current house since 23 (ten years), and am planning to move next spring.

I have several Dawn prebonsai material including my largest and best tree (humbly) that I’ve shared here. Lovely trees. My big dawn will be styled as a conifer, but in nature they grow in a flame shape, with upward growth and the base of the flame at the base of the tree, with growth shrowding the trunk. I’d love to pull off this design for a bonsai some day- naturalistic dawn.

ANYWAY. B86C5E82-7BD7-4D5B-974A-B5F9068D8EEC.jpeg559C3464-C95D-4EBC-B973-740EE785FF96.jpegFor the first time, after being in the ground for ten years - the larger of my two Dawn is producing cones! They are lovely. Apparently only produced in locations with hot summers - I suppose Michigan could qualify.

I’m thrilled as the younger of the two will be moved to the new house, but this one is too large. So I can now take the genetics and lineage to the new place! (I’ve already taken cuttings but you know what I mean!)

Any other folks with dawns producing either landscape or bonsai?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Totally cool. Obviously your Metasequoia did not read the article telling it that it should only produce cones in long hot summer climates.

Mine are all too young to produce cones. So far.

Glad you will be taking at least your second biggest with you to the new place.

I love how rapidly they grow, and trunk up. Really a good vigorous tree, almost too vigorous. Winter hardy too.

Top Bottom