Methods for Protecting Seedlings from Pests?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hi everyone,

In the coming weeks, I will be moving several hundred tree seedlings into raised beds for their first season. What types of measures do you guys to protect against birds, mice, chipmunks, etc. ?

I almost bought some fox urine, but dang is that stuff expensive!

Thanks,

-Kirk

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
A .22 rifle, a rocking chair, and whiskey. It worked for my papaws garden.

What about building a wire cage/fence? I'm sure it would be rather large, but I would imagine it would be the best available if you could build one to suit your garden.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
A .22 rifle, a rocking chair, and whiskey. It worked for my papaws garden.

What about building a wire cage/fence? I'm sure it would be rather large, but I would imagine it would be the best available if you could build one to suit your garden.
I was going to suggest 1/4" wire mesh fence too. I dont think birds should be much of a problem, but rodents like to graze. I'll be doing exactly this next fall when I move trees from benches to the ground for winter storage.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Birds will definitely go after some seedlings, so to be safe you'd probably want to put mesh over the top of whateve structure you create. You need pretty fine mesh to keep out mice and voles (if you have them). Thicker mesh will work against things like groundhogs and rabbits but it must be tall enough and secured at the bottom (or buried) to keep them from climbing over or burrowing under.

A lot depends on your environment and what kinds of critters you have around.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I think I'll go with a combination of plastic owl, wire mesh, and fox urine - until I save up enough for a greenhouse

Top Bottom