Method to grow branches fast on Bourgies?

Aiki_Joker

Shohin
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I got some advice here on internode spacing and started to experiment recently. Most know about the spacing scenario at different light levels. But I thought I'd share this anyway and apply it to speeding the process of branch growth and thickening.

If someone has a stump or cutting that they need branches on quickly they seem to grow out and thicken faster if in full to partial shade.

I grew these branches out to about 16 sets of leaves over a month then cut them back and hardened the plant from full shade to full sun. Now the foliage is compact and the branches are pretty much at the right thickness.

I find that branches don't thicken or grow as fast if in full sun. Makes sense really as the plants purpose is to optimise light ulilisation and in full sun it does not require to move it's leaves closer to a light source.

The lengthening of the internodal space serves this purpose without adding expensive biomass that the plant has no guarantee of supporting if it doesn't find the light it requires.

We can exploit this, but it requires good timing with this plant as it really shoots up and these thick branches are quite brittle on this plant. The other bourgie I have does not have such brittle branches.

Buds to branches in shade
20160604_164520.jpg
20160629_195327.jpg

Then to sun to develop shorter internodal spaces and compact foliage
20160923_075833.jpg

Thanks to everyone for the advice here. Cadillactaste was the guy who pointed it out. I was familiar with the concept having studies plant and soil science back in the day, but not the plant so didn't know the potential.

This advice saved me a lot of time as I may have grown this out and had to cut it back many times to achieve what I was looking for :0)

Aiki_Joker

Shohin
Reaction score
Anyone else have ideas on growing branches fast? Maybe something on the roots or fertilisers?

Aiki_Joker

Shohin
Reaction score
Ha ha ha. Can't find heavy gauge Cu wire here. Nightmare :)

Aiki_Joker

Shohin
Reaction score
Also wasn't sure how fast this would thicken so left it super loose. Had to cut more off a ficus than planned cos wire was digging in after just 3 months!!

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Aiki_Joker,

let me see if I can get an image of a pink pixie, that K dug with a basic shovel [ a tractor could not move it.]
It was about 3 weeks ago given it's first pruning since being dug and repotted.

My suggestion - ground grow.

Good Day
Anthony

KayaMooney

Mame
Reaction score
If you're trying to get quick results try using a higher ratio time release fertilizer. Low ratio organic fertilizers are typically suggested for older more refined trees, especially Juniper and Pines as they don't backbud as fruitfully when compared to tropical species.

Aiki_Joker

Shohin
Reaction score
Thanks kaya. High ratio of what to what though? High ratio N? Unfortunately will have to wait until I get back at Christmas to get time release as there is none in Oman :(

Aiki_Joker

Shohin
Reaction score
Nice specimen @Anthony !

Too big for me though. There are lots of huge specimens like this here, but too big to move around easily :(

Aiki_Joker

Shohin
Reaction score
This tree dried out when I was away (poor watering from the guy here :( ). Lost all leaves. Now repotted in a plastic pot I brought back from the UK at Christmas time. Repotted and root pruned too soon I think :/20170128_042829.jpg It is inside at 22 degrees C with a light fan. Leaves popped outside after the repot then dried off in bad weather here (wind and rain).

Pretty severe root pruning.

Inside the tiny new leaves are surviving though two days in now:20170205_125124.jpg

Aiki_Joker

Shohin
Reaction score
Got this tree back to UK recently and all OK. It is indoors (winter) though and hope I can move it out in summer it's slowed right down and dropped some leaves. Scottish boarders might be a bit risky outside without a greenhouse :0/20171121_130245.jpgRepotted and pruned after a few months acclimatisation and 5000 miles travel!
20171122_124925.jpg
20180122_120454.jpg

Top Bottom